Unnecessary car impoundment

Watch
UNISTU1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
today my car was impounded. I live on a very busy street which is hard to get parked most of the time. Last night i came back late around 1 am and could not get a parking space and so parked outside my flats front door. On the street the parking hours are 8:30-5:30 however as there was no spaces i was parked on a double yellow from 1am- 8am. I understand i should not be parked in double yellows however there was no permit spaces available and i could not park anywhere else so i decided to set my alarm for 8am and go move my car before the wardens started at 8:30am. When i went outside at 8:10am my car was gone. I found that it had been impounded. I went to collect it and was charged £180. £150 for tow-away fee and £30 for the ticket. When i collected the car i look at the ticket and it was issued 7:30-7:35 am which had given the 5 minutes grace and fair enough i will pay the ticket as i am not supposed to be parked there. however it was highly unnecessary for my car to be impounded within 25 mins of getting a ticket due to code 01 (Parking in a restricted street during prohibited hours). The most annoying part was that 3 other cars where parked a few metres from mine on double yellow from before i parked my car there and they never got a ticket nor towed away. My car was parked 6/7 metres away from bins, entrances, bus stops etc and was not obstructing anything at all so i want to know why they towed it away.

does anyone else feel this is unnecessary?

I want to appeal the towing away as it cost me £150 and i am a student and cannot afford it, i know i'm in the wrong for parking on a double yellow however i got up early to move it and had nowhere else to park. i feel it was very unfair to tow the car away. I live in edinburgh and this is where it occurred.

If anyone feels i have a good grounds for appeal please let me know and any tips or hints would be great. as i said i am happy to let the ticket go however i want the tow away fee refunded.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry but there are no grounds for any appeal. You were parked on double yellows for 7 hours. What if you'd prevented an emergency vehicle from doing what it needed to do (just because you didn't think you were causing an obstruction doesn't mean that you weren't objectively causing one)? Or how about if everyone decided to park on double yellows 'just because'. There'd be anarchy.

Parking rules aren't popular with anyone, but they are there so we can all use the roads effectively and if you flout them you have to man up to the consequences. That involves both the fine and the tow away fee in this case. I don't see any concrete reasons why you think the regulations shouldn't apply to you in this case.
UNISTU1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'm sorry but there are no grounds for any appeal. You were parked on double yellows for 7 hours. What if you'd prevented an emergency vehicle from doing what it needed to do (just because you didn't think you were causing an obstruction doesn't mean that you weren't objectively causing one)? Or how about if everyone decided to park on double yellows 'just because'. There'd be anarchy.

Parking rules aren't popular with anyone, but they are there so we can all use the roads effectively and if you flout them you have to man up to the consequences. That involves both the fine and the tow away fee in this case. I don't see any concrete reasons why you think the regulations shouldn't apply to you in this case.
I realise this mistake and fair enough about obstructing an emergency vehicle. I have paid both the fines already and i'm not complaining about that, I am merely asking if there are grounds for appeal. No need to be so nasty I don't do this all the time was just a mistake which i have learnt from.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by UNISTU1)
I realise this mistake and fair enough about obstructing an emergency vehicle. I have paid both the fines already and i'm not complaining about that, I am merely asking if there are grounds for appeal. No need to be so nasty I don't do this all the time was just a mistake which i have learnt from.
No grounds for appeal.

Live and learn...
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry that you felt it was nasty. It was meant to be a frank and thorough answer.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As above, you don't have a leg to stand on really. Even if you did, 99% chance your appeal would simply be denied by the council, parking restrictions are far too lucrative for them to ever want to admit they're in the wrong.
UNISTU1
Rep:
?
I am disabled and do have a disabled badge however forgot to display it. dont think that will help anything though, guess i will just have to let it go
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am disabled and do have a disabled badge however forgot to display it. dont think that will help anything though, guess i will just have to let it go
Disabled badge only lets you park on double yellows for 3 hours so you would still have been fined.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads