whats the timetable like at university?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
alio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i mean how much time do u actually spend there. is it similar to doing 3 A levels at college?
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Depends on which subject you go for...
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It'll depend on your course - for mine, I had 23 hours a week in uni last year. Arts subjects usually have less, but then they have to do lots of outside reading/essays and stuff.
alio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
Depends on which subject you go for...
sports science, or psychology which i might change to if i avoid failing
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by alio)
Don't really know anything about those subjects.

As said before, the general rule is that arts get less 'official' time, but are expected to do lots of reading outside of the timetable.
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by alio)
i mean how much time do u actually spend there. is it similar to doing 3 A levels at college?
I've been told by my Uni that i can expect to have around 12 -14 hours contact with tutors a week for Law, but i am supposed to do 20 - 30 hours reading a week if i am to keep up with the workload.
Chrism
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
First term last year I had 9 or 10 hours a week (depended on the week) of taught time, 6 in the 2nd term. As for reading, it varied depending on what mood I was in and what we were studying.
Pencil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This was my timetable last year. I chould choose my class times, but not lectures (hence Tuesday):

Monday
09-10: English Class
10-11: History Lecture
11-12: History Class

Tuesday
16-19: Media Lecture

Wednesday
09-10: Language Lecture
10-11: Language Class

Thursday
12-13: English Lecture
15-16: Media Class

Friday
DAY OFF
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by alio)
We have about 15 hours of contact time (Lectures & Seminar Groups) per week, and then we're expected to do at least that much again in non-contact time.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
We have about 15 hours of contact time (Lectures & Seminar Groups) per week, and then we're expected to do at least that much again in non-contact time.
unless you do history, where the lecture theatre janitor spends more time in the history lecture theatre that you do in a day.
Praddles
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
unless you do history, where the lecture theatre janitor spends more time in the history lecture theatre that you do in a day.
That made me laugh for quite a while!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
at exeter.....sport science first years had about 5 hours a week and psychology had about 7.

i had 16, grrrr

love Katy ***
female_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about for engineering? pretty packed i believe.
Osia
Report 16 years ago
And what about Fine Art? Does anyone know...?
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by female_engineer)
How about for engineering? pretty packed i believe.
Durham told me about 28hrs for Engineering, although that's with a broad course, and UMIST said about 19hrs for Civil Engineering.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had about 20 hours my first term, and 16 the second (as I chose an option module that was group coursework and based on a module we'd had the previous term so no lectures for it). My housemate who did English Lit had 4 lectures and 2 seminars a week :eek: and didn't spend much time reading either...
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by alio)
In my first year at Notts doing psych I had all of four psychology lectures a week...but I also had two philosophy lectures a week (compulsary subsiduary modules), a three hour lab once every two weeks, a one hour maths workshop once every two weeks and two philosophy seminars once every two weeks.

So about ten hours a week in total.

But we were expected to do a lot of extra reading, and we didn't have time in labs to write our reports, so that was all in our own time too.
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
Durham told me about 28hrs for Engineering, although that's with a broad course, and UMIST said about 19hrs for Civil Engineering.
yeah i had about that, although i only had about 15 hours of lectures and the rest was made up by compusary labs. But in my final year i had about 10 hours of lectures and insane amounts of labs, they expect you to find stuff out for yourself more i think the further you go through the course.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil)
This was my timetable last year. I chould choose my class times, but not lectures (hence Tuesday):

Monday
09-10: English Class
10-11: History Lecture
11-12: History Class

Tuesday
16-19: Media Lecture

Wednesday
09-10: Language Lecture
10-11: Language Class

Thursday
12-13: English Lecture
15-16: Media Class

Friday
DAY OFF

10 HOURS?? thats ridiculous...why do you even bother going to university!
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
10 HOURS?? thats ridiculous...why do you even bother going to university!
You don't just learn from lectures. Independent study is just as important.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (31)
20%
No (124)
80%

Watched Threads