Turn on thread page Beta

Uni for Physics/Astronomy- Durham/Bristol/Warwick/Edinburgh/St Andrew's/Other? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I'm not going to state that the uni's listed are my opinion as they are not. When I listed the uni's I took into no account whether I applied there, why I didn't etc etc. As I stated, my small list comes from my knowledge of what Uni's are regarded well OVERALL for their Physics Reputation, not necessarily their teaching quality. I've also included one's well known for their more practical aspects - Bath for example, as well as those who focus more on the maths element - Oxford & Warwick.
    I don't know why you get to decide which unis are "regarded well OVERALL " for physics, you've produced no evidence to support the list otherwise....
    And you know perfectly well that the Newspaper links I presented to you don't base their rankings solely on teaching quality.
    And btw, I see your point about including certain unis because of certain elements special to their physics course (v good idea)...but perhaps you should have stated that in the list?
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    These are Uni's that have been in the top of a variety of league tables over the last few years and have been fairl consistent. They are also ones that have been recommended by previous Physics students, teachers and career advisers.
    evidence? ive already linked a couple disproving that they are all high up in various league tables.
    And I wouldnt always go trusting all teachers/students/career advisors...alot tend to recommend particular univs for personal reasons or for the general rep of the place.
    I stand by my statement and refuse to declare the list as "MY OPINION OF THE BEST PHYSICS UNI'S" because they aren't my opinion! They are a generalised list covering some of the well known Uni's for Physics that score highly for teaching quality, research, facilities, future employment etc CONSISTENTLY!
    As I have shown before, no they do not seem to all consistenly perform extremely well. It is and will always remain impossible for one student to just randomly combine the rankings and scores of the univs in their mind and then present them as a completely viable list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I don't know why you get to decide which unis are "regarded well OVERALL " for physics, you've produced no evidence to support the list otherwise....
    And you know perfectly well that the Newspaper links I presented to you don't base their rankings solely on teaching quality.
    And btw, I see your point about including certain unis because of certain elements special to their physics course (v good idea)...but perhaps you should have stated that in the list?
    To be fair there is an important point here. The question is, why are you going to university. Surely the reason behind it is ultimately to get a better job (obviously there's a few side-issues about enjoying yourself etc in between). What degree is likely to get you a better job? Well that obviously depends on what sort of job you're after but, on the whole, employers will want someone with a 'good' (i.e. 2:1 or above) degree in a related subject from a 'quality' university. What is a 'quality' university. Well the best way to decide that is to look at whatever league tables were relevant during an applicants time at a university, but you're not going to get many employers doing that. The majority of employers will have no idea if Bath or Bristol were better for Astrophysics between 2000-2004 (maybe employers who have an active interest in that particular subject might, but the general ones won't) - they will make a decision based on their own pre-conceptions, experiences, hunches and the general reputation of the place. This may or may not correlate with a department's real national standing. Hoofbeat's produced a list that she would draw up in the same way as an employer would - in that regard it deserves consideration, assuming (and its a big assumption) her pre-conceptions are the same as many people, then many employers would draw up a similar list.

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't wash I'm afraid....the grades of Alevel candidates are getting better and better, the proportion of people in the top 15 unis and many below that clutching a number of 'A' grades is increasing quite swiftly. What you have suggested above implies that any of the univs in the top 15 can be assumed to be excellent at physics, which is not neccessarily the case.
    Of course it has also often been highlighted on this board that A-levels merely represent the supply and demand of the subject in question-I myself dont totally agree with this point though.
    Additionally, the univs themselves may be well regarded (and I indicated they were by stating that they all had "a good general reputation"), but I have already shown that for physics they might not all be.
    So you are saying that uni's where the average number of UCAS points for the entrants is not indication to how good the uni is? The number of people with top grades wanting to do physics are declining hence when you do find a uni where for their average entrants UCAS's points are high I think its pretty safe to assume that Uni is pretty good for physics. After all all those bright people didnt choose to go there for no reason.
    I wonder if you actually read my originally post thoroughly rather than perhaps browsing it, since I did state there which univs IMO were good at said subject, out of Hoofbeat's list.
    However if I feel something is not quite correct, I will point it out. Whether it causes and argument isn't that important and infact I'm all for a good debate!
    good to hear that, however you failed to mention the other uni's that were not on her list and since you have just criticed hoofbeat for lack of evidence I am going to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying that uni's where the average number of UCAS points for the entrants is not indication to how good the uni is? The number of people with top grades wanting to do physics are declining hence when you do find a uni where for their average entrants UCAS's points are high I think its pretty safe to assume that Uni is pretty good for physics. After all all those bright people didnt choose to go there for no reason.
    Did I say that the number of average ucas points is not indicative of a good uni? No I did not, quit trying to twist it so that you actually have something useful to say. There is a difference between general reputation, and which unis are specifically good for physics .
    Btw, I think I'd better point something out to you, can't believe you haven't realised this. Even if a univ has high average UCAS points, this shows that the average student at the university as a whole is of a high calibre, it does not say anything about the physics department and how good it is. Infact it's possible that the physics department might even be the one that is lowering the overall average ucas points of the univ.

