The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Creative Computing BSc (previously known as MATs)

Hey guys,

I am on a gap year at the moment - part time job.

I did do Computer Science for a couple of weeks in September but it really wasn't my cup of tea and I realised then that I made a mistake in Year 13 of choosing this course to do for 4 years. So now my plans have changed - I am going to reapply to Creative Computing at Queen Mary (and couple others that offer this course) but I am still looking for good apprenticeships with big companies to do in 2017. If I get a wicked apprenticeship with a good company then good but I am still going to apply to uni for September 2017.

I just wanted to know what to include in a personal statement for this course - I still have my old PS for the previous Computer Science course I did. If anyone could give me tips on that (anyone who did it last year), I would appreciate it.

And to make sure I am not making the same mistake - I have read over the course info and it doesn't seem as mathy and tricky as the plain old CS course. But I still want to get views from people who have actually done the Creative Computing course to comment and tell me what it's really like (e.g. is it just CS with a bit of arts on the side?)

I have unfortunately missed those open days for this course - obviously because they occurred was ages ago and at that time, I was sticking to Computer Science and I had already got all my offers for that course.

Thank-you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm do MAT at QMUL.
Currently, the amount of people doing this course is very small (about 5-8 people) in each year. This isn't necesarily a bad thing because you know everyone else on the course and it is very easy to get help. However, I imagine since they're changing the name is creative computing, more people will take it in the next years to come.
I also applied for computer science before this, however I'll be honest with you, I just used the exact same personal statement. It was a ps tailored towards the mathsy and computer sciency side, but it still applied to this wonderful course. There is still programming, but it is made much easier to learn as it's done with visual demonstrations and it's definietely not as intense as a pure computer science course. In the second year, if you do not like computer science, you can go down a more technological route or a design route (with 3D objects).
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Ohmydog
Hi, I'm do MAT at QMUL.
Currently, the amount of people doing this course is very small (about 5-8 people) in each year. This isn't necesarily a bad thing because you know everyone else on the course and it is very easy to get help. However, I imagine since they're changing the name is creative computing, more people will take it in the next years to come.
I also applied for computer science before this, however I'll be honest with you, I just used the exact same personal statement. It was a ps tailored towards the mathsy and computer sciency side, but it still applied to this wonderful course. There is still programming, but it is made much easier to learn as it's done with visual demonstrations and it's definietely not as intense as a pure computer science course. In the second year, if you do not like computer science, you can go down a more technological route or a design route (with 3D objects).

Hi there!
So how are you finding this year?

Thank-you so much for the reply. I didn't think anyone would reply this fast. Wow that's really tiny! But it's good in a way - my last CS course had WAYY to many people and it was so hard to get help in lectures and tutorials. So do you know how many people were taken this September just gone?

Also would you be able to tell me if you have an open day soon before summer?

My personal statement is like yours - I spoke a lot about my ICT course, why I love technology. I am gonna add a bit of my creative stuff - I have a passion for media, film and graphic design (digital media) so this would be a good thing to add. Obviously I'll check the character count and make sure I'm not just blabbing.

Thanks again!!
Reply 3
Personally, so far I'm finding this year, course and Uni to be amazing!
I did maths with comp sci at a different University as well and hated it which caused me drop out, I was really uhappy. Now, I am this University, the lecturers/other students are so kind and helpful and for a long time I couldn't imagine ever going back to Uni after my first experience, but now I'm so glad I did.

I'm a first year btw, so I don't really know too much about open days yet, but I think you get invited to a special computer science only open day during March, I think? That's when I went for mine. And in our first year, there ar exactly 6 people; we are all good friends and help eachother out :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ohmydog
Personally, so far I'm finding this year, course and Uni to be amazing!
I did maths with comp sci at a different University as well and hated it which caused me drop out, I was really uhappy. Now, I am this University, the lecturers/other students are so kind and helpful and for a long time I couldn't imagine ever going back to Uni after my first experience, but now I'm so glad I did.

I'm a first year btw, so I don't really know too much about open days yet, but I think you get invited to a special computer science only open day during March, I think? That's when I went for mine. And in our first year, there ar exactly 6 people; we are all good friends and help eachother out :smile:

Hello!

Oh really? I was worried I wouldn't have that in common with anybody - I am glad because before I just felt like a failure dropping out and nobody understood my reasons. If you have a bad degree then there's no point in doing it for 3 years.

Oh 6 people?! Wow! I still need to send off my UCAS application. So I'm pretty sure they are going to give me an offer holder day... If I get the offer :smile:

I really hope the classes stay small and good next year - would be really convenient for everyone.

Thanks for the help.
Reply 5
I'm interested in this course too. Would a portfolio be required?
Reply 6
Original post by julychar
I'm interested in this course too. Would a portfolio be required?

You don't
Reply 7
Quick question for Ohmydog. So what is the best thing about the 1st year in this course so far and how did you find the teaching for programming?
Reply 8
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Quick question for Ohmydog. So what is the best thing about the 1st year in this course so far and how did you find the teaching for programming?

