Deciding who gets which room for housing Watch

beautyviews
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When there is one small room, do you think it is best to pick out of a hat or to discuss who gets which room?

Do you think it is fair to rank who did the most in getting the house (viewings, calling up etc) to order the rooms

I want to do this fair but out of 6, three of my housemates are saying they don't want the small room and won't pick out of a hat.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if you are a group that fills the house and it;s an established group at that point names in the hat is fairest unless there's particular reason for someoen to have a particular room ( e.g. access issues, paying the phone bill and the master socket is in that room ( double edged sword that as it might be the 'parlour)...

also i presume if the small room is substantially smaller there will be a reduction in rent ...
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beautyviews)
When there is one small room, do you think it is best to pick out of a hat or to discuss who gets which room?

Do you think it is fair to rank who did the most in getting the house (viewings, calling up etc) to order the rooms

I want to do this fair but out of 6, three of my housemates are saying they don't want the small room and won't pick out of a hat.
I think picking out of the hat is the best option it's the only way to be entirely fair since it would be incredibly subjective to rank people. If they aren't willing to do that are they willing to pay more to have a larger room instead?
Are we talking it's the box room of the house or is it not too much different?
beautyviews
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I think picking out of the hat is the best option it's the only way to be entirely fair since it would be incredibly subjective to rank people. If they aren't willing to do that are they willing to pay more to have a larger room instead?
Are we talking it's the box room of the house or is it not too much different?
It is like a box room, and money is not really an object for anyone - we are all willing to pay more to have a bigger room
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is like a box room, and money is not really an object for anyone - we are all willing to pay more to have a bigger room
Ah I see where your dilemma is then, it's a difficult one. It's really not a good way to deal with it at all but if drawing for it really isn't something anyone could do and there's no volunteers then agreeing some way that the other 5 pay more for their rooms is the only way to try and make it fair.
I presume room size wasn't a priority until the group had more time to think about it and they decided it was?
beautyviews
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Ah I see where your dilemma is then, it's a difficult one. It's really not a good way to deal with it at all but if drawing for it really isn't something anyone could do and there's no volunteers then agreeing some way that the other 5 pay more for their rooms is the only way to try and make it fair.
I presume room size wasn't a priority until the group had more time to think about it and they decided it was?
The person with the small room will definitely pay less, its just no one is attracted by that incentive. They are literally refusing to do it fairly but there is literally no other way.

Yes there weren't many houses left
Luneth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're paying a larger amount for a bigger room, I'd personally just pick the small room. In big houses, especially student ones, you want a snug room to trap heat in (since I doubt you'll be blasting the heating all the time).
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The person with the small room will definitely pay less, its just no one is attracted by that incentive. They are literally refusing to do it fairly but there is literally no other way.

This user makes a great point, whoever takes the smallest room would need less spent on heating and the like. Maybe sit down together and mention the other benefits of having a smaller room. Unless you re willing to be the martyr of the group and take it?
(Original post by Luneth)
If you're paying a larger amount for a bigger room, I'd personally just pick the small room. In big houses, especially student ones, you want a snug room to trap heat in (since I doubt you'll be blasting the heating all the time).
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Out of a hat or be sensible and get a different house where that isn't a problem...
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then lower the price of the small room at the expense of the bigger rooms. Repeat until someone is happy to take the small room at that price.

Fairest way. No-one wants the small room so it is worth less.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What do you mean they are outright refusing? What do they think is going to happen, that in September they'll just run into the house first, leg it into the biggest room and lock the door?

It's fair to change the price of the smallest room if it's a significant difference but it sounds like you've already done that. If you think a bigger price difference would make a difference to anyone you could try that - as someone said change the prices until someone decides the saving is worth it.

Other than that I suggest the people who are being reasonable organise names into a hat, get everyone together (by trickery if necessary) and pull a name out in front of them and then refuse to back down. You MUST do this in front of them or if one of the absent people is chosen they will wonder if it was fair and use it as an excuse for a 'rerun' (and you can't go down that road). The other thing to remember is that these people clearly believe there is a pushover somewhere in the group and that if they are stubborn for long enough someone will give in and let them have what they want - try and band together and all agree NOT to do that, it's really selfish and spoilt to refuse to draw names and they shouldn't be allowed to 'win'.
iamawesomejoy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lower the price of the smaller room. when something is in less demand, it should be cheaper! seriously, i much rather have a cosy small room than a cold big room.

it really depends on what you are going to use the room for. as a student, i presumed most of your time is spent at the desk or in bed. so why do you need such a big room?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads