The Student Room Group

Home Educated, Exams next year, and totally lost.

Hi,

I have been struggling with social anxiety for a few years now, causing me to jump from school to school due to the uncooperative headteachers refusing to shorten my school hours so that I could partially study at home. My self esteem and confidence is non-existent. I really wish to succeed and study hard.

I went to see a Vet Nursing college, and they told me I need 5 GCSE's/IGCSE's grade C and above, with English Language, Maths and a Science needed. I really hope I can get into this college.

I cannot get myself to study as my mind wanders and I waste time. Months and months of no studying and now here I am in November, with a few of my exams (even this not yet decided) in May, and I basically have some of year 10 and all of year 11 work to do.

I am panicking and time is running out, I have a few books but most only one book out of two that makes up a course. Please do help me I am begging, anyone who has a time table from when they home educated or a list of books for these subjects:

Edexcel: Maths, English Language
AQA: Biology, Geography
And I need to pick one more subject to make up the 5 for me to get into the college, any suggestions on something more simple?

I have no more motivation, and I feel depressed and lost as everyone else is rushing through life and actually DOING things, and Im sat at home on my phone in my room with no will to carry on.

Please help me.
-Emese

Scroll to see replies

You have only yourself to blame. I don't know who it is that decided you were better off being tutored at home but it was a really bad call from them.
You can have as much time as you want in order to get your grades and move to higher education but it counts for absolutely nothing if you don't learn from past mistakes.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
You have only yourself to blame. I don't know who it is that decided you were better off being tutored at home but it was a really bad call from them.
You can have as much time as you want in order to get your grades and move to higher education but it counts for absolutely nothing if you don't learn from past mistakes.

First, the schools I have been in are absoulte garbage, I would not have learnt any more at all. Teachers do nothing while the students shout and scream and waste my time when I wanted to study. All I want to focus on is to get grades, and staying in school would have made things worst. Honestly you are rude, why post when all you want to do is blame someone.
Original post by Emashay
Hi,

I have been struggling with social anxiety for a few years now, causing me to jump from school to school due to the uncooperative headteachers refusing to shorten my school hours so that I could partially study at home. My self esteem and confidence is non-existent. I really wish to succeed and study hard.

I went to see a Vet Nursing college, and they told me I need 5 GCSE's/IGCSE's grade C and above, with English Language, Maths and a Science needed. I really hope I can get into this college.

I cannot get myself to study as my mind wanders and I waste time. Months and months of no studying and now here I am in November, with a few of my exams (even this not yet decided) in May, and I basically have some of year 10 and all of year 11 work to do.

I am panicking and time is running out, I have a few books but most only one book out of two that makes up a course. Please do help me I am begging, anyone who has a time table from when they home educated or a list of books for these subjects:

And I need to pick one more subject to make up the 5 for me to get into the college, any suggestions on something more simple?

I have no more motivation, and I feel depressed and lost as everyone else is rushing through life and actually DOING things, and Im sat at home on my phone in my room with no will to carry on.

Please help me.
-Emese

Oh dear - I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have any tutors who come in during your homeschooling?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Oh dear - I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have any tutors who come in during your homeschooling?

I do not, I just need to find the right study books. :frown:
Original post by Emashay
I do not, I just need to find the right study books. :frown:

Ok. Well of course it's up to you, and I don't know your individual circumstances, but I'd strongly advise you get a personal tutor to help you devise a study plan, pace out the work and generally support you. It's a very big ask to try to do all this yourself, and I cannot recommend it. Do you think getting yourself a tutor is a possibility?
Reply 6
Original post by shawn_o1
Ah there it is, your social anxiety is because you talked your schools down even after they tried their absolute hardest to accommodate you. What an absolute shame that you didn't make a single friendship. It's always their fault isn't it

Oh so you were there? When we went to talk to my headteacher and he was so uneducated that he was totally unaware of what home education was and he said it was ''illegal'' and my parents had to actually show him that it was totally legal? You were there when he said that he doesn't care about my anxiety and I should study as everyone else and refused to give me a pass to use in classes when I was hyperventilating and panicking? He refused to help me. He also made snark racist remarks about me and the fact that I am not British.

So, were you there to witness him ''trying his absolute hardest to accommodate me''? Nooo, you weren't, because all you do is come on here to hate on people who have relaised their mistakes and try to gather what is left to move on and succeed. My headteacher didn't care that teachers weren't teaching, and 2 girls bullied to suicide. He did nothing to ''accommodate'' anyone.

