Being 5'7 seems to have ruined my life. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok so I'm aware that this is probably the millionth thread about guys height on TSR. Sorry not sorry.

I'm 21 and my height seems to have blighted my life for years. I know 5'7 isn't super short but short enough not to be respected by other men or attractive to the opposite sex. I have a decent social life and I'm not a virgin and not a complete failure with girls. However I've never got the sense that girls are ever really attracted to me like they are to taller men. I've never had a girlfriend because I feel nobody actually genuinely likes me or is attracted to me. I'm always the back up prize when they can't get what they really want. I'm held back by my height so much. But I always feel I suppose a recent event triggered all this sadness. A group of girls I was chatting with about height all admitted that 'guys under 6ft don't look and feel like real men' They weren't being mean just honest and I shrugged it off at the time. But that really hurt me so much. I don't lack confidence in myself as a person but I seem to have no value as a man. I don't feel like a real man. To society and girls/women I have little value as a man. Please don't tell me that girls don't care about height.

I am seriously considering leg lengthening surgery so if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this please let me know. I'm not expecting advice much apart from 'get shredded and dress better'. Please don't mess up my thread with unhelpful nonsense or mockery. I just needed to get this off my chest.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol m8 if someone doesnt wanna date u over something as petty as being 5'7 then u shouldn't wanna be them for their pettiness anyway
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok so I'm aware that this is probably the millionth thread about guys height on TSR. Sorry not sorry.

I'm 21 and my height seems to have blighted my life for years. I know 5'7 isn't super short but short enough not to be respected by other men or attractive to the opposite sex. I have a decent social life and I'm not a virgin and not a complete failure with girls. However I've never got the sense that girls are ever really attracted to me like they are to taller men. I've never had a girlfriend because I feel nobody actually genuinely likes me or is attracted to me. I'm always the back up prize when they can't get what they really want. I'm held back by my height so much. But I always feel I suppose a recent event triggered all this sadness. A group of girls I was chatting with about height all admitted that 'guys under 6ft don't look and feel like real men' They weren't being mean just honest and I shrugged it off at the time. But that really hurt me so much. I don't lack confidence in myself as a person but I seem to have no value as a man. I don't feel like a real man. To society and girls/women I have little value as a man. Please don't tell me that girls don't care about height.

I am seriously considering leg lengthening surgery so if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this please let me know. I'm not expecting advice much apart from 'get shredded and dress better'. Please don't mess up my thread with unhelpful nonsense or mockery. I just needed to get this off my chest.
Those girls weren't being honest at all they were being incredibly shallow and should be very ashamed of themselves . I know you didn't want to hear that girls don't care about height but from a woman whose engaged to a guy whose the same height as you and absolutely love that I don't have to be on my toes to kiss him amongst other height related practical things, honestly we don't all want "tall" men.
I think the issue is that you ve been surrounded by the wrong kind of women. Surgery like that isn't something you d ever get on the NHS and since you ve stopped growing would be incredibly painful and isn't something you should even be letting society think you should do.
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Become a model wtf
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Leg length surgery's a bit extreme!

The male population has an average height of 5'9"-5-10" in this country, so you're very much near average. Most men are not over 6" - it's the exception rather than the rule. Of course women like tall men - that's like saying most men like women with curves and big boobs. But in reality, most men are not 6'4", and most women don't look like Rose Huntington-Whiteley - so you're not some freak who no-one's going to fancy.

Don't compare yourself to the extremes.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You cannot be serious. Try being 5"3' and not being noticed anywhere or being mistaken for a lost 12 year old. You shouldn't need to worry about your height tbh.

I've never had a girlfriend because I feel nobody actually genuinely likes me or is attracted to me. I'm always the back up prize when they can't get what they really want.
Your issue is this. You really just need some confidence and not worry about girls who want their 6 foot "man". How are you approaching girls? Do you flirt?
BigMan Ting
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Try being 5"3' and not being noticed anywhere or being mistaken for a lost 12 year old.
That made be chuckle... I'm sorry bro - but I can tell that you have a good personality, with humour you can win any girl.

I'm 5'7 and tbh I can still charm women and I'm surprised. Having a nice smile, confidence and the ability to make someone comfortable will remove any kind of insecurities that you may have when they see you.

