The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How is everyone revising ?
Original post by Joanne86
Are they the only ones that do it? I've not signed up and my test is on Thursday. Eek! :frown:

You could just sign up for a week? It's quick and easy to do so. I'm not sure about other resources other than the ones mentioned in this thread. 😊 Good Luck with your test.
Lets go!
The official line is 'you can't prepare for the UKCAT' and the more I learn the more I think it may be true. I took it a few years back with literally zero preparation and got 700. This year I prepared for 60-100 hours and got a 760. Likely close enough to be explained by test day variance and several more years of reading / doing maths / working. Several people on here have psyched themselves out with too much prep and have done better on their first cold mock than on the real thing! If there was a great prep resource that adequately mirrored the format and difficulty of the real thing I may reconsider.
How does everyone think the new decision making section will affect the overall average score for the cohort???
Original post by Marlon18
How does everyone think the new decision making section will affect the overall average score for the cohort???

I definitely think it will lower it. First, it is difficult. Second, prep companies haven't got it quite right yet.
Original post by banker22
I definitely think it will lower it. First, it is difficult. Second, prep companies haven't got it quite right yet.

And there is a third reason.YOu are marked in relation to peers. Some sections were benchamrked several years ago and since then the average has risen. So for example if the performance of an average candidate was scored as 600 in 2006 for QR then it is probably 630 this year. However the DM will be benchmarked on last year with the average being 600. So scores for DM will be lower simply because of that
Original post by UKCATrocks
And there is a third reason.YOu are marked in relation to peers. Some sections were benchamrked several years ago and since then the average has risen. So for example if the performance of an average candidate was scored as 600 in 2006 for QR then it is probably 630 this year. However the DM will be benchmarked on last year with the average being 600. So scores for DM will be lower simply because of that

True. And I can't imagine they got a good benchmark last year as I'm sure a lot of people just clicked through the section rather than taking it seriously.
True. And I can't imagine they got a good benchmark last year as I'm sure a lot of people just clicked through the section rather than taking it seriously.

How did you find DM compared to the practice mocks? Im using Medify for Qs and Medic Mind for Theory
The official line is 'you can't prepare for the UKCAT' and the more I learn the more I think it may be true. I took it a few years back with literally zero preparation and got 700. This year I prepared for 60-100 hours and got a 760. Likely close enough to be explained by test day variance and several more years of reading / doing maths / working. Several people on here have psyched themselves out with too much prep and have done better on their first cold mock than on the real thing! If there was a great prep resource that adequately mirrored the format and difficulty of the real thing I may reconsider.

I agree to with you to an extent but I still feel a certain amount of hours are needed to reach your maximum. I also sat the exam last year where there was 1 less section and found that i was underprepared because my mates told me i would burn out if i revised too much. I think this is also true but the more you practice the more familiar you are with the techniques required, you learn shortcuts along the way and more importantly your confidence rises.
Original post by Khushal29
I agree to with you to an extent but I still feel a certain amount of hours are needed to reach your maximum. I also sat the exam last year where there was 1 less section and found that i was underprepared because my mates told me i would burn out if i revised too much. I think this is also true but the more you practice the more familiar you are with the techniques required, you learn shortcuts along the way and more importantly your confidence rises.

I think this is part of the problem. Your confidence rises with practice but then you start the real thing and it's SO different that your confidence is shattered, leaving you worse off than if you hadn't practiced at all!
Original post by Khushal29
How did you find DM compared to the practice mocks? Im using Medify for Qs and Medic Mind for Theory

Medify was not great for DM. The timing and scoring is way off, as is the composition of the questions.
Medify was not great for DM. The timing and scoring is way off, as is the composition of the questions.

Hey, what do you mean by the timing was off? I understand that there are more syllogism questions, but could you elaborate on the timing?

Thanks!
Original post by PkT1991
Hey, what do you mean by the timing was off? I understand that there are more syllogism questions, but could you elaborate on the timing?

Thanks!

Believe they give both a point and a full time allotment for each part of the five part questions, inflating the score and reducing time pressure.
Correct me if I'm wrong ,on Medify for VR, they give 5 questions per passage which is one more than the real thing. Is this a good way to train yourself to get within the time limit ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Benzeneiscool123
Guys I've got the ISC book, KAPLAN book and went on the 6med course last year but I have to say Medic Mind seem to be on the money with their theory from what I've seen from the e-books. I've also booked their mentoring program thing for next week will let you guys know how it is!

Gotta agree with you mate, their e-books are quality. I've actually gone and booked the UKCAT 2 day course, heard good things from a friend of mine who did the program
i'm taking mine in a week (i'm so nervous!) and i took it early because i thought you could resit it and use the higher score in your application but looking around on the internet am i wrong about that?
Original post by lejefadetumadre
i'm taking mine in a week (i'm so nervous!) and i took it early because i thought you could resit it and use the higher score in your application but looking around on the internet am i wrong about that?

You can only sit it once a year. 😐
Original post by Benzeneiscool123
Guys I've got the ISC book, KAPLAN book and went on the 6med course last year but I have to say Medic Mind seem to be on the money with their theory from what I've seen from the e-books. I've also booked their mentoring program thing for next week will let you guys know how it is!

Glad to have helped, and we look forward to helping you on your journey towards Medical school as you become a Medic Mind mentee.

Does anyone have any questions I can help them with today? I'll gladly be of assistance :smile:

Mohil
UCL Y4 Medic
medicmind.co.uk/ukcat
Original post by lejefadetumadre

One sitting per cycle I'm afraid. How did you do?

Latest