The Student Room Group

Work over summer?

Hello, I'm currently 1st year of a computing degree ( forensics computing and security) and I'm thinking about working during the summer, but I don't know what to pick, where to go and what to do.

I've been thinking of summer camps especially the ones in America, but most of them would require a fee up to 500$ before getting there and of course they are paying you afterwards, but the fee is split in parts and you have to pay some parts even before knowing if you get accepted..also not all of them have flights included.. I don't know, seems so difficult to get it all done and maybe too much money spent until it actually starts?

There are also internships in uk or abroad, but most companies would require for you to be in the 3rd year ( for those who have 4years course) to be able to apply for internships. Are there internships for the summer between 1st year and 2nd year?

I would also consider a part-time job or a full time job for 3 months that are not relevant, but even for that I have no idea where Im gonna live for starters and then if that work wont just be a waste of a summer?

( ps: I'm a foreign student in UK, so once uni is over I don't have a place to stay, but got my national insurance number and have the right to work)

Honestly, I don't know what students do during summer, I don't wanna just go back to my home country cause that will be counterproductive and I don't have money to go travel or have fun.

Ok, what "skills" I got ?

- I can build and/or design websites checking pretty much any requirements, I did it in the past and I currently do it ( some are paid some are not but it's not an income I can rely on ) so I would have a few examples to show - maybe even a portfolio. ( using html4 and 5,php, style with simple css3 or using bootstrap, mysql, a bit of js)

- I can code in java,c++ and python ( I don't have any real world experience, I only used those languages to solve college/uni problems like math-related or build simple concepts/ideas for console except for a battleship game I did in python, but wasn't 2fancy in terms of graphics)

- I can speak english, turkish and romanian.

- I enjoy and I am good at teaching others ( I've tutored a few people on programming ) and I also love kids, I could totally both teach them and play with them, haha

-I've had some experience as an online live chat customer support and I would enjoy doing that, I like helping people and I seem to be able to simplify things for them - or so I've been told

-I'm into photography, photoshop, films, acting...would definitely love to work in that area, got a dslr myself just no money, actors and generally..anything else to do movies for festivals or anything more serious

- food enthusiastic? love to cook, not sure that helps though

- technology and artificial intelligence enthusiastic? oh cmon, I was just saying

- interested in people as well ! now ain't that just putting up every useless thing that comes through your mind ? ...

I would be fine with a bossy position like management as well, leadership ain't a minus for me.I can get people to work and make it pleasant ~ being a leader during all those group projects helped, but made me being a bit bossy at times

Also, not lastly, like to write ...like blogs and short stories, I currently blog but that is also not an income I can rely on(talking about the one Im currently getting not blogging in general)

All in all, what do I do with my useless skills?
What should I do with my summer?
Original post by reachmore
Hello, I'm currently 1st year of a computing degree ( forensics computing and security) and I'm thinking about working during the summer, but I don't know what to pick, where to go and what to do.

I've been thinking of summer camps especially the ones in America, but most of them would require a fee up to 500$ before getting there and of course they are paying you afterwards, but the fee is split in parts and you have to pay some parts even before knowing if you get accepted..also not all of them have flights included.. I don't know, seems so difficult to get it all done and maybe too much money spent until it actually starts?

There are also internships in uk or abroad, but most companies would require for you to be in the 3rd year ( for those who have 4years course) to be able to apply for internships. Are there internships for the summer between 1st year and 2nd year?

I would also consider a part-time job or a full time job for 3 months that are not relevant, but even for that I have no idea where Im gonna live for starters and then if that work wont just be a waste of a summer?

( ps: I'm a foreign student in UK, so once uni is over I don't have a place to stay, but got my national insurance number and have the right to work)

Honestly, I don't know what students do during summer, I don't wanna just go back to my home country cause that will be counterproductive and I don't have money to go travel or have fun.

Ok, what "skills" I got ?

- I can build and/or design websites checking pretty much any requirements, I did it in the past and I currently do it ( some are paid some are not but it's not an income I can rely on ) so I would have a few examples to show - maybe even a portfolio. ( using html4 and 5,php, style with simple css3 or using bootstrap, mysql, a bit of js)

- I can code in java,c++ and python ( I don't have any real world experience, I only used those languages to solve college/uni problems like math-related or build simple concepts/ideas for console except for a battleship game I did in python, but wasn't 2fancy in terms of graphics)

- I can speak english, turkish and romanian.

- I enjoy and I am good at teaching others ( I've tutored a few people on programming ) and I also love kids, I could totally both teach them and play with them, haha

-I've had some experience as an online live chat customer support and I would enjoy doing that, I like helping people and I seem to be able to simplify things for them - or so I've been told

-I'm into photography, photoshop, films, acting...would definitely love to work in that area, got a dslr myself just no money, actors and generally..anything else to do movies for festivals or anything more serious

- food enthusiastic? love to cook, not sure that helps though

- technology and artificial intelligence enthusiastic? oh cmon, I was just saying

- interested in people as well ! now ain't that just putting up every useless thing that comes through your mind ? ...

I would be fine with a bossy position like management as well, leadership ain't a minus for me.I can get people to work and make it pleasant ~ being a leader during all those group projects helped, but made me being a bit bossy at times

Also, not lastly, like to write ...like blogs and short stories, I currently blog but that is also not an income I can rely on(talking about the one Im currently getting not blogging in general)

All in all, what do I do with my useless skills?
What should I do with my summer?

One thing to consider is setting up your own online business/website to get some income. Or you could get a short term contract job, a good place to start looking is here
https://www.technojobs.co.uk/software-developer-contract-jobs

Or if you want to go for a summer camp, and not be concerned with accommodation, choose a good one where you don't have to commit (much) money first. If you're good enough you will get it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending