The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by judeogbokor
I am just very scared because of the competiuon and low numbers of people getting in. im scared to fail if you understand what i mean. I just feel enough isnt gonna be enough

I think youre worrying about the amount of work experience too much. The universities want you to have an idea of what medicine is like, so you do need to have some experience, but what is more important is how you talk about those experiences at interview. You need to be able to reflect on what you learnt and how these experiences shaped your motivation to do medicine. It sounds like you definitely have more than enough work experience- I only did 3 days shadowing and a few months volunteering fortnightly and have three offers. Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
I am just very scared because of the competiuon and low numbers of people getting in. im scared to fail if you understand what i mean. I just feel enough isnt gonna be enough

Just remember your chances are the same as everybody else's. Every other applicant sits on the can every day and deuces. If you're worried about not being good enough, make that part of you better. I'm far from perfect myself, but for this year's app, I gave the UKCAT a lot more respect and prep than before (near zero). It wasn't loads of prep, but I asked people here for advice, help, subbed to medify etc. and bunged through my weakest sections until they were at least okay. It went a lot better than I expected and at every stage of my app so far, I've been super neurotic and I'm sure I will be until I accept that offer on UCAS and rock up to my first lectures. At which point new neuroses will overcome me.

Enjoy the ride, because it's *probably* worthwhile.
I've already started mine.. do ing mine in early summer so I want enough time to be aiming at a minimum 750 average by then

Early to start revising. Most start 6weeks in advance-I started properly a couple of weeks before, and on/off for a month before that. I got 750+ average so yeah focus on your current exams in May and not UKCAT now
Just focus on doing your best as thats what you can control

You can't control whether that will be enough or not
Reply 3884
Thanks guys 👏🏿👏🏿...I will take all of these on board
GUYS PLEASE HELP!!

I am currently preparing for my UKCAT, which I'm sitting in 2 weeks. It's been about a week since I've started my prep and I am finding Quantitative Reasoning and Decision Making really hard and challenging...QR is the section I struggle the most on. I have purchased the Kaplan UKCAT 1500 Questions book and I am using The Medic Portal UKCAT Bank Questions at the moment. I am also planning on taking a one week course on medify before my test.

I am finding QR super hard!!! I got an A at A-level maths and really enjoy maths in general but I really can't seem to be able to answer the QR questions correctly. The pressured time doesn't help too. Most... the great majority of online questions I did on the Medic Portal on QR and DM I got wrong and I spent toooooo long on.

I am really frustrated and panicky that I will do very poorly on my test on test day.

Please any advices on how to tackle QR and DM as well as the other sections will be super appreciated!!!!!!!
Original post by seph_muriel
GUYS PLEASE HELP!!

I am currently preparing for my UKCAT, which I'm sitting in 2 weeks. It's been about a week since I've started my prep and I am finding Quantitative Reasoning and Decision Making really hard and challenging...QR is the section I struggle the most on. I have purchased the Kaplan UKCAT 1500 Questions book and I am using The Medic Portal UKCAT Bank Questions at the moment. I am also planning on taking a one week course on medify before my test.

I am finding QR super hard!!! I got an A at A-level maths and really enjoy maths in general but I really can't seem to be able to answer the QR questions correctly. The pressured time doesn't help too. Most... the great majority of online questions I did on the Medic Portal on QR and DM I got wrong and I spent toooooo long on.

I am really frustrated and panicky that I will do very poorly on my test on test day.

Please any advices on how to tackle QR and DM as well as the other sections will be super appreciated!!!!!!!

Hey there! First of all don't panic. Secondly, I think you should try purchasing medify for 2 weeks so that you have a significant amount of practice time along with resources. Instead of long sessions try doing QR and DM for an hour and two with breaks. Try your best not to stress my doing something you like in your free time. Lastly, Remember that everyone giving the test is in a similar position to you so don't worry. Anyways, Best of luck!
Original post by Pradipta
Hey there! First of all don't panic. Secondly, I think you should try purchasing medify for 2 weeks so that you have a significant amount of practice time along with resources. Instead of long sessions try doing QR and DM for an hour and two with breaks. Try your best not to stress my doing something you like in your free time. Lastly, Remember that everyone giving the test is in a similar position to you so don't worry. Anyways, Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the advices!!! Trying not to panic will be a challenge but I shall try! I'll take on board everything you said! Thanks again!!!

Ps: many people say that the QR session is easier on the real test than on the online tests, is that true?
Thank you so much for the advices!!! Trying not to panic will be a challenge but I shall try! I'll take on board everything you said! Thanks again!!!

Ps: many people say that the QR session is easier on the real test than on the online tests, is that true?

Yup that's usually the case.
Hi I’ve got my UKCAT test next week and i’m having a freak out with my scores at the moment. I’ve been practising for a few weeks already but haven’t been fully going for it untill the past 2. I’m putting in a lot of practise on medify doing all the time limited questions and mini mocks, but i can not seem to get my scores above 50% really. I’m finding it very difficult in verbal reasoning especially to complete it in time? I usually have to guess 6 or 7 at the end, and that is obviously bringing my scores down.
Wondering if any past students have advice or technique that really helped them.
And also if people tend to reach this point where it starts to go a lot worse? (Hopefully before it gets a lot better??) As it seems recently i’ve been getting worse and worse at them?
Thank you!!
Hi guys
Just wondering if the QR questions on medify are representative of the real ukcat test? I’ve been doing okay on medifys QR section, but just taken a mock test from the actual ukcat site, and completely flopped the QR section as i found it just insanely difficult?!
Has anyone else found this? Or is the real thing way more difficult than medifys questions
Thank you!!!
Does anybody recommend kaplan 4 day obline course
Original post by anna2811
Hi guys
Just wondering if the QR questions on medify are representative of the real ukcat test

Yes.
Original post by Nautic4l
Yes.

Thank you!
Ukcat
For the DM section, how does the partially correct marking works? Let's say you do 20 questions on Medify and get 7 correct, 7 partially correct and 6 wrong, do you count the partially correct marks as 1 or 0?
Reply 3896
For the DM section, how does the partially correct marking works? Let's say you do 20 questions on Medify and get 7 correct, 7 partially correct and 6 wrong, do you count the partially correct marks as 1 or 0?

You’d get 2 for correct, 1 for partially, and 0 for wrong. If there are more than 3 options they may have different mark distribution depending on ‘how right’ they are.
Original post by ax12
You’d get 2 for correct, 1 for partially, and 0 for wrong. If there are more than 3 options they may have different mark distribution depending on ‘how right’ they are.

Thank you so much! I really want a score of 700+ on DM . How many questions out of 29 do you reckon I should get right (partially correct questions included) to achieve that score?
Also, any tips on how to score well on DM and the other sections?
How many marks out of 69 do you need to get to score a band 1 or 2 or 3 or 4?

I did a mock on medify and got a band 2:
39/69 = correct
21/69 = partially correct
9/69 = incorrect

But then I did another mock on medify and got a band 3:
40/69 = correct
16/69 = partially correct
13/69 = incorrect

The first mock I did I got 48/69 and that was a band 1.

Do they take into account the number of incorrect answers more than the number of correct ones? I'm a bit confused.
Hi, guys wanted to make this thread so that anyone who has taken their ukcat 2018 already can help out others by sharing their experiences, results and what resources they think helped them the most!!!

Lets help each other :smile: x

Latest

Trending

Trending