Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, my question is quite simple (if a little unusual): Can I bring two calculators into exams with me? (obv not including c1)

I have a Casio fx-83ES which I love and used in c2 and got me 91% which I was quite happy with, but I literally would of been at 97%~ if I had had time to answer the last question(s) on the paper :argh:. I am more or less certain I can use a graphic calculator to shave time off of my exam workings, which will *really* help me with my % in the results.

But, at the same time my graphic calculator is somewhat lacking (as far as I can tell). For instance, I love the fraction/surd functions on my normal calculator (that it can give answers in terms of fractions and surds etc). And also, that you can WRITE questions in proper fractions etc. This in itself is a time saver.

Is there a better alternative to the Ti-89+ ? I got it as a present, but if I can get something that can give answers or let you enter equations in fractions etc, I would definitely think about buying it.

Obviously if I could have one calculator that does both I would do, but I've got what I've got. Can I take both in?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You're not allowed any calculators that can do algebra, differentiation or integration - as long as neither of your calculators does this, then yeah, you can take both in, as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Well, i'm certain I read somewhere that the ti-83+ is exam board approved (I think...)

And the Casio fx-83ES is a very common choice, only 2 people in my class don't use it.

As a side note, the more I play with teh calculator the more I realise it can do (the ti-83+), however certainly it takes much longer to do the same things it takes 2 seconds to do on my simpler calculator.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can, I've known people to take in one calculator in degrees mode and one in radians mode :p:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the problem is not with the calculator but rather with how fast you do the papers?

Maybe you should time yourself doing practice papers and try to finish them totally under the alotted time.

ReputationRep:
    I think the restriction on calculus ability is that if your calculator can perform algebraic calculus, it is forbidden. If it can just evaluate definite integrals, or derivatives at a point, then it is allowed.

At least on my board, if your calc meets this condition, you could potentially bring in 100 of them if you so desired.

ReputationRep:
    I took in three calculators to all my exams (well apart from the French :p:), one graphical, one usual one that did fractions/surds as you described and another back-up in case they didn't work.
    What can I say, I'm paranoid.
    In the end I didn't find the graphical calculator that much use except in FP2 where it was necessary, I played around on it in C3/C4 but it didn't really help me to do any better IMO.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by coffeym)
    I think the restriction on calculus ability is that if your calculator can perform algebraic calculus, it is forbidden. If it can just evaluate definite integrals, or derivatives at a point, then it is allowed.

At least on my board, if your calc meets this condition, you could potentially bring in 100 of them if you so desired.
    "Calculators must be of a suitable size for desk use", no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    "Calculators must be of a suitable size for desk use", no?
    Haha, set the other 99 on the floor and swap every so often.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2007

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.