Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide on a first car to buy. I refuse to have a slow car, doesn't have to be lightning, but quite nippy. Power steering would also be handy. Any advice on what car's a suitable first car, like cheap insurance cheap to buy, yet quite fast with power steering?

I was looking at a 1.4 litre nissan almera, but my friend says its slow so...

Please advice?

ReputationRep:
    Could always go for a Ford Fiesta Zetec S.

1.6 and relatively nippy (not fast). Handles very well and is only insurance group 10 (I think!).

How much you got to spend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    is only insurance group 10 (I think!)
    Sorry for being naive, but what on earth are insurance groups? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Sorry for being naive, but what on earth are insurance groups? :confused:
    I'm not sure how they're worked out (i'm assuming the larger the engine, the higher the group) but the lower the insurance group the cheaper your insurance will be
    Ranges from 1-20, i believe

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, budget wise, £1000 I'm thinking.

ReputationRep:
    You want a fast car for a grand?
    lol ok.

Best bet is, I guess, a Porsche 924.

ReputationRep:
    Peugeot 205 GTi?
    You could get one of those for about a grand (according to autotrader)

You could also get a Golf GTi for under a grand, depending on how old you want to go (Mid 80s ones are on there for about £600)

I got my fiesta zetec for £1100, and that does me fine,
    I dont feel the need for a faster car, yet =P

ReputationRep:
    Some good suggestions there, thank you. By fast I don't mean extraordinarily, just enough so I can have some fun and not get left at the traffic lights.

Probably going to get bashed for this but i personally love Vauxhall Corsa's (new model) I think for how cheap they are they are a very good quality car, have PS and are quite 'nippy' in my opinion (Except for when your central locking just stops fecking working :mad:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olyy)
    Peugeot 205 GTi?
    You could get one of those for about a grand (according to autotrader)

You could also get a Golf GTi for under a grand, depending on how old you want to go (Mid 80s ones are on there for about £600)
    Peugeot 205 GTi and Golf MKII GTi are two of the finest FWD hot hatches ever. But insurance reflects this - the Golf is group 16 if I remember right, and I imagine the Peugeot is similar. So, it would cost around £1000 for the car, but at least £2500 on insurance for a brand new driver with 0 years NCB.

ReputationRep:
    Dayum. Never knew choosing a car would be so hard.

It would probably be more practical to buy a cheap run around for a year so that your insurance will go down dramatically.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it would. However faster cars are so much better.

ReputationRep:
    How much driving experience do you have? If little I would not have 205 GTI as a first car unless you have a death wish.

ReputationRep:
    you are going to get bummed on the insurance for a quick car - ROFLMAO at the suggestion of a mk1/2 GTi - I was quoted £5k p.a on one! - that had to be sold!! I would say get 12 months no claims and EXPERIENCE first - as AT28 says,
    Young inexperienced driver + fast FWD car usually= torque steer of death.
    205 GTi torque steer like nothing else from that time - a hoot if you can control it, wouldn't want one for an everyday first car. I think you need to assess how much you can afford to spend on insurance before you try and get a quick car, as with only £1k to spend on the car, I doubt you can afford to insure something truly quick. Personally I wouldn't want to drive something 'warm' as you pay through the nose for average performance - the stuff that gets dicked on by family cars (not cool ) so may as well go for slow and steady until you have some experience and NCB behind you, then get something fun - I'm waiting until after I'm out of uni for when I buy my first real car.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.