Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a locked Nokia 3200 for £57.50 from ebay. Is that worth it, or have I been ripped off? Anyone else got this phone or knows what it is like? Is it good or bad? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to get phones unlocked (preferably for as cheap as possible!), either online, or an actual shop.

Thanking you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Well, does anybody here at least know how you go about unlocking a mobile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Well, does anybody here at least know how you go about unlocking a mobile?
    try google, type in unlock mobile or something.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are hundreds of websites, claiming to be the best website for unlocking mobiles for just £3 or even free (I found something today which is free which supposedly unlocks mobiles) but do they actually work? Has anyone had any luck using an online unlocking device, or using one where you phone up? Or is it just safer to go into a shop and get the phone unlocked there?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think that any amount you pay for a Nokia is too much

ReputationRep:
    3200,if it is new then you got a really good cheap price,I bought one for mom @ mothers day it cost me almost $175 or even more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    3200,if it is new then you got a really good cheap price,I bought one for mom @ mothers day it cost me almost $175 or even more
    And do you and your mother think it is a good phone to have? It looks pretty cool, but looks can be very very deceiving...

ReputationRep:
    The 3200 is a DCT-4, and therefore you can do it yourself if you've got the right software by inputting the IMEI into the software. You can unlock DCT-4 phones with a code calculator, don't quite know where you'd go about finding one tho. It isn't a bad phone at all, basically the 7250i in different casing i think if i remember rightly.

This is all what i believe anyway (mite b wrong!)

ReputationRep:
    i unlocked mine using a data cable, cost like £3 and i used it for ringtones and logos. Then downloaded some software and used it to unlock my phone.

Can't remember what the program was called because it was a couple of years ago. But i am sure it would not be hard to find.

ReputationRep:
    And do you and your mother think it is a good phone to have? It looks pretty cool, but looks can be very very deceiving...
    she adored it,I think it's a pretty good phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_)
    i unlocked mine using a data cable, cost like £3 and i used it for ringtones and logos. Then downloaded some software and used it to unlock my phone.

Can't remember what the program was called because it was a couple of years ago. But i am sure it would not be hard to find.
    How can you put ringtones on your phone through a data cable? Do you have to get special music files to transfer or is it just regular midi files? Do you recommend getting a data cable, and if so, where from?

ReputationRep:
    best way to do it is to download the pc suite software and do it through that. the format depends on the phone - nokias are midi, many others such as samsung are mmf, for which you need a converter which could be downloaded for free from www.download.com i believe if you do a search.

If you don't have a data cable you can do it through WAP, such as www.cbfmobile.com and do either a data transfer or download the ringtone (free) from there.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    When you recieve a ringtone from that website, does your mobile get charged, or is it actually entirely free?

edit: ok, just tried it and it actually only cost 12p! What a bargain! Thanks for the website!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.logosunlimited.co.uk/nokia_cables.htm

Nokia 3210 Data Cable Adaptor

These cables are to be used with our data cable converter leads shown below, for use with programs for unlocking, uploading tones and graphics and sending sms etc.

Order Code - 3210ADP - £5.99
    Thats the cable i had.

ReputationRep:
    When you recieve a ringtone from that website, does your mobile get charged, or is it actually entirely free?

edit: ok, just tried it and it actually only cost 12p! What a bargain! Thanks for the website!
    Yeah forgot to mention that - it's the price of a text message for monophonic tones, and just the WAP cost (to pick up the ringtone) for polyphonics. There's also logos and stuff as well.

Just thought - i believe the phone has InfraRed (check, 'cos that's off the top off my head), so you could just buy one of those adapters if you wanted to transfer stuff, but there is a transfer thingy on the website, or you could just download the tones. To unlock it however i'm pretty sure you only need a code calculator.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.