Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Definition of a Boy band watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I read a comment from someone (not here) recently that made me think about the term "boy band". What is the criteria to be classed as a boy band?

ReputationRep:
    The members of the band consisting of male individuals, and manufactured by a record company.

At least, that's my interpretation.

I suppose the implications of this is that they’re often marketed in terms of their sex appeal, rather than musical talent – which in many instances is questionable.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere someone described Slipknot as: "a boy band with masks" would you say this is accurate?

I've also heard Linkin Park desribed as: "a boy band with guitars."

I don't have a vested interest in this, it's just something that made me think if the term "boy band" is being over-used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I read somewhere someone described Slipknot as: "a boy band with masks" would you say this is accurate?

I don't have a vested interest in this, it's just something that made me think if the term "boy band" is being over-used.
    when people say "boyband" they usualyl mean sutff like westlife or boyzone (god i'm getting old :rolleyes: ) etc...

but when people say slipknot and linkpark is a boyband with masks or guitar ...just means those people dont like those bands and think they're talentless. just the image.

ReputationRep:
    The manufactured element is the decider, I'd say. Otherwise you could any all male band as a 'boy band'.

Since boy bands are presumably manufactured to make bags o'gold for record labels, perhaps the way in which they're marketed is also an indication.

I expect the comment about Slipknot and Linkin Park being boybands was perhaps they're considered sellouts having cashed in on their image? It sort of smells of the similar tactics used by boybands, in their case though, the image of being perfect male specimens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

You're probably bothered by the fact that bands like Linkin Park and Slipknot aren't considered as serious bands. And they aren't really. Though I'd give more credibility to Slipknot, Linkin Park is a band that just plays on an image, that's created to appeal to frustrated high school kids. Their success is more due to the image that they've created than the actual music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    You're probably bothered by the fact that bands like Linkin Park and Slipknot aren't considered as serious bands. And they aren't really. Though I'd give more credibility to Slipknot, Linkin Park is a band that just plays on an image, that's created to appeal to frustrated high school kids. Their success is more due to the image that they've created than the actual music.

Surely Slipknot have had as much, probably alot more success because of their image than Linkin Park have?

ReputationRep:
    Talentless pin ups for the girls to drool over and for the rest of us with a semblance of taste to hate

ReputationRep:
    Band made up of 16-25 year old cute guys who sing and don't play instruments. Oh and pop music only imo

ReputationRep:
    they're trying to pormote the name "vocal harmony group" arnt they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    Surely Slipknot have had as much, probably alot more success because of their image than Linkin Park have?
    No I think they're on par with each other. Both play a lot on their image. I guess the idea of the masks in Slipknot definitely contributes to the image.

Linkin Park are just so age-oriented that I have to say they're image-oriented. They go for that early high school age range and musically, there's just as pop as Blue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I guess the idea of the masks in Slipknot definitely contributes to the image.
    It's ironic that Slipknot say it's about the music and not the image - yet they're well renowned because they stand out from the crowd as they wear boiler suits and masks.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.