Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try to list what my "ideal" university would be like (stealing idea from "worried_mess") and would be very happy if you could help me find something like it.

I have lots of points though so I'm not really expecting any place to have them all. Here goes:

The Course

* MPhys/MSci/MA Physics (with/and astronomy/astrophysics) or similar. Fair amount of astronomy and maybe also an option to choose something else (geology perhaps).

* A uni with good reputation and good entry requirements (AAA-ABBish). Not too "obsessive" students though.

* Good teachers, meaning they are good at teaching. Good student progress (few drop-outs, lots of 1st's/upper 2nds).

* Small-group teaching (tutorials/supervisions/problem-solving), as much as possible. Not too many hrs total teaching though.

* Fair amount of International- (10% or more), Female-(25%<) and Mature students.

The Place

* NOT London

* Small city/town/village with easy access to large city = Perfect. Medium size/feeling OK. Not super-expensive (£100 excl. food/bills).

* Nice Area, greeenish, river/lake/sea, pretty buildings (esp. uni)

* Extra points = Swimming pool and/or Gym (large, near uni/accom.), Ice-Rink.

* Professional dance classes (modern/contemporary/ballet/jazz/street) or good level adult classes at reasonable distance (max 1 hr each way) and active dance society at University.

Accomodation

* Close to Physics (5 min great, max 30).

* Catered (3 meals/day) and Single ES ideal, I'll settle for less. Rooms=decent quality and size + good Internet-access(important). Library+computer room+laundry in building.

Sorry for the long post.
    Florence/Dancer83

EDINBURGH

The Course

The course is a MPhys and aswell as offering an independent astronomy degree they allow ouside modules to be taken and for you to delay the decision about your actualy course.

Reputation speaks for itself and the university has some of the highest entry standards in the UK. For your course the average is around ABB which is up on the previous years (i.e. better to have rising grades).

Your DoS will ensure your welfare and academic progress. The teaching standards are exellent acroos the board.

Around 14% across the university are international students.

The Place

NOT London

Spot on for the prices you said

One of the most picturesque cities in the world.

Several gym's and two swimming pools

Societies to cater for just about everything. The festival helps you to soak up the culture the city is steeped in. Great tradition in the arts.

Accomodation

REDICULOUS amounts of accomodation.

Pollocks halls are catered and often compared to top hotels (apparently ). RESNET provides unlimited internet access.

Nottingham, Durham. Both fit what you are asking for i reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Durham fits perfectly, except Im not sure what the swimming/gym facilities are like..

ReputationRep:
    Imperial would sound like it may fit your course requirements very well, but unfortunately not your other requirements (except 25%< girls, your doing physics for crying out loud!!).

Durham sounds perfect otherwise, although I can't say about dance classes. They let you take modules outside your main subject, and seemed to be strong in astrophysics.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    York fits that pretty much perfectly I think?

ReputationRep:
    How about Exeter? http://www.ex.ac.uk/

The department of Physics site is http://newton.ex.ac.uk/

Exeter do MPhys courses one of which is Physics with Astrophysics. The courses are also very flexible apparently, so you can choose the modules you want to take (use the “Timetables” part of the department of Physics site to see). You can also take modules outside of the school of physics I think, and I have a feeling they might do Geology.

From what I gather, the grades needed are ABB and their students are not “obsessive”. You can find the stats on the teaching, drop outs and final results on the websites I gave, I expect. I’m told you get assigned a tutor that you get tutorials and problem classes with. I think the stats for international students and females will be on the sites I gave.

Exeter is in the South West, 4 hours drive/train from London and is a small city. It has the “most beautiful” campus in the country, see http://www.ex.ac.uk/about/tours.shtml .

They have an outdoor swimming pool on the main campus and a big indoor one on the second campus. They have excellent sports facilities (they came 6th overall in the BUSA rankings) and the nearest ice rink is Plymouth. Can’t get any info on dancing from the people I know, but there’s bound to be dancing somewhere.

See http://www.exeteruniversityaccommodation.co.uk/ for accommodation details and maps.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    In a word, Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slinec)
    In a word, Oxford
    In a phrase - "Not too "obsessive" students though".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    In a phrase - "Not too "obsessive" students though".
    Obessive? Us?! Well actually I can't talk quite like that yet as haven't officially got in yet? (prays she has grades!).

How about Bath or Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancer83)
    I'm going to try to list what my "ideal" university would be like (stealing idea from "worried_mess") and would be very happy if you could help me find something like it.

