How long until league teams start recruiting Fantasy Premier League elite managers

Watch
Mister Dead
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here's an interesting article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37954971

For years now the success of Southampton FC has confounded such animated turnips as Glen Hoddle, Jamie Redknapp, Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton. How do they do it?!!! they dribble on their lilac ties, apparently unaware of the unique position they hold to investigate this question.

Well it turns out the magic behind Southampton FC amounts to data generation and analysis, and forward planning. That's right, what Southampton FC do is they generate loads of data on players and managers all over the world, they assess the probability that a first team player will move-on, and line up replacements based on suitability analysis before they need to move for them. And they use their academy to produce players that usefully fit into this system of long-term planning.

Is there any other business in the world in which the majority of football teams could actually survive? Football, a business where billions, billions are poured into the premier league, and yet a team operating with just basic 21st century competency is heralded as a brilliantly run club? Just how badly are some of these league clubs being run? Is it possible that Big Knockers Babs who does the stock inventory at Poundland and her son who does A-Level statistics could drastically improve the fortune of a lower league team?

People are always making cracks about being great on Football Manager and all that and how they'd make great managers, but really, i'm starting to wonder if the majority of the FPL elite are actually better equipped, with some coaching support, to achieve success in league football.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (310)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads