orla o connell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,
I started radiology in September. At the moment I feel as if I've just been drifting along and being indecisive. Throughout summer I saved all my money in the hope I'd be accepted. For the 3 months I've been here I don't feel settled. I'm verbally shy but I have became close with a few of my flat mates. I wake up every morning and think why I'm I here. I'm a plane journey away from home, I've went home once and my boyfriend has been over twice. I debate with myself the great opportunity there is from radiography but I've been unable to focus. I know I can do it! I just need to get rid of worry and stress. I've talked to my parents and they say its my decision to make. I don't know if I'm acting this way because I'm scared of failing or its a way to prevent me from doing work. I feel as if I've been here before... During GCSE English my parents pushed me to overcome my negative thinking. At As and Alevels i was a top achiever balancing work, school and my boy friend. Now I'm here, I'm just alone, I'm behind in most aspects of work and general living. I want to learn how to become more content and find some sense of enjoyment.
Any suggestions would be greatly accepted. Thank you.
Kiritsugu
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by orla o connell)
Hi there,
I started radiology in September. At the moment I feel as if I've just been drifting along and being indecisive. Throughout summer I saved all my money in the hope I'd be accepted. For the 3 months I've been here I don't feel settled. I'm verbally shy but I have became close with a few of my flat mates. I wake up every morning and think why I'm I here. I'm a plane journey away from home, I've went home once and my boyfriend has been over twice. I debate with myself the great opportunity there is from radiography but I've been unable to focus. I know I can do it! I just need to get rid of worry and stress. I've talked to my parents and they say its my decision to make. I don't know if I'm acting this way because I'm scared of failing or its a way to prevent me from doing work. I feel as if I've been here before... During GCSE English my parents pushed me to overcome my negative thinking. At As and Alevels i was a top achiever balancing work, school and my boy friend. Now I'm here, I'm just alone, I'm behind in most aspects of work and general living. I want to learn how to become more content and find some sense of enjoyment.
Any suggestions would be greatly accepted. Thank you.
Yo. Do you need things to keep yourself busy like a boyfriend, work etc.? Do you feel lonely? Why did you a pick a course you are not 100% dedicated to? Do you think you're just feeling a little out of place and you'll grow out of it?
orla o connell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiritsugu)
Yo. Do you need things to keep yourself busy like a boyfriend, work etc.? Do you feel lonely? Why did you a pick a course you are not 100% dedicated to? Do you think you're just feeling a little out of place and you'll grow out of it?
I think keeping busy is the best thing for me, once I overthink all productivity goes out the window. I feel alone, even when I'm with people I find it difficult to find common interests. It was a competitive course, that was fully funded and guaranteed a job at the end. I convince myself I can change my train of thought, but it a cycle that starts the next day. Tonight I'm slightly better than previous nights where I finish at 5 come home and lye in bed crying.
elliehb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
have you looked at your universities clubs and societies to see if there's anything that intreasts you? It may help if you have something fun to do outside of work
orla o connell
Rep:
?
(Original post by elliehb)
have you looked at your universities clubs and societies to see if there's anything that intreasts you? It may help if you have something fun to do outside of work
I've considered starting swimming. the societies aren't ideal with the course as It's 9-5. Thanks for your reply
elliehb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by orla o connell)
I've considered starting swimming. the societies aren't ideal with the course as It's 9-5. Thanks for your reply
Ahh thats a shame :-(. Certainly at my uni, quite a lot of the societies run in the evening or at weekends, for example I go horseriding on a Monday evening and its perfectly manageable even though I finish at 4. I find that doing something I enjoy really helps to take my mind of studying and helps me to relax. Look into societies a bit more and find out what time they meet, and even if they do meet when you can't get there you havent lost anything by looking.
orla o connell
Rep:
?
(Original post by elliehb)
Ahh thats a shame :-(. Certainly at my uni, quite a lot of the societies run in the evening or at weekends, for example I go horseriding on a Monday evening and its perfectly manageable even though I finish at 4. I find that doing something I enjoy really helps to take my mind of studying and helps me to relax. Look into societies a bit more and find out what time they meet, and even if they do meet when you can't get there you havent lost anything by looking.
It's true, there's always away around things! I feel i just need to start acting instead of talking about what ill do and never end up doing it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (33)
19.19%
Labour (69)
40.12%
Liberal Democrats (35)
20.35%
Green Party (7)
4.07%
Brexit Party (4)
2.33%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
2.33%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.33%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)