The Student Room Group

BMAT for 2018 Entry Discussion

What is the BMAT?
The BMAT (Biomedical Admissions Test) is a 2 hour examination required for entry to a number of Medical Schools in the United Kingdom, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain and Netherlands as well as a selection of Dentistry and Biomedical Science courses.

When is the BMAT?
The BMAT examination can be taken on one of two dates in 2017. The first date is Saturday 9th September 2017, and is suitable for all BMAT applicants except Oxford applicants. The second BMAT examination date is Thursday 2nd November 2017; this is suitable for all BMAT applicants. Students can choose to take the BMAT examination on either one of these dates at a registered centre/school.

Who has to take the BMAT?

Undergraduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Lancaster University, University of Leeds, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Thammasat University CICM, (Thailand), Mahidol University (Thailand).

Graduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Veterinary Medicine Applicants to: University of Cambridge.

Biomedical Science Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Dentistry Applicants to: University of Leeds, Thammasat University (Thailand), University of Melbourne (Australia)

How to Prepare for the BMAT?
The first and most important step is to consider the BMAT like any other A-Level or GCSE examination, and ignore any mention of the BMAT as 'an examination that cannot be prepared for.' There is a statistically significant correlation between the amount one prepares for the BMAT, and one's BMAT score.

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills) - 35 MCQ, 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving, Data Handling & Critical Thinking

A) Resources - Make use of the abundance of free practice resources available for Section 1. In addition to the Official BMAT Past Papers, Oxford TSA Past Papers provide additional practice for Problem Solving questions whilst OCR Critical Thinking Unit 2 is a very useful practice resource for Critical Thinking Questions.

B) Recognise Pitfalls - In contrast to most A-Level examinations, BMAT Section 1 is full of tricks and trips, intended to misguide students. Fortunately, there are only so-many tricks that the BMAT are able to use. Hence, each time you come across one of these, add it to your 'personal list', to avoid making the same mistake in future practice.

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications) - 27 MCQ, 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics

A) Official Resource Guide - With this being the official resource guide, there really is no better resource for Section 2 preparation. Most students find it best to quickly review the whole guide and highlight any topics which they have not covered at GCSE level for further learning. Bear in mind that whilst Section 2 is supposed to be 'GCSE Level'; the examination can assess topics which you may not have covered until AS and sometimes even A2 due to variation in exam board specifications.

B) Timing - Half the challenge of Section 2 is the limited time; hence, it essential to practice this section under strict timed conditions. Fast mental maths, confident use of fractions and a good background Biology knowledge, will ensure that you have additional time for those challenging Physics and Chemistry calculations.

C) Resources - Once you have completed all official and BMAT specific resources, GCSE Bitesize is of some use, whilst you may wish to also consider practicing GCSE Maths Calculator papers, without a calculator in order to further improve your mental maths.

Section 3 (Written Task) - 1 Essay (Choice of 4), 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

A) Address all parts of the question - Each question normally has three or four parts. Regardless of how good your essay is, if you do not address all parts of the question, your essay will be capped at 3/3.5 as per the Section 3 Official Marking Criteria.

B) Plan - With 30 minutes, and one A4 sheet provided, this section is the least time restricted. Essays which score highest are those which are well structured and address all parts of the question, bringing in additional topical examples and knowledge.

Free BMAT Resources
A) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 1)
B) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 2)
C) Past Paper Worked Solutions
D) Section 1 Practice Questions
E) Section 2 Practice Questions
F) Practice Questions

Books
A) Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test
B) Get into Medical School. 400 BMAT Practice Questions

(adapted from post by rmd141)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Are you suicidal making a BMAT thread this early?
Isn't it a bit early for this? It's still 2016.