I came here to ask for help, and you are not giving any so you can get over yourself. I don't know who you are but you are disgusting.
Emashay, where are you writing your GCSEs - at school or are these to be written as a private candidate (usually iGCSEs in that case) at an exam centre? Usually when you're home educated someone (a parent) takes a lead role in your education, where is this person and why are they not helping with tutoring you or arranging for a tutor to help you?

The reason I ask if you're writing as a private candidate is because you might be able to write the exams a year later if you need to, assuming it's not all booked already. That would give you time to get yourself organised with tuition so that you are well prepared and exam ready. I'm not sure about the vet nurse college though, if would they enrol you a year later, you'd need to speak with them to find out the details but I can't see why not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Exactly. This is post-Brexit Britain you're living in, your one case of being mistreated against must not stop you from throwing in the towel at any walk of life, as strangers have even less time for such problems. Therefore I cannot emphasise any further how important it is to have that network of social contacts that will give you more opportunities in life. Don't let your lack of social life bite you in the back no matter how hard you work academically.
Reply 9
Original post by SmilingWombat
Emashay, where are you writing your GCSEs - at school or are these to be written as a private candidate (usually iGCSEs in that case) at an exam centre? Usually when you're home educated someone (a parent) takes a lead role in your education, where is this person and why are they not helping with tutoring you or arranging for a tutor to help you?

The reason I ask if you're writing as a private candidate is because you might be able to write the exams a year later if you need to, assuming it's not all booked already. That would give you time to get yourself organised with tuition so that you are well prepared and exam ready. I'm not sure about the vet nurse college though, if would they enrol you a year later, you'd need to speak with them to find out the details but I can't see why not.

Yes they take student 16-19 for free and then if your over that age you must pay for the course. I have been to my exam centre and all my exams are ready to be booked. :smile: I just need to set a new time table and split my exams so I do half this year and half the next.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Ok. Well of course it's up to you, and I don't know your individual circumstances, but I'd strongly advise you get a personal tutor to help you devise a study plan, pace out the work and generally support you. It's a very big ask to try to do all this yourself, and I cannot recommend it. Do you think getting yourself a tutor is a possibility?

I went to my exam centre and the exam advisor gave me her email, so I will be contacting her for some help also. Hopefully she can help to give advice on a study plan.
Original post by Emashay
Hi,

Please help me.
-Emese

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Given your social anxiety and the fact that your school was so unhelpful, being home schooled is a perfectly legitimate way to do your GCSEs so don't worry. If you don't think you can get all the work done to sit your exams in May 2017 then you could decide to sit them in May 2018 instead which would be better than sitting them now and not doing as well.

If you look on the exam board websites they will have the specifications for the GCSEs you are taking along with past papers and mark schemes. The AQA website also tells you which textbooks you need and if you google it you'll find the edexcel textbooks. Make sure you get the actual official textbooks that have the name of the exam board on them so that you can be certain that they have all the information you need to know for the exams. Make sure you get the textbooks for the version of the course you're studying - it looks like there are different ones for if you're doing the A*-U grading version or the 9-1 version.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.htm

Given you're doing Biology you might need to go into a school to do assessed practicals. For another GCSE, in terms of going with the other subjects you've chosen and being good for Vet Nursing, I would say chemistry but that's obviously not easy. Personally, I would suggest taking more than five because although they say five you'll be more likely to get in if you have closer to the number of GCSEs that you would normally take at school. It's totally up to you though so probably look at a list of the GCSEs you can do wherever you're sitting them and choose one(s) that you think you'll enjoy and do well at.

In terms of motivation, just think how great it'll be once you get to do what you want to do and study maybe for short periods of time with breaks so that you don't get overwhelmed. If you have medically diagnosed anxiety then you might be able to get extra time in exams so you should look into that now if you think you might be eligible because you'll need to apply for that in advance. Don't worry about what other people are doing, just focus on doing the best for YOU.

In terms of studying at home, personally I like to read the text books to study cause I remember it that way but I know that doesn't work for most people so most likely you'll want to make notes on the textbook and then revise those. Also, it's useful to go through the textbok and answer all the questions in it (the answers are usually at the back of the book). Draw up a study timetable for between now and the exams (allowing for time off in the holidays obviously). This might take a while to do but will be really worth it in the end, honestly. I wasn't home schooled but my school weren't exactly great haha so I did a lot of studying at home. Once you've revised the textbooks, you should do past papers to make sure you know the format of the exams, how the questions are asked and the key points the examiners will be looking for in the answers.