I have lots of points though so I'm not really expecting any place to have them all. Here goes:

The Course

* MPhys/MSci/MA Physics (with/and astronomy/astrophysics) or similar. Fair amount of astronomy and maybe also an option to choose something else (geology perhaps).
    Durham offers MSci Physics, MSci Physics + Astro etc
    You get to choose an additional module in your 1st year that can be taken from anywhere, or if you opt for the degree in Natural Sciences you can choose modules from anywhere
    * A uni with good reputation and good entry requirements (AAA-ABBish). Not too "obsessive" students though.
    Durham fits again wonderfully for this. More relaxed than oxbridge by far
    * Good teachers, meaning they are good at teaching. Good student progress (few drop-outs, lots of 1st's/upper 2nds).
    Majority of Physicists I knew got 2:1's Some 1sts but you have to work hard for that. Drop out rate very low for the entire uni. As for teachers, I think they are good but at any research based uni, they will be employed for their ability to research some obscure area of physics, rather than teaching basic quantum to 18 year olds.
    * Small-group teaching (tutorials/supervisions/problem-solving), as much as possible. Not too many hrs total teaching though.
    1st year tutorial groups average 6 for physics.
    * Fair amount of International- (10% or more), Female-(25%<) and Mature students.
    Don't know the figures exactly but a fair amount of international students are in the university. Overall there is about 55% female, but for Physics thats about 30%

The Place

* NOT London
    Check!
    * Small city/town/village with easy access to large city = Perfect. Medium size/feeling OK. Not super-expensive (£100 excl. food/bills).
    Durham is a very small town, but has good train and bus links to Newcastle
    Rent in college is approx £90pw but includes food bills etc. Externally it ranges between £35pw and £90pw depending on how close to the centre you want to be
    * Nice Area, greeenish, river/lake/sea, pretty buildings (esp. uni)
    Very green. River winds through town. 1hr by bus from coast. University college is housed in a Norman Castle. Cathedral next door to Castle form part of a World Heritage Site
    * Extra points = Swimming pool and/or Gym (large, near uni/accom.), Ice-Rink.
    Swimming pool is just near Hild-Bede, but is council owned not uni owned. Gyms are found in almost all colleges, see prospectus for details. No ice-rink all year round, I think one appears in winter near the Gala Theatre / Arts centre. Newcastle is only 15mins away by train.
    * Professional dance classes (modern/contemporary/ballet/jazz/street) or good level adult classes at reasonable distance (max 1 hr each way) and active dance society at University.
    Dance society (called BALADS Ballroom And Latin American Dance Society) is active. Again Newcastle may be best for private lessons
    Accomodation
    * Close to Physics (5 min great, max 30).
    Furthest college is no more than 15mins walk.
    * Catered (3 meals/day) and Single ES ideal, I'll settle for less. Rooms=decent quality and size + good Internet-access(important). Library+computer room+laundry in building.
    Check prospectus for details. Some are now all cabled for nternet some are not. Most don't have ensuite for 1st years, but Van Mildert does

Sorry for the long post.
    Florence/Dancer83

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody!

I think I'll definetly look furter into Durham and maybe Edinburgh (Exeter really looked beautiful though). I think Oxbrigde might a bit too much for me.
    What about Bristol? It seems to have a good rep (am I right?). Is it a nice city? And is the uni good?

Thanks again,
    Florence/Dancer83

ReputationRep:
    Hello dancer and dave again.

well going back to durham, it has been number 1 for physics for 4 or 5 years now, got a rating of 100% by the Times, but really u want to look at wat u want from the course.

i liked durham because its practical aspect wasnt as bad as BATH, where its a huge focus, so if thats 4 u.

If u like maths and older physics, try OXFORD.

IMPERIAL gives good opportunites to work in the research departments.

Cambridge wd have to do it as nat sci, and isnt as gd as oxford 4 physics out of the two.

NOTTINGHAM has sum fun projects.

BIRMINGHAM give the best choice of subjects, like the one I chose, Physics with Particle Physics and Astronomy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    BIRMINGHAM give the best choice of subjects, like the one I chose, Physics with Particle Physics and Astronomy.
    You mean Particle Physics and Cosmology.

ReputationRep:
    sorry yeah, i did know that. I really liked the look of that course though. Very friendly staff too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    sorry yeah, i did know that. I really liked the look of that course though. Very friendly staff too!
    That's true, most of them are (esp. Dr. Mayhew).

ReputationRep:
    What about considering Lancaster Uni?

ReputationRep:
    exeter pritty much fits the great uni/city thing....its an hour to bristol and an hour to plymouth...and has everythning you could need in the city itself.

there is a dance soc. and i know that the uni runs lots of dance things like adult salsa classes and things like that. i would assume theres things externally as well, but obivously i havnt looked into this!

but im not actually going to suggest exeter...even thou i love the place.

my suggestion is CARDIFF

great physiscs department, especially for astrophysics.

the buildings are gorgeous! the city is a city and has everything but it still small. bristols only an hour away by train/car so if you want a bigger city you can stil explore.

i dont really know much else about cardiff uni,except everyone i know there loves it.

love Katy ***

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.