Personally, I find the programming module to be the most enjoyable, the teaching is excellent, because it is taught in a small classroom just like in school and people can ask questions easily. The labs are also great, because the demonstrators are more than willing to help you out even with the most stupidest problems.
The MAT students share a lot of modules with the DICE Students (Design Innovation Creative Engineering) and pretty much everyone has no prior programming experience including myself, so it's nice to start on the same level with no one judging you (I had that problem before, where I felt nervous being around students with A LOT of programming experience).

Although I find programming to be the best module, a lot of people I know I have their preferences in other modules. Some really like the Design Studio module where we learn to use the workshop and create 3D objects. I'm not so good at that module, but it's still a lot of fun.

There's another module that is said to be the 'easy marks' module. In it you get to create a video as a group (all the EECS student do this).
Reply 9
Original post by Ohmydog

Wow that's awesome - I am so glad because at the previous uni I went to, I felt like the odd one out and the class was too big and it was hard to get to the lecturer. The teaching was rushed :/ A friend had told me (who also goes to one of the London universities) that the research for her uni is good but the teaching is crap - they have good knowledge but they are useless are conveying it well.

I love filmmaking - I can't wait for that bit.

All I have ever wanted is to get creative but at the same time learn technical bits - I couldn't believe that they do this course... I am so happy to have found it!
Reply 10
Hey there.

I am filling out my UCAS Application and I have already got my Computer Science personal statement - I have written a lot about my love for technology and how this ties in well with my love for creativity --> I have researched how this course teaches you how to do the technical side of this degree by being creative through sound, 3d animation, filmmaking, story-telling etc. so should my personal statement stay the same?

I will add a couple lines about my gap year - I have deleted some irrelevant bits that has no connection to the Creative Computing course so I have some lines to write about how I spent my gap year developing skills through work etc.

Is this OK to do?
Reply 11
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Hey there.

I am filling out my UCAS Application and I have already got my Computer Science personal statement - I have written a lot about my love for technology and how this ties in well with my love for creativity --> I have researched how this course teaches you how to do the technical side of this degree by being creative through sound, 3d animation, filmmaking, story-telling etc. so should my personal statement stay the same?

I will add a couple lines about my gap year - I have deleted some irrelevant bits that has no connection to the Creative Computing course so I have some lines to write about how I spent my gap year developing skills through work etc.

Is this OK to do?

You're right in saying how this course relates closely to the technical side of creativity and since you seem to have written a lot about your love for technology, it already seems like it's tailored perfectly for this course. My personal statement was actually a bit more general with computer science since I applied for many courses at the time though.
Reply 12
Ok thank-you for the advice.
Oh right - I only applied for straight computer science ones :/
Now I know what I want. Thanks!!!!
Just waiting for my scholl references.
Original post by Ohmydog
Hi, I'm do MAT at QMUL.

Hi, I've got a question.

Can I enter the course if I study game design?
From a current CC student;I looked at this thread 2 years when I had applied, and it was hard to find feedback on Creative Computing as its a small cohort. 2 Years in, and I'm hoping to update this thread a little. I think If you're currently interested in technology/Design/User experience this is the course for you. The keyword for CC is interdisciplinarity, all students come with a different background, some art, some game design, some sound design, computer science etc. In the first and parts of the second year, we have the majority of our modules with the Design Engineering students, making us a cohort where if you're struggling with anything you will meet someone who is good at it, and you get to help others as well. We're usually a small group (18 students freshers 2020) and we're really well taken care of by our professors. In second year you get to pick a path between design, software engineering, film and geography, giving you the opportunity to essentially customize your own degree to specialize within what you want. We have had students that have decided the design perspective wasn't for them, and became java developers, or decided coding wasn't for them and gone on to work in product development or UI. There's a demand in the industry for creative tech individuals, so you'll be well set with this degree and the way you learn to think user-centered. Some projects I've had in my modules:Created a side scroller web game (animation, coding, group work, game mapping and planning, sound design)A physical battleship game using LED lights, buttons, sensors (Arduino, soldering, breadboard, user experience)Created a weather app with computer science students (Group work, UX/UI, coding in react)My own portfolio Website(HTML, javascript, css, PHP)Soundscapes (Using logic pro X, or coded in processing)I've really enjoyed my time in CC, I hope more people will apply, its just a really fun degree. Good Luck !:smile:
Hey Im actually looking to apply to CC for next year at QMUL. Any personal statement advice? The only experience with coding I have is web dev
Reply 16
Original post by Subz3r0o0
Hey Im actually looking to apply to CC for next year at QMUL. Any personal statement advice? The only experience with coding I have is web devAr

Are you still considering to apply?
Original post by Dmin747
Are you still considering to apply?

im applying there for 2022 aaaah
I'd like to apply for 2023 but it doesn't seem like QMUL is still offering the course.
Hey, so I'm hoping to apply for Bsc hons in creative computing. I'm assuming its the same course that people have talked about in this thread. I'm from non tech bg and so have little to no idea what awaits me. But i do love technology and computers. Is this degree worth it? Also, what is the market value of this degree as compared to Btech. Last qn, is Bathspa a good university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending