Aqa english literature new spec helppp!!!!

Watch
adh123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi
I am currentlyin year 12 taking A Level English Literature. My exam board is AQA and the essays are 25 marks. I am currently getting 10 or 11 marks and i really need help with the essays. If anyone has any advice or tips as to how to improve please could you post them here. Thanks in advance!!!
p.gale
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you looked at the AOs?
adh123
Rep:
?
(Original post by p.gale)
Have you looked at the AOs?
Yep.Still struggling! Please tell me someone else taking english lit was getting 10/25 in year 12!!!! ://
Unwrittenstars
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing this! I'm now in Year 13 and I was getting around the same as you as to begin with, where in my AS exam I got 22/25 and 19/25 on two of my essays.

I agree with the comment above about the AOs as obviously that's ultimately what the examiners are looking for within your essay, I'm not sure on too many tips, but I'll try, although I could always send you some notes I have on the AOs from lectures the Head of English at my school did which might help?

AO1 - Use correct terminology and weave this throughout your essay - it depends what you're doing, so I did tragedy and I had certain terms I had to use throughout my essay to ensure I'd get these marks. AO1 is also about writing a good essay, so essentially having good essay writing skills is a start.

AO2 - Quotes, finding meanings. Again, it's a case of weaving this into an essay and using the correct terminology throughout. You need to say why the individual has used a certain word or phrase and what effect this has, it might help by thinking about what it would have been like if they had used a different word etc.

AO3 - Historical context. Now this needs to be fully linked to your argument, else it's completely pointless as you don't want to turn it into a history essay. I'm not too sure how to explain much else about it though.

AO4 - Links across texts. Honestly this one I found that I was doing this when I was just writing my essays, as anytime you link across a text it counts!

AO5 - Different interpretations. Like the other AOs this needs to be weaved throughout your essay, considering different interpretations but which fully link to your argument and add greater meaning.

Sorry for going into a bit of a rant about the AOs but I hoped this helped in some way, and let me know if you need anything else! Plus, out of interest, what are you studying for it?
adh123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unwrittenstars)
I'm doing this! I'm now in Year 13 and I was getting around the same as you as to begin with, where in my AS exam I got 22/25 and 19/25 on two of my essays.

I agree with the comment above about the AOs as obviously that's ultimately what the examiners are looking for within your essay, I'm not sure on too many tips, but I'll try, although I could always send you some notes I have on the AOs from lectures the Head of English at my school did which might help?

AO1 - Use correct terminology and weave this throughout your essay - it depends what you're doing, so I did tragedy and I had certain terms I had to use throughout my essay to ensure I'd get these marks. AO1 is also about writing a good essay, so essentially having good essay writing skills is a start.

AO2 - Quotes, finding meanings. Again, it's a case of weaving this into an essay and using the correct terminology throughout. You need to say why the individual has used a certain word or phrase and what effect this has, it might help by thinking about what it would have been like if they had used a different word etc.

AO3 - Historical context. Now this needs to be fully linked to your argument, else it's completely pointless as you don't want to turn it into a history essay. I'm not too sure how to explain much else about it though.

AO4 - Links across texts. Honestly this one I found that I was doing this when I was just writing my essays, as anytime you link across a text it counts!

AO5 - Different interpretations. Like the other AOs this needs to be weaved throughout your essay, considering different interpretations but which fully link to your argument and add greater meaning.

Sorry for going into a bit of a rant about the AOs but I hoped this helped in some way, and let me know if you need anything else! Plus, out of interest, what are you studying for it?
Thanks so much! How long did it take you to get your essays up to 20/25? I am doing it for 2 years and i am studying Wuthering Heights, Othello, A streetcar named desire and Northanger Abbey along with pre 1900 poetry.
Unwrittenstars
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adh123)
Thanks so much! How long did it take you to get your essays up to 20/25? I am doing it for 2 years and i am studying Wuthering Heights, Othello, A streetcar named desire and Northanger Abbey along with pre 1900 poetry.
Literally that's what I got in my exam so the whole year! My average throughout the year was probably around 15/16 but could be as low as 7!

Ah that's cool! I do King Lear, Death of a Salesman, John Keats poetry, Atonement, Brighton Rock and a selection of poems!
ammd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Literally that's what I got in my exam so the whole year! My average throughout the year was probably around 15/16 but could be as low as 7!

Ah that's cool! I do King Lear, Death of a Salesman, John Keats poetry, Atonement, Brighton Rock and a selection of poems!
Ah okay! Would you rewrite the essay's and try to improve them or would you just make more notes/revision on the book?
Unwrittenstars
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ammd)
Ah okay! Would you rewrite the essay's and try to improve them or would you just make more notes/revision on the book?
I did extra essays which I got my teacher to mark, as he was happy to do so, but then I combined it with learning all the important information about the book towards the AOs!
sxashx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
omg!!! im studying those texts however im doing othello instead of king lear! can you help me out?? my exam is in two weeks and i am struggling so bad with essay structure and using the aos linking with the text! do you also have any essays that are 17/25 and above that you could send to me?! need your help. ive been getting as low as 8 and the highest only 15!
sxashx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Omg!!! im studying those texts however im doing othello instead of king lear! can you help me out?? my exam is in two weeks and i am struggling so bad with essay structure and using the aos linking with the text! do you also have any essays that are 17/25 and above that you could send to me?! need your help. ive been getting as low as 8 and the highest only 15!
_Maz_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Do you have any notes you could possibly post?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.49%
I'm not sure (46)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.55%
I have already dropped out (29)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (516)
48.86%

Watched Threads