Sorry for the essay haha! Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Starlight27
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Given your social anxiety and the fact that your school was so unhelpful, being home schooled is a perfectly legitimate way to do your GCSEs so don't worry. If you don't think you can get all the work done to sit your exams in May 2017 then you could decide to sit them in May 2018 instead which would be better than sitting them now and not doing as well.

If you look on the exam board websites they will have the specifications for the GCSEs you are taking along with past papers and mark schemes. The AQA website also tells you which textbooks you need and if you google it you'll find the edexcel textbooks. Make sure you get the actual official textbooks that have the name of the exam board on them so that you can be certain that they have all the information you need to know for the exams. Make sure you get the textbooks for the version of the course you're studying - it looks like there are different ones for if you're doing the A*-U grading version or the 9-1 version.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.htm

Given you're doing Biology you might need to go into a school to do assessed practicals. For another GCSE, in terms of going with the other subjects you've chosen and being good for Vet Nursing, I would say chemistry but that's obviously not easy. Personally, I would suggest taking more than five because although they say five you'll be more likely to get in if you have closer to the number of GCSEs that you would normally take at school. It's toally up to you though so probably look at a list of the GCSEs you can do wherever you're sitting them and choose one(s) that you think you'll enjoy and do well at.

In terms of motivation, just think how great it'll be once you get to do what you want to do and study maybe for short periods of time with breaks so that you don't get overwhelmed. If you have medically diagnosed anxiety then you might be able to get extra time in exams so you should look into that now if you think you might be eligible because you'll need to apply for that in advance. Don't worry about what other people are doing, just focus on doing the best for YOU.

In terms of studying at home, personally I like to read the text books to study cause I remember it that way but I know that doesn't work for most people so most likely you'll want to make notes on the textbook and then revise those. Also, it's useful to go through the textbok and answer all the questions in it (the answers are usually at the back of the book). Draw up a study timetable for between now and the exams (allowing for time off in the holidays obviously). This might take a while to do but will be really worth it in the end, honestly. I wasn't home schooled but my school weren't exactly great haha so I did a lot of studying at home. Once you've revised the textbooks, you should do past papers to make sure you know the format of the exams, how the questions are asked and the key points the examiners will be looking for in the answers.

Sorry for the essay haha! Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you so much. :smile: I will buy a calendar so maybe I could draw up tables in that and put my different subjects? I have a few books and they are very good so I just need to get the rest. You are very helpful and I do need to just motivate myself. I am doing IGCSE's which are different from GCSE's and require no coursework or practicles so I can do 2 Biology papers and thats all I need for it which does make things easier. :smile:
Thank you very much for the help and the much needed motivation! :smile:
Original post by Emashay
Thank you so much. :smile: I will buy a calendar so maybe I could draw up tables in that and put my different subjects? I have a few books and they are very good so I just need to get the rest. You are very helpful and I do need to just motivate myself. I am doing IGCSE's which are different from GCSE's and require no coursework or practicles so I can do 2 Biology papers and thats all I need for it which does make things easier. :smile:
Thank you very much for the help and the much needed motivation! :smile:

You're welcome! :h: Yes, that would be fine. I used to do a table in microsoft word but a calendar would work too. That's a lot better then, I wish I could have done that in a way haha! Sorry, I didn't realise you said IGCSEs because I think you will have to sit those in 2017 because AQA are discontinuing them.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/aqa-certificate
I really hope it all goes well for you! :smile:
Duplicate
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Emashay
Hi,

Please help me.
-Emese

Tbh it sounds like you have serious mental health issues (anxiety) that is so impactful it has totally undermined your ability to study.

You have moved yourself away from school which provides the teaching framework, but it looks like you are too young to cope by yourself? It take a fair degree of discipline and study skills to teahc yourself things imo and they might not come till later. You sound a long way behind. I would be concerned this sounds like too far.

Your parents must have put some form of home schooling advice in place? You need a proper assessment of where you are to make sure what you need to do is realistically achievable . You really need some tutors as well.

Imo I would delay a year, get my mental helath on an even keel then take the exams next year. As for a fifth subject then any will do on top of one science, maths and Englsh. Do something you enjoy. People seem to find religious studies quite straightforward , especially if you know the techniques to answer questions.

You can get yourself revision books/ nores for each of your subjects , whcih cna save time if used correctly, but you really need contact witha tutor who can mark your work so you know where you are and where you can improve.

1. Please get some help with your mental health issues. being in a ood frame of mind is imprtnat for effective study.

2. You need more guidance and support for studying at home because you seem to be in trouble at the moment. Umo its better to take the exams when you are more in control and have dealt with the above.