OP, I have bumps on my skin, scars that look scary but they'll still want to talk to me. That shows a level of attraction, if Jason Statham (5'9) can be an alpha male and still get seriously hot models, then any one can. Just keep fit, look good and show confidence by not giving a damn.
ThatOldGuy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's good that you posted this anonymously. If someone in real life saw you, they might say "WHOAH! WHOAH! WHOAH! Had you not posted that thread about your height on TSR, I'd have thought you were a 6'6" mega-masculine dude. Now that I know you posted that thread, I know you're 5'7" and have no attraction to you at all."
Trevish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm same height but I don't rant

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
You are dwelling on height when the reality of you not getting girls is many times more likely to be to do with looks, intelligence, personality, confidence, being good company etc. If you have all those then being 5'7" wont matter. I note in your post you say you dont like confidence, but whilst reading it I just got the feeling of someone with low self esteem and low confidence.

The very fact that you are considering leg lengthening surgery (which is major and very painful) is an illustration of you blaming the wrong things and having a poor sense of perspective. You have plenty of scope to work on other aspects that are far less drastic and will increase your chances of becoming attractive to a girl.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As someone who is 5'7 yet has never had any problem in obtaining sexually partners or relationships, I can say:
1. Being obsessed with your perceived lack of height is more off putting than your actual height.
2. Learn to play to your strengths, not focus on your weaknesses.
3. You aren't even that ****ing short anyway.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm 21 and my height seems to have blighted my life for years. I know 5'7 isn't super short but short enough not to be respected by other men or attractive to the opposite sex. I have a decent social life and I'm not a virgin and not a complete failure with girls. However I've never got the sense that girls are ever really attracted to me like they are to taller men. I've never had a girlfriend because I feel nobody actually genuinely likes me or is attracted to me. I'm always the back up prize when they can't get what they really want.
So in other words it is highly likely that this is a self-perpetuated delusion? Good job dude. What's screwing you over is your own paranoia and insecurity. 5'7 isn't even that short.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
You cannot be serious. Try being 5"3' and not being noticed anywhere or being mistaken for a lost 12 year old. You shouldn't need to worry about your height tbh.

Your issue is this. You really just need some confidence and not worry about girls who want their 6 foot "man". How are you approaching girls? Do you flirt?

M8 I feel for you. Friend of a friend is about 5'2 and he has been bullied his whole life over it.

I don't have serious issues with confidence. Just my masculine identity I guess.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
As someone who is 5'7 yet has never had any problem in obtaining sexually partners or relationships, I can say:
1. Being obsessed with your perceived lack of height is more off putting than your actual height.
2. Learn to play to your strengths, not focus on your weaknesses.
3. You aren't even that ****ing short anyway.
^

I didn't even know it was a thing until someone said it was on here.
catface34
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I see so many threads on the internet about guys who are insecure about their height and as a woman, I'd like to offer what I've observed from my friends. I have many female friends who are tall (for a girl, they're around 5'8 and up). I noticed that they were always more attracted to shorter guys. I've also noticed that tall guys tend to prefer shorter women. Being too tall comes with it's own health problems, therefore, perhaps it's a case that its genetically beneficial for one tall partner to seek a short partner (evening out maybe?) I dunno, all I can say is that, to me, it always seemed like my tall girlfriends would drop kick a tall guy to get to shorter one! And they were beautiful btw.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
^

Same here - certainly not to this extent, anyway.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I think Claire put it best, those women who said men aren't real men under 6ft are shallow. There are plenty of women though who don't care about the height. I found this out being only 5'7 myself, you cannot let it get to you because that's when it will eat you up.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Plenty of other men your height have successful relationships. It's probably your attitude to being short that puts people off, own it! I'm a 5"8' girl and my boyfriends 5"6'. It doesn't bother me at all.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Same here - certainly not to this extent, anyway.
It's like something straight off the Misc (srs). OP and his brahs wondering if they are aesthetic af.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
^

Yep, it seems to be a particular hang up with people on TSR. The only real downsides to being 5'7 is you always get stuck behind taller people at gigs and you'll probably never make it as a basketball player. When it comes to dating, it's no big deal.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads