The Student Room Group

Simple rearranging

So an idiot forgot how to rearrange for x only, any help would be appreciated.

6.31x106=1.78x104×1104x4x6.31\mathrm x 10^{-6}=\dfrac{1.78\mathrm x 10^{-4} \times \frac{1}{10} -4x}{4x}

which is the original thing i had

So far i have gotten to

4x1104x=1.78x1046.31x106\dfrac {4x}{\frac{1}{10} -4x} = \dfrac{1.78\mathrm x 10^{-4}}{6.31\mathrm x 10^{-6}}

Help pls.

Sorry, i think i have it.... sorry for wasting my time and anyone else's who looks at this :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
OK, you have a fraction equals a fraction so you can cross multiply.

a/b=c/d >>>>>ad=bc

Which gets rid of the fractions and should enable you to progress.

This assumes that there are really brackets around the 1/10 -4x
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
OK, you have a fraction equals a fraction so you can cross multiply.

a/b=c/d >>>>>ad=bc

Which gets rid of the fractions and should enable you to progress.

This assumes that there are really brackets around the 1/10 -4x

There are brackets around the 1/10 term i don't get what u mean but i've done it.
Did your answer look like this?
Reply 4
"i don't get what u mean but i've done it"

Cross multiplying is like this. You have a situation where fractions are making life look difficult. In this case, there is a fraction on the left and one on the right. A common scenario like yours.

bit of algebra abit of algebra b =bit of algebra cbit of algebra d \frac{\text{bit of algebra a}}{\text{bit of algebra b }}=\frac{\text{bit of algebra c}}{\text{bit of algebra d }}

You can multiply through by algebra d and also algebra b which brings algebra b to the RHS and algebra d to the LHS

bit of algebra a×bit of algebra d =bit of algebra c×bit of algebra b {\text{bit of algebra a}} \times {\text{bit of algebra d }}={\text{bit of algebra c}} \times {\text{bit of algebra b }}

Hurray, all the fraction stuff is gone. I have always known this as cross multiplying.

Only works if you have a single fraction on the left = a single fraction on the right. This will not work if you had (say)

bit of algebra abit of algebra b +y=bit of algebra cbit of algebra d \frac{\text{bit of algebra a}}{\text{bit of algebra b }}+ y=\frac{\text{bit of algebra c}}{\text{bit of algebra d }}

Multiply through by (algebra b) X (algebra d)

or
bit of algebra abit of algebra b +bit of algebra gbit of algebra h =bit of algebra cbit of algebra d \frac{\text{bit of algebra a}}{\text{bit of algebra b }} + \frac{\text{bit of algebra g}}{\text{bit of algebra h }}=\frac{\text{bit of algebra c}}{\text{bit of algebra d }}

Multiply through by (algebra b) X (algebra d) X (algebra h)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nerak99

Cross multiplying is like this. You have a situation where fractions are making life look difficult. In this case, there is a fraction on the left and one on the right. A common scenario like yours.

bit of algebra abit of algebra b =bit of algebra cbit of algebra d \frac{\text{bit of algebra a}}{\text{bit of algebra b }}=\frac{\text{bit of algebra c}}{\text{bit of algebra d }}

You can multiply through by algebra d and also algebra b which brings algebra b to the RHS and algebra d to the LHS

bit of algebra a×bit of algebra d =bit of algebra c×bit of algebra b {\text{bit of algebra a}} \times {\text{bit of algebra d }}={\text{bit of algebra c}} \times {\text{bit of algebra b }}

Hurray, all the fraction stuff is gone. I have always known this as cross multiplying.

Only works if you have a single fraction on the left = a single fraction on the right. This will not work if you had (say)

bit of algebra abit of algebra b +y=bit of algebra cbit of algebra d \frac{\text{bit of algebra a}}{\text{bit of algebra b }}+ y=\frac{\text{bit of algebra c}}{\text{bit of algebra d }}

or
bit of algebra abit of algebra b +bit of algebra gbit of algebra h =bit of algebra cbit of algebra d \frac{\text{bit of algebra a}}{\text{bit of algebra b }} + \frac{\text{bit of algebra g}}{\text{bit of algebra h }}=\frac{\text{bit of algebra c}}{\text{bit of algebra d }}

I have checked the answer 0.02415 and it is correct.

One can cross multiply with fraction and whole number when one uses the fact that the whole number can be expressed as a fraction, e.g. 4 becomes 4/1 and 5 becomes 5/1 etc.

In the examples 1/10 - 4x becomes 1-40x / 10
Reply 6
Original post by CraigFowler
I have checked the answer 0.02415 and it is correct.

One can cross multiply with fraction and whole number when one uses the fact that the whole number can be expressed as a fraction, e.g. 4 becomes 4/1 and 5 becomes 5/1 etc.

In the examples 1/10 - 4x becomes 1-40x / 10

You are correct that the denominators like "bit of algebra b" could be as simple as just 1.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by nerak99

or

whoops derp i know what cross multiplying sorry for making u type all that out :/

Thanks anyway!
Reply 8
What does "Whoops Derp" mean?
Can someone please help to make x the subject:

(244.2 - X)/X = 0.418

What would be the value of X?
Original post by College rocks

(244.2 - X)/X = 0.418

I haven't got a calculator handy...so I'll leave the final solution to you.
Step 1: multiply both sides by x. Gives 244.2-x = 0.418x

Step 2 add x to both sides. Gives 244.2 =1.418x
Step 3 find x by dividing both sides by 1.418 👍
Original post by nerak99
What does "Whoops Derp" mean?

i dun goofed
Original post by College rocks

(244.2 - X)/X = 0.418

244.2xx=0.418[br]244.2x=0.418x[br]0.418x+x=244.2[br]x(0.418+1)=244.2\dfrac{244.2-x}{x}=0.418[br]244.2-x=0.418x[br]0.418x+x=244.2[br]x(0.418+1)=244.2

I'm sure you can do the rest

Original post by mathcoachni
I haven't got a calculator handy...so I'll leave the final solution to you.
Step 1: multiply both sides by x. Gives 244.2-x = 0.418x

Step 2 add x to both sides. Gives 244.2 =1.418x
Step 3 find x by dividing both sides by 1.418 👍

u dun goofed son im pretty sure u forgot to add x to the right side
Original post by CraigFowler
Did your answer look like this?

yup

Quick Reply

Latest