Use Amazon and the reviews on there for which are the best revision series tbh they are so cheap , then look at the various ones and see which style suits you. make sure they are for your exact syllabus.

If you absolutely have to do it this yearm then no time to waste, so you have to get motivated and organised. Have a plan with the objective of getting onto the course. Get organised and work out a timetable. Remind yourself how much getting on the course means and how you achieve that. Take it one day at a time and keep hitting the targets. You will beed to commit and spend more ime doing as well as less time worrying. You can do it if you set your mind to it, but you must shake yourself now and change direction. Start by making the detailed plan.

@DarkEnergy 's blog showing how he wants A*A*A* is a good example of someone who is organised and motivated. Look how his mind thinks and how he plans his studies all with the same objective.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Bloody hell, this is an eye opener to read when I'm concerned about getting an A in a couple of subjects, instead of an A*. In terms of a fith subject, although I would recommend you take 10 next year, I'd take a language. The essential GCSE's are English, maths, a humanity, a science and a language. You've got geography which is a solid humanity, and I would consider all of your options as more facilitating subjects. Out of those, you don't have a language, which is highly regarded by universities and colleges. I recommend you take a modern language such as French, Spanish or German.

I would also mention that English literature is a facilitating subject at A level, according to the Russel Group universities. I would strongly urge you to at least take a sixth GCSE, which is literature, bearing in mind they are cross-curricular.

Furthermore, I would not split the exams. I know it may seem like a way to relieve pressure, but if you do not feel comfortable sitting all of them this year then I suggest that you take all of them next year. Re-sits and splitting papers both look bad in front of colleges and universities, and that’s not just my opinion, again its all outlined in "informed choices" by the Russel Group universities (Oxford, Cambridge and LSE etc). I know this may seem beyond your expectations, but their opinions are representative of most HE institutions.

For revision, the syllabuses are your best friends. They detail everything you need to know, like a mini-textbook. By the way, I am also taking IGCSEs, including AQA biology and geography. In lessons I type all my notes, so let me know if you want me to send them or upload them to google drive. Hope this helped, good luck!
Original post by Emashay
Hi,

Please help me.
-Emese

All I can say is try not to worry because I was in a similar position to you last year as I always procrastinated and never revised and had low self esteem. It was hard trust me but everyone around me was telling me not to worry and eventually it did help me relax. I always self doubted myself and thought I was a failure but my results proved I was able to pass. I suggest that you form yourself an exam time table revision sheet and stick to it . Also if you find it hard to get work done and sticking to it I suggest taking just 5 GCSEs which would get you on the coarse you wanna do and relieve stress . I suggest taking core and additional science instead as it's generally easier and less stressful. Hope this helps . I hope you manage to excell your dreams.😀
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Emashay
Oh so you were there? When we went to talk to my headteacher and he was so uneducated that he was totally unaware of what home education was and he said it was ''illegal'' and my parents had to actually show him that it was totally legal? You were there when he said that he doesn't care about my anxiety and I should study as everyone else and refused to give me a pass to use in classes when I was hyperventilating and panicking? He refused to help me. He also made snark racist remarks about me and the fact that I am not British.

So, were you there to witness him ''trying his absolute hardest to accommodate me''? Nooo, you weren't, because all you do is come on here to hate on people who have relaised their mistakes and try to gather what is left to move on and succeed. My headteacher didn't care that teachers weren't teaching, and 2 girls bullied to suicide. He did nothing to ''accommodate'' anyone.

I came here to ask for help, and you are not giving any so you can get over yourself. I don't know who you are but you are disgusting.

This is so sad to hear😥
I really hope things turn out well for you . Some people are just ignorant and don't understand what anxiety is like. You dont deserve to be treated like this . Stay strong
You can do it!
As someone who was homeschooled from reading your first post i'd be questioning if you really want it. You say your mind wanders when you try and study, when you're homeschooled it can't. You have to find the motivation from somewhere to keep going, it can also be very isolating.
However saying that it was the best thing that ever happened to me and I am glad I was homeschooled..

Also think about if you can afford it as well. If you go fully homeschooled you won't be registered at a school anymore. You won't be able to rock up to your nearest college and take your exams. You have to go to a private centre (and trust me, there arent that many around). We had to commute to Oxford from Birmingham so I could take my exams..Also...the cost of exams falls to you, the school refuse to cover it. It's about £160 per exam...

Quick Reply

Latest