Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm! So after feeling like a truck has run over me countless times last week, I finally recover...

Only to get a sore throat AGAIN this week

Anyone know if you can catch the flu/a cold straight after experiencing one?

Just so you know a bit of background info, there are two nasty strains of influenza doing the rounds of Canberra atm

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know this thread isn't terribly enthralling, but I'm kinda in hell here

And yeah, taking pain killers.

ReputationRep:
    I;d say it is possible..

ReputationRep:
    Haven't had the flu for years now, can still sympathise though!

i had flu a few weeks ago.
    seem to be developing some form of cold now too. its rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Its possible, after you got better did you try something that you would normally do?

Also with some strains of flu you can have ups and downs and be ill one moment then great for the next week and then ill again.

I would know, I caught an illness from spain in easter, it gradually got worse to me eating through a straw in the middle of revision for a2 got a little better on some of my resits went downhill for the rest of my exams. Felt better after my exams and decided that I could go on a school trip to italy to find myself going downhill half way through.......now Im better though, that ...hell... is over.

Anyway..Hope you get better soon.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it's possible. If you're body is recovering from this last flu, then surely you're immune system isn't back to full strength yet and you're a bit run down, so this new strain of flu can easily attack you. There's so many different flu viruses. It sucks. I seem to get flu about 3 times a year. Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    The fact of the matter is that with flu, or any other viral or bacterial infection, leads to a large immunological response, this consumes a lot of the bodies energy and resources, weakening your immune system. It can take weeks, or even months, to recover fully from some infections and in this time you are more susceptable to other opportunistic infections, like the common cold, sore throat, etc.

The best thing you can do is eat healthy, plenty of fruit, veg, protein and healthy fats, plus, get plenty of sleep by going to bed early and not over exerting yourself at any form of exercise, to enable your body to repair and recover. Generally, if i'm starting to get a tickly throat and/or are feeling run down, i just take a parcetamol and take an early night, i stop working out for a few days up until a week, and that along cuts days off my recovery time, sometimes its enough to get me over whatever i was coming down with in the first place.

I seem to get flu about 3 times a year.
    Most people don't quite understand the extent of a real dose of flu. TBH most people who think they have or have had flu, have simply had a much more minor infection and response to something as menial as a cold.

I used to be one of those people who, if they were feeling weak and tired, getting hot and cold flushes, aching, etc, for a few days at a time throught i had the flu until i experienced the real deal. I was completely incapacitated for a full 2 weeks, i continued to have hot and cold flushes for a full ten days, severe headaches for about the same period of time, muscle and joint aching like i'd done my D of E gold practice and qualifying expeds back to back, feverish dreams and lack of sleep for at least a week, etc. I tried to go back into school after 8 days because i was in the final year of my IB, i had uni interviews, etc, but my biology teacher sent me home after 30mins. I was generally weak for weeks afterwards and lost around a stone of weight. Before all of that i was perfectly fit and healthy. That is the flu. If you're not completely ill and simply have to take time off work for at least 7-10 days because you're not fit enough to even stand up, or walk, for a few minutes at a time, chances are you haven't got the flu but some more minor opportunistic infection.

I do have problems with things like colds at uni though. Being on an intense course with an intense social life, we all get run down at one time or another, and then the diseases start circulating. Plus there's other factors like the student saliva tree, but we won't go into that. I think in my first term at uni i had at least 3 lots of colds and sore throats and a dose of cryptosporidium (course not hygiene related).

ReputationRep:
    I had the flu about two months ago - I nearly passed out at work (I managed three hours and then had two weeks off!). I get colds quite a lot being a veggie who hates vitamin supplements, but this was totally different. I had a proper verging on dangerous fever, with cold sweats and vomiting. I didn't eat for three days, and couldn't walk to the downstairs bathroom from the lounge without having a rest on the way because I'd go light headed. I would say it took me about a month and a half to get over it completely - the cough and sore throat lasted for ages.

(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    The fact of the matter is that with flu, or any other viral or bacterial infection, leads to a large immunological response, this consumes a lot of the bodies energy and resources, weakening your immune system. It can take weeks, or even months, to recover fully from some infections and in this time you are more susceptable to other opportunistic infections, like the common cold, sore throat, etc.

