Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i mean how much time do u actually spend there. is it similar to doing 3 A levels at college?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on which subject you go for...

ReputationRep:
    It'll depend on your course - for mine, I had 23 hours a week in uni last year. Arts subjects usually have less, but then they have to do lots of outside reading/essays and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Depends on which subject you go for...
    sports science, or psychology which i might change to if i avoid failing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    Don't really know anything about those subjects.

As said before, the general rule is that arts get less 'official' time, but are expected to do lots of reading outside of the timetable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    i mean how much time do u actually spend there. is it similar to doing 3 A levels at college?
    I've been told by my Uni that i can expect to have around 12 -14 hours contact with tutors a week for Law, but i am supposed to do 20 - 30 hours reading a week if i am to keep up with the workload.

ReputationRep:
    First term last year I had 9 or 10 hours a week (depended on the week) of taught time, 6 in the 2nd term. As for reading, it varied depending on what mood I was in and what we were studying.

ReputationRep:
    This was my timetable last year. I chould choose my class times, but not lectures (hence Tuesday):

Monday
    09-10: English Class
    10-11: History Lecture
    11-12: History Class

Tuesday
    16-19: Media Lecture

Wednesday
    09-10: Language Lecture
    10-11: Language Class

Thursday
    12-13: English Lecture
    15-16: Media Class

Friday
    DAY OFF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    We have about 15 hours of contact time (Lectures & Seminar Groups) per week, and then we're expected to do at least that much again in non-contact time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    We have about 15 hours of contact time (Lectures & Seminar Groups) per week, and then we're expected to do at least that much again in non-contact time.
    unless you do history, where the lecture theatre janitor spends more time in the history lecture theatre that you do in a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    unless you do history, where the lecture theatre janitor spends more time in the history lecture theatre that you do in a day.
    That made me laugh for quite a while!

ReputationRep:
    at exeter.....sport science first years had about 5 hours a week and psychology had about 7.

i had 16, grrrr

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    How about for engineering? pretty packed i believe.

ReputationRep:
    And what about Fine Art? Does anyone know...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by female_engineer)
    How about for engineering? pretty packed i believe.
    Durham told me about 28hrs for Engineering, although that's with a broad course, and UMIST said about 19hrs for Civil Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I had about 20 hours my first term, and 16 the second (as I chose an option module that was group coursework and based on a module we'd had the previous term so no lectures for it). My housemate who did English Lit had 4 lectures and 2 seminars a week :eek: and didn't spend much time reading either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    In my first year at Notts doing psych I had all of four psychology lectures a week...but I also had two philosophy lectures a week (compulsary subsiduary modules), a three hour lab once every two weeks, a one hour maths workshop once every two weeks and two philosophy seminars once every two weeks.

So about ten hours a week in total.

But we were expected to do a lot of extra reading, and we didn't have time in labs to write our reports, so that was all in our own time too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Durham told me about 28hrs for Engineering, although that's with a broad course, and UMIST said about 19hrs for Civil Engineering.
    yeah i had about that, although i only had about 15 hours of lectures and the rest was made up by compusary labs. But in my final year i had about 10 hours of lectures and insane amounts of labs, they expect you to find stuff out for yourself more i think the further you go through the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    This was my timetable last year. I chould choose my class times, but not lectures (hence Tuesday):

Monday
    09-10: English Class
    10-11: History Lecture
    11-12: History Class

Tuesday
    16-19: Media Lecture

Wednesday
    09-10: Language Lecture
    10-11: Language Class

Thursday
    12-13: English Lecture
    15-16: Media Class

Friday
    DAY OFF

10 HOURS?? thats ridiculous...why do you even bother going to university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    10 HOURS?? thats ridiculous...why do you even bother going to university!
    You don't just learn from lectures. Independent study is just as important.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.