I don't think any of us are even thinking about the entrance exams yet.
Whilst I will be taking the BMAT in 2017, I do agree that this is waaaay too early to talk about it. We don't have our predicted grades yet, and don't have our uni choices finalised...
Reply 4
I agree, its far too early to be stressing about BMAT
Just enjoy the stress free moments while you can :smile:
Reply 5
I have some BMAT material i'm trying to get rid of! PM if anyone is interested :smile:
Reply 6
Agree with basically everyone else on this thread, we would never advise our student to start serious BMAT preparation this early! It would actually probably be counterproductive as it would distract from AS, schoolwork etc. For those applying this year, cross that bridge when you get to it :-)

Ashley, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Reply 7
Anyone thinking of taking the BMAT this year (and not applying to Oxford)......I would strongly advise that you take the BMAT in September (rather than November).

It will be a huge advantage to know your BMAT score before selecting your university choices.
Original post by grekoiran
Anyone thinking of taking the BMAT this year (and not applying to Oxford)......I would strongly advise that you take the BMAT in September (rather than November).

It will be a huge advantage to know your BMAT score before selecting your university choices.

Everyone sits it on Nov 2nd. You do it after you've applied to your choices.
Reply 9
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Hey :-) What you say has of course been true in the past but this year BMAT have changed their policy to allow some students to take the exam in September. All unis, (apart from Oxford who only accept the November test) will accept either the Sep or Nov BMAT test.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat-september/about-bmat-september/

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Reply 10
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Two BMAT dates this year......you can choose to do the exam in September (unless applying to Oxford) and receive your results pre-application

- Saturday 9th September 2017 (Exam date 1)
- Thursday 2nd November 2017 (Exam date 2)
Original post by 6med
Hey :-) What you say has of course been true in the past but this year BMAT have changed their policy to allow some students to take the exam in September. All unis, (apart from Oxford who only accept the November test) will accept either the Sep or Nov BMAT test.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat-september/about-bmat-september/

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Ah, wasn't aware of this - cheers
Reply 12
Hi guys, i have 3 BMAT books I am selling if anyone is interested.
Theyre all in very good condition.
I have the 'ultimate BMAT guide 600 practice questions for 2016' entry by Rohan Agarwal, 'BMAT past paper worked solutions' 2017 edition by Rohan Agarwal and 'getting into medical school 400 BMAT practice questions' by ISC medical.

if anyone is interested in these, message me :smile:
Reply 13
Anyone have any BMAT practice books/resources to recommend? Looking for as many as possible, preferably in the style of Question Banks. Thanks in advance!
Reply 14
Original post by Kisuke
Anyone have any BMAT practice books/resources to recommend? Looking for as many as possible, preferably in the style of Question Banks. Thanks in advance!

Hey there :-) Feel free to check out our online question bank BMAT Ninja
https://bmat.ninja/

Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Reply 15
How is the book How to Master the BMAT, Dr. Chistopher See ?
Do I still need to go through Preparing for the BMAT, Heinemann after going through this one thoroughly?
Reply 16
Original post by SwapB
How is the book How to Master the BMAT, Dr. Chistopher See ?
Do I still need to go through Preparing for the BMAT, Heinemann after going through this one thoroughly?

How to Master the BMAT is useful, however there are a number of mistakes and it should be used with caution.

Preparing for the BMAT is relatively brief but it is pretty much the only officially approved preparation guide, and I would use this resource for that reason.
Reply 17
Hi there!

I'm doing the September exam. I just wanted to ask how good of a comparison in terms of difficulty and question type are the TSA papers to the BMAT papers?

Free Essay Marking Service for the BMAT

Dear Medical Students,

My name is Maria and I'm currently studying at UCL. On behalf of Medic Mind, we are running a free essay marking service for the first 50 essays posted on The Student Room. Tag @Medic Mind so we receive a notification!

I scored 5A in my essay, and I will be at hand to help you with your essays. Don't be the one to miss out!

Post your essay on this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4873140#primary_content

Good Luck and all the best!

Best Wishes,
Maria
Medic Mind
(edited 6 years ago)
Is anyone else just seeing that medify's beat grader is still offline. Because of this I haven't started my BMAT prep... anyone know when it will start working or what other resources are as good for BMAT prep.

Btw has anyone else started revising for their BMAT exam?

Latest