Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (if this thread already exists shoot me)

Ok so which would you recommend for uni?

I personally am a big fan of the desktop. way cheaper for what you get, easily upgradeable, can take all the insides out and fix and tinker.

Where as with most laptops, they are quite expensive, become outdated very quickly and almost imposable to upgrade.

But i hear most people take laptops to uni, so what would you say are the pros and cons of both?

ReputationRep:
    I guess the main problem with a desktop is that it is hard to move around, if you live far away it could be a huge problem lugging around a PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

If you have a laptop, not only is it way easier to take home, but you can also work anywhere.

To be honest, if you're not going to be doing anything too intensive (play games/video editing) then you don't need the power that a desktop provides, all laptops will be fine for what university students will be doing; i.e. Solitaire, Word and Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, gotta agree with the above post. Plus, they take up much less space on your desk, which is a huge advantage for me as i think i can just about fit my laptop in the room i'm staying in.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Both.

Desktop stays in the room all year round. Laptop comes wherever I want and home on holidays.

ReputationRep:
    I did have a latop, but I'm going to get a desktop when I go back for my third year. I find it much easy to sit at a large desktop computer to write essays rather than a teeny tiny laptop.

ReputationRep:
    I have a laptop for the convience of moving and to take to lectures etc. But a desktop is probably better value for money. Although a desktop would take up more room, and be hard to move to and from your uni room to home etc..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've got a laptop so thats what I'll be using. If I want a desktop, there's always uni computers...

ReputationRep:
    i was just about to post a simular one like this lol, i have no idea, pcs are better but laptops are easier to move around. i dont know

I think i'll go for laptop, which leads me to my next question of which one? i dont know anything about them!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If you want to ask about what kind of laptop to get, post in the tech forum

ReputationRep:
    Arg its too hard :P

Another plus of having a destop is that I already have a pretty good one, whereas laptop means lots and lots O money. haha they are both useful, I want to bring both :P

ReputationRep:
    i compromised... i have just bought a slim line case desktop with everything I need so it takes up less room. It was cheaper than expected so if need be when i go to uni and realise I need laptop I can either request my old one from home or even buy a cheap one since i wouldnt need a good spec.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my current pc with me, got **** loads of media on it and prefer to have a proper pc than an underpowered laptop, which also means I don't want to have to fork out 2 grand on the equivalent powered laptop compared to my current setup.

I also can't see myself taking a laptop into lectures, surely the people around you get pissed by the constant typing?

ReputationRep:
    laptop

u can get refurb MacBooks for around 400 quid, dont bother with them Dell or PC World deals they suck. get a MacBook, much higher quality and alot more reliable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grizzly)
    laptop

u can get refurb MacBooks for around 400 quid, dont bother with them Dell or PC World deals they suck. get a MacBook, much higher quality and alot more reliable.
    I am the anti Mac, not gonna happen.

I think I will just take my desktop, I dont need to bring it home in holidays anyways, as i have many PC's at home. And I am quite attached to having a good custom, computer.

Maybe if i really need something portable I'll get a cheap laptop just for notes and watching dvds, bit of music, i duno. desktop it is i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousickle)
    Maybe if i really need something portable I'll get a cheap laptop just for notes and watching dvds, bit of music, i duno. desktop it is i think.

primary reason I'm taking my pc, decent soundcard, over a terabyte of music and movies. Can't get that in a laptop unless you are made of money

ReputationRep:
    Or you use external hard drives or a Windows Home Server :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grizzly)
    laptop

refurbed macbooks aren't as cheap as that. they are more like £550-600. you can get one on a student discount for about £600, plus you get a free 3 year waranty, so i'd go with that over a refurbed macbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fusen)
    primary reason I'm taking my pc, decent soundcard, over a terabyte of music and movies. Can't get that in a laptop unless you are made of money

Ah I didn't mean a laptop to keep it all on, I meant for actualy playing DVD's, say if I want to take it to someone else room, can transfer the movie you want or somesuch.

But you are right a laptop (the kind i'll ever be able to afford) couldn't hold half of what my beloved desktop can. And giving up all of my stuff would make me very very sad.

Desktop for sure, I have convinced myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljames28)
    Or you use external hard drives or a Windows Home Server :P
    yeah, great buying a first revision WHS :P you get to experience all the bugs, plus I don't want to have to buy extra hardware :P except a new tuner card for TV but that's about it.

I'm also gonna have to get used to a single screen as I've decided not to take both my monitors which I currently use to save space
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can't actually take my laptop anywhere and use it unless its plugged in cos the battery is useless...so its like having a desktop but not quite :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.