The Student Room Group

Oxford Math's and Joint Schools Applicants for 2017.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lewman99
Hi folks. In case anyone's interested, I just got feedback from St. John's for Maths and Computer Science (unfortunately I was rejected):

* There's the standard preamble about "competition for places is intense". For St. John's there were 141 applications for Maths and Joint Subjects. In total 20 candidates got an offer (9 to other colleges).
* I got a MAT score of 70 (slightly below the 73.5 average for Maths and CS), and it lists your ranking for that version of the test (for me it was 46/306).
* It shows your average interview score out of 9 (for me it was 6.61)
* It shows your overall score out of 9, based on your whole application (for me it was 7). It says that everyone with an 8/9 got offers (I'm not sure whether this means only people with 8/9 got offers, or whether some people with 7s got offers).

Overall I'm quite encouraged. It seems like it was closer than I thought. I performed a little worse in the MAT than I thought (by about 4-5 marks, maybe), but the interviews went better than expected (and that was with an interview that was quite bad). I've been considering reapplying next year, and I think this feedback makes that possibility more feasible.

Thanks for publishing the feedback you received from St John's College. My son applied to New College, for the same course as you were, and their three interviews did not go well for him. He had two more interviews from St Anne's College and he scored 8/9 (comment attributed to the Computer Science- quick mostly clever ) and he scored 7+ for the second interview and no comment attached to the second interview. His MAT scores were joint 81st across the University. His GCSE were 8A*s and 6As and predicted ALs are 3A*s. I would like to know your view, whether it is worth to make an appeal to rejection and review the decision.
Reply 221
Original post by Diassuri
Thanks for publishing the feedback you received from St John's College. My son applied to New College, for the same course as you were, and their three interviews did not go well for him. He had two more interviews from St Anne's College and he scored 8/9 (comment attributed to the Computer Science- quick mostly clever ) and he scored 7+ for the second interview and no comment attached to the second interview. His MAT scores were joint 81st across the University. His GCSE were 8A*s and 6As and predicted ALs are 3A*s. I would like to know your view, whether it is worth to make an appeal to rejection and review the decision.

Apologies if this is a little blunt, but that MAT rank of 81st is well outside the 30 or so offers made for maths and comp, and if at least some of the interviews didn't go well, then what would be the case for an appeal?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 222

I applied for Maths & Comp Sci at St Annes and hold an offer (so naturally I don't know my scores). I had 3 interviews at St Annes, and one at Keble. My Computer Science interview at St Annes didn't go very well, and the 3rd interview there was short notice, with the same interviewer. So a few questions.
1) When you say 81st, I'm assuming that's across all 1973 applicants for joint schools, not just maths/comp sci. Is this correct?
2) From the sound of things, only his final interviews were well scored. As I recall, when I asked about the process at the Comp Sci school, a score of 7 was roughly the threshold for an offer. Colleges all make their own decisions, but poor scores in previous interviews may have worked against him. What is the overall picture of interview scores?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by Solocle
I applied for Maths & Comp Sci at St Annes and hold an offer (so naturally I don't know my scores). I had 3 interviews at St Annes, and one at Keble. My Computer Science interview at St Annes didn't go very well, and the 3rd interview there was short notice, with the same interviewer. So a few questions.
1) When you say 81st, I'm assuming that's across all 1973 applicants for joint schools, not just maths/comp sci. Is this correct?
2) From the sound of things, only his final interviews were well scored. As I recall, when I asked about the process at the Comp Sci school, a score of 7 was roughly the threshold for an offer. Colleges all make their own decisions, but poor scores in previous interviews may have worked against him. What is the overall picture of interview scores?

No this ranking is for M&C students only - it has to be as they do different questions to every other group.
Original post by RichE
No this ranking is for M&C students only - it has to be as they do different questions to every other group.

So that would be 81st out of 306 maths & compsci applicants last year where 42 offers were made.
Reply 225
Original post by skitheeast
So that would be 81st out of 306 maths & compsci applicants last year where 42 offers were made.

Yes
Original post by Solocle

First of all let me congratulate you for your success. I wish you all best for you for great future. For your questions I also can assume that his MAT score is 81/1973 their wordings are in the feedback letter says joint 81st across the country.Overall picture of his previous interviews, none of his interviews were graded ‘Accept’, though two were in the borderline zone (one in the top tercile of that zone, the other in the bottom tercile). I don' know why they have not given actual marks out of 9 for all 3 interviews. St Anne's gave marks for 2 interviews as CS ' 8/9' and Maths '7+/9'
Reply 227
For your questions I also can assume that his MAT score is 81/1973 their wordings are in the feedback letter says joint 81st across the country.

As I mentioned above the ranking of 81st is out of the maths & Comp applicants alone. No global ranking for M&C applicants is generated as they do different questions, only a subrank.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by RichE

I'm not so sure. Just because there's a different question, most of the questions remain the same.
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Mathsgroup%20feedback%202016.pdf publishes all results together. 81st, you're by no means the only person made no offer, but most were.
However, on the interviews, 8/9 and 7+/9 seems awfully high to miss out on an offer. When I was there, I got the impression that the 7's are where they are undecided. A 7+ would logically be "unsure, but lean towards accept". And the fact that they have 7-,7=,7+ would suggest this is where the line is. If the MAT score was 81st of maths/comp sci then it would make more sense. 1973/306 * 81st = 522nd. That's still an area with plenty of offers made.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 229
Original post by Solocle
I'm not so sure. Just because there's a different question, most of the questions remain the same.

I work in the mathematics department at Oxford. I am 100% confident in this case that the ranking refers to the M&CS cohort alone.
Reply 230
Original post by Solocle
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Mathsgroup%20feedback%202016.pdf publishes all results together. 81st, you're by no means the only person made no offer, but most were.
However, on the interviews, 8/9 and 7+/9 seems awfully high to miss out on an offer. When I was there, I got the impression that the 7's are where they are undecided. A 7+ would logically be "unsure, but lean towards accept". And the fact that they have 7-,7=,7+ would suggest this is where the line is. If the MAT score was 81st of maths/comp sci then it would make more sense. 1973/306 * 81st = 522nd. That's still an area with plenty of offers made.

As a PS to my previous post - the M/M&S/M&P results can be and are grouped together precisely because they do the same five questions. I used to be in the job that wrote the annual feedback you're referencing.

And more generally, re Oxford interviews, some good interviews do not discount other colleges' interviews. Colleges aren't interviewing just for themselves and consider all grades and other information.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 231
Original post by RichE
I work in the mathematics department at Oxford. I am 100% confident in this case that the ranking refers to the M&CS cohort alone.

OK, that's interesting. How much of a bearing would MAT score have on outcome with an 8/7+ in interviews?

Re your latest reply, so it sounds like a poor interview at another college.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 232
Original post by Solocle
OK, that's interesting. How much of a bearing would MAT score have on outcome with an 8/7+ in interviews?

Re your latest reply, so it sounds like a poor interview at another college.

There's no simple answer to that as everything is treated holistically, there is no mechanistic formula with weightings. Someone averaging 8/7+ at interviews and with a competitive MAT would normally get an offer. But it's a competitive process and the overall quality of a field, particularly in a small joint school, can shift.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by alvinvin7
I'm a Mathematics and Computer Science holder too and I am interested in the group chats.

Congratulations on your offer!
May I ask your MAT score, how many interviews you had and interview marks out 9.
Original post by LucySW123
I got an maths&cs offer!

Congratulations on the offer! I would like to your MAT score, how the interviews went and the marks out of 9.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending