so is she mixed race or black? Ancestrydna reports 90% African? Watch

justinborg11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Well I have a friend that took a dna test and her results were 46% Nigeria and 14% cote divoire and 10% mali and the rest coastal African countries like Senegal and Cameroon bennin etc..... But the thing is she took a test on an African dna website sort of thing and she got majorly tribes native to the sahel. Specifically Fulani sonninke and tuareg as her major tribal heritage. She also got on gedmatch about a quarter north African(like berber). And the rest European. She to me looks like similar to my cousin who's fully north African but not fully berber (partly north Sudanese heritage). Anyhow I'm confused also as to why she has north African heritage but it doesn't show up? How can that actually be? Why would they leave it out? I know for me they didn't? Is it because of a larger quantity or what?
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
She may have just inherited more dna from her african side.
Rose Meagan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it depends on herself t
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you have questions about the analysis, address them to the DNA service provider. I had my DNA tested recently, and found the whole process (and results) fascinating.
justinborg11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by jambojim97)
She may have just inherited more dna from her african side.
well most of her heritage is African. There are different races of Africans though. She's 9-14% European depending the rest is basically African. But her north African heritage varies. Tuaregs are North African heritage and that's 10% for her. And then fulanis are varied people on average I believe they are 25-33% north African admix. Her aunt of whom she lived with and is a friend of the family is Tuareg and Fulani heritage with some French heritage as well she's Malian and she looks a lot like her aunt's side of the family. Which is her paternal side of the family. She's about 58% Fulani 10% Tuareg and 21% west African coastal heritage and 9-14% European. So that would mean she is in a range of 22.5-29.3% north African heritage plus 9-14% European and 56.6-68.5% pure west African heritage. If she's 56% west African heritage and 29% north African heritage I'd say she's mixed but if she's closer to 65-70% I'd think she's just black. What's odd about it is I thought she'd have a lot more north African heritage than 29%. I thought more like 50% or close to that. Her mother is partially Fulani and some west African heritage. So Idk....

North Africans aren't the same race as sub-Saharan Africans. North Africans are considered Caucasian. She doesn't look Caucasian but she looks mixed obviously. And not predominantly west African. Which is why that's a surprise to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads