Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I'm new to this forum although I've been lurking for a while trying to find answers to all my questions!

I'm off to the RVC this year and I'm trying to sort out what sizes of everything to buy on the equipment list! I know it gives a rough estimate on there but I'd rather hear it from someone with first-hand experience!

So I am a size 12, occasionally size 10 if I haven't eaten well for a while! Can someone please confirm what sizes I should get in everything - lab coats, waterproof and boilersuits? Thanks
    I'm also quite concerned about the safety wellies, I'm a very small size 5, more of a 4 1/2 I suppose but obviously I doubt they come in that size! So can someone tell me how generous the sizes are and if I would get away with a size four or would be better with a size 5 and some thick socks!

Thanks very much!! and see you all at the RVC!

ReputationRep:
    when did u get the equipment list? i still havent got anything through at all from rvc, just ucas

for the wellies i would say get the size 5, and have thick socks, also for the outdoor wear id go for stuff that you think might be a little bigger, cos ull have clothes on underneath and you dont want them to be too tight and restricting. - u want them to allow for an extra jumper incase your out on a cold morning.

ReputationRep:
    Well the boiler suits will almost certainly all be in mens sizes. The girls at Bristol had a few problems, at least when its cold at lambing you can squeeze another person/sheep in for bodywarmth? But, if you're a bloke (its possible with a name like Naomi, a few operations, hrt, you get my drift) then you should be fine just ordering a boiler suit in your clothes size. I don't know what a 10/12 is in mens sizing, you could just order and XL it will certainly be big enough.

Lab coats come up fine, well they fit me fine, obviously i can't comment for the girls, the same goes for waterproof overalls, most of them look ok in them what more do they need?. The most complaints were about the boiler suits with girls having turnups everywhere and having to put knots in the back to take out the slack and wear 4 jumpers to fill it out and look like a Michelin man in the process.

A bit of googling and i found this site: http://www.aspli.com/product_list.asp?cat1=40, they sell safety wellies down to a size three (5th wellie down), they're the going rate, if not cheaper. Again, they'll be in mens sizing, so they'll be wider at the very least.

Sorry i can't be of any extra help, if you want any more help just ask and i'll start harassing some of my female vet friends.

ReputationRep:
    The safety wellies come up massive! I'm a 6-7, so originally bought 7s, and they were just stupidly large. I now have 6s, and they're still pretty big, but hopefully will be ok with thick socks.

Actually, if anyone on here going to the RVC needs safety wellies, and is a shoe size 8-9, I have a brand new pair going to much less than the RVC are charging. Could hand them over at the HH freshers fayre. PM me!

I think my boilersuits are 92cm, and fit pretty well (i'm an 8-10 and 5"6) - hope that helps as a guide!

ReputationRep:
    I found the equipment list on the RVC website:
    http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Education/Under...n/Freshers.cfm

Click on the link to SU shop information and order form and it tells you what you need and all the available sizes. The lab coats and stuff are mostly in sizes XS - XL with XS fitting size 8-10 and S fitting 12-14. In other words the inbetween that I would probably need doesn't exist...

Does anyone know how easy it would be to exchange if I did end up with the wrong size in something anyways?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about labcoats being an amazing fit. You're going to have varying degrees of clothes under them at different times anyway, and the only important things really are that the sleeves are long enough and you can do them up! I'd say, either go for the slightly large size on guesswork, or find somewhere where you could try some on if you'd prefer.

If you're in the RVC Camden area at any point, there's a shop just down the road (walk from RVC, down Royal College St toward Camden, then straight over at the crossroads, and its somewhere down there on the left), which sells boilersuits, labcoats, boots etc. Not as cheap as the internet, but cheaper than uni (hence why they never mention it - even though the owner has apparently tried to set up deals with them).

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if we have to have certain colours of the equiptment; wellies and overalls - cos all pics ive seen of rvc students theyre in green. so do we have to have green?

ReputationRep:
    No but veterinary medicine strikes me as a green colour no?

ReputationRep:
    my wellies are blue and pink haha

ReputationRep:
    would it look unproffesional if you wore coloured/ patterened wellies, or would no one care?

ReputationRep:
    On the same lines as your.angel, i have a pair of size 4 safety wellies, that are massive on me so should fit you if you are a small 5. and i will seell them cheap as i dont need them

ReputationRep:
    ^ Do you usually wear a size five in 'normal' shoes then?
    I would be interested in buying them from you...just a bit wary though incase they weren't the right size then I can't really return them! Are they the ones you can buy from the SU shop?

Sorry to keep asking so many questions by the way...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi_101)
    ^ Do you usually wear a size five in 'normal' shoes then?
    I would be interested in buying them from you...just a bit wary though incase they weren't the right size then I can't really return them! Are they the ones you can buy from the SU shop?

Sorry to keep asking so many questions by the way...!
    I'm actually a 3.5 but i wear a 4 in standard wellies (to allow for thick socks for lambing etc), so i ordered a size 4 from uni and they are really huge. Even with three pairs of thick socks they still fall off so i would think they should fit you. They were bought from the SU shop, and they are the super safety (more expensive) ones.
    PM me if you want to have them as i don't want to clog up this thread to much

Don't worry about asking questions, if i can help i will.

ReputationRep:
    For the colour question - Ive just for my Liverpool list and everything has to be green (apart from the white lab coat obviously!). I dont know if this helps but it probs will be at RVC aswell.

ReputationRep:
    People might find www.eandeworkwear.co.uk and www.bestincountry.co.uk helpfull. I found all of my green stuff on these two websites - the wellies are a little over the reccommended price but most of the other things are below xxx

ReputationRep:
    At RVC at least colour isn't important, the overalls that uni supply come in two colours (green longsleeved, and blue shortsleeved) and wellies also come in green and black so i wouldnt worry if you're waterproofs etc are the 'wrong' colour, ultimately they will get covered in poo so as long as you are dry on the inside it doesnt matter

ReputationRep:
    The RVC's clothes are MASSIVE I am a size 8 and the smallest is a size 12 so I drown. I would say get small size even if your 12, if you are a 14 then medium ect and the wellies need downsizing by 2-3sizes! Seriously oversized for women! xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.