The best thing you can do is eat healthy, plenty of fruit, veg, protein and healthy fats, plus, get plenty of sleep by going to bed early and not over exerting yourself at any form of exercise, to enable your body to repair and recover. Generally, if i'm starting to get a tickly throat and/or are feeling run down, i just take a parcetamol and take an early night, i stop working out for a few days up until a week, and that along cuts days off my recovery time, sometimes its enough to get me over whatever i was coming down with in the first place.

Most people don't quite understand the extent of a real dose of flu. TBH most people who think they have or have had flu, have simply had a much more minor infection and response to something as menial as a cold.

I used to be one of those people who, if they were feeling weak and tired, getting hot and cold flushes, aching, etc, for a few days at a time throught i had the flu until i experienced the real deal. I was completely incapacitated for a full 2 weeks, i continued to have hot and cold flushes for a full ten days, severe headaches for about the same period of time, muscle and joint aching like i'd done my D of E gold practice and qualifying expeds back to back, feverish dreams and lack of sleep for at least a week, etc. I tried to go back into school after 8 days because i was in the final year of my IB, i had uni interviews, etc, but my biology teacher sent me home after 30mins. I was generally weak for weeks afterwards and lost around a stone of weight. Before all of that i was perfectly fit and healthy. That is the flu. If you're not completely ill and simply have to take time off work for at least 7-10 days because you're not fit enough to even stand up, or walk, for a few minutes at a time, chances are you haven't got the flu but some more minor opportunistic infection.

I do have problems with things like colds at uni though. Being on an intense course with an intense social life, we all get run down at one time or another, and then the diseases start circulating. Plus there's other factors like the student saliva tree, but we won't go into that. I think in my first term at uni i had at least 3 lots of colds and sore throats and a dose of cryptosporidium (course not hygiene related).
    haha. I was the same. Its not till you spend a week throwing up, losing 2 stone in the process (awesome) feeling like your head is going to explode, your eyes are on fire, and someone has lubricated your joints with sand that you realise flu and cold are not related...

ReputationRep:
    I have the flu I think. Either that or a bad cold!

It's horrible. I have work this weekend too, ugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_)
    I have the flu I think. Either that or a bad cold!

It's horrible. I have work this weekend too, ugh
    Yeah. You don't have the flu then.

Trust me, as is said above, you'd know all about it if you had the flu.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i've ever had the flu... used it as an excuse looooads of times though!

they say that you know you have the flu when a fifty pound note blows past your window and you wouldn't get out of bed to go get it. apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i don't think i've ever had the flu... used it as an excuse looooads of times though!

they say that you know you have the flu when a fifty pound note blows past your window and you wouldn't get out of bed to go get it. apparently.
    I got the flu on New Year's Eve 2006. I was feeling really light-headed that morning and it just got worse as the day went on. It got to the point that by about 10pm I couldn't move my head at all because I got ridiculously dizzy.

So I ended up lying on the couch at midnight, watching the countdown on the telly while my family were all celebrating in the other room. Just as it got to "0" and the fireworks went off, I felt really sick and stumbled to the toliet, threw up for ages and collapsed in a heap. However, I'd locked the door on the way in (natural instinct) and now I couldn't move.

My mum was at the door saying "Chris, I know you're not well son but people will have to use the toilet eventually so you can't stay there". So eventually I managed to pull myself up to the door and unlock it, then crawl back to my couch.

The next morning I felt even worse. I couldn't actually open my eyes for more than five seconds because the room would literally keep turning and I'd feel sick. My mum brought down my mattress from the bedroom because if I'd somehow managed to get upstairs to bed and needed to toilet again I wouldn't be able to get back down.

I didn't leave that mattress for four days. The only time I could move was to use the toilet, and since I couldn't lift my head because it'd have made me extremely dizzy, I had to go there while crawling backwards and dragging my head across the ground.

I can laugh now, but that was a nightmare. THAT's the flu.

ReputationRep:
    yeh it is, you probably have a seperate viral infection a lovely one to knock you out for a bit

Feel better soon x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.