good to hear that, however you failed to mention the other uni's that were not on her list and since you have just criticed hoofbeat for lack of evidence I am going to do the same.
    You're just repeating what I said. At least say something new...
    I quote
    (Original post by bosslady)
    ....since I did state there which univs IMO were good at said subject, out of Hoofbeat's list.
    Hence I chose univs out of Hoofbeat's original list only.
    Btw...evidence...see the Times and the Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    Did I say that the number of average ucas points is not indicative of a good uni? No I did not, quit trying to twist it so that you actually have somethign useful to say. There is a difference between general reputation, and a which unis are specifically good for physics .
    you didnt but i did:
    (Original post by incomplete)
    the fact the the a-level grades of candidates going to these places are more than enough justification for her claims.
    you then seemed to disagree with this, i am sorry if you do not feel i phrased this well but that is what i meant.
    Btw, I think I'd better point something out to you, can't believe you haven't realised this. Even if a univ has high average UCAS points, this shows that the average student at the university as a whole is of a high calibre, it does not say anything about the physics department and how good it is. Infact it's possible that the physics department might even be the one that is lowering the overall average ucas points of the univ.
    you get the average entry grades of the physics dept :rolleyes:
    You're just repeating what I said. At least say something new...
    I quote
    Hence I quoted that I chose univs out of Hoofbeat's original list only.
    Btw...evidence...see the Times and the Guardian.
    Yes I realise that and I am wondering which other uni's you regard as good for physics that did not appear there?

ReputationRep:
    you didnt but i did:
    you then seemed to disagree with this, i am sorry if you do not feel i phrased this well but that is what i meant.
    I already told you why average ucas points for the university as a whole doesn;t tell you a great deal about their physics department. That's not to say that the place doesn't have a good general rep of cours,e it is very likely to have a great one.
    See below:

(Original post by bosslady)
    There is a difference between general reputation, and which unis are specifically good for physics .

you get the average entry grades of the physics dept :rolleyes:
    Well done Watson, you are learning well :rolleyes:

Yes I realise that and I am wondering which other uni's you regard as good for physics that did not appear there?
    What do I regard as good, or what should be part of a generally accepted "good physics courses list" from league tables and what not?
    If this is my opinion....Edinburgh, Leeds and also funny enough I've always thought UMIST as a science and tech course would be good for phys, but I don't see it rating highly, which is a surprise. Perhaps when it combines with Manc they will have a good dep.

ReputationRep:
    I already told you why average ucas points for the university as a whole doesn;t tell you a great deal about their physics department. That's not to say that the place doesn't have a good general rep of cours,e it is very likely to have a great one.
    See below:

Well done Watson, you are learning well :rolleyes:
    i would agree with all you have written here however I am not sure how it relates to my point as your sacarsm confuses me on this.
    What do I regard as good, or what should be part of a generally accepted "good physics courses list" from league tables and what not?
    If this is my opinion....Edinburgh, Leeds and also funny enough I've always thought UMIST as a science and tech course would be good for phys, but I don't see it rating highly, which is a surprise. Perhaps when it combines with Manc they will have a good dep.
    thats alright then

ReputationRep:
    i would agree with all you have written here however I am not sure how it relates to my point as your sacarsm confuses me on this.
    Sarcasm rocks!

thats alright then

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm rocks!

we agree at last

ReputationRep:
    If u can i would suggest talking to people involved in physics, perhaps u could email them? I know my friend did this when he couldnt decide if Oxford had a gd enough reputation to do engineering. most wont reply but its worth a shot, and i know he got sum gd feedback from 1 or 2.

Perhaps u know people who have already gone to uni? If u do ask thema bout their uni, and why its gd, and why its bad.

When i was deciding I wrote a list of what was important to me, and gave each point a different score. For instance, i wanted a uni out of london, if it satisfied this i gave it 5 points. I prefferred a city uni to a campus uni, and this I gave 2 points. I preffered collegiate, again 2 points, old uni:1point. Does the area have gd shops,inc topshop,dorothy perkins and next? 4 points.
    Im not saying use these points, make up what is gd for u. I had 14 unis i liked, and it took time but i knew once i had my final 6 I had thoroughly looked at it and knew my faves. the added bonus of this is u also have an idea of your top 2 or 1 in rankings, although i gave sum more points once i had visited open days.

I ended up choosing Durham, which was right for me. Yes i had that great feeling when i went there, but i also knew that it had practically everything, inclusing the shops, that i wanted.

Researching into ur uni takes time, but u cd end up spending 3 or 4 years of ur life there, thats a huge investment, make sure u have made the right decision!

ReputationRep:
    You are far too organised! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Im not usually, but things like that are important thing to think about, and its a brill excuse 4 not doing ur homework!

ReputationRep:
    good departments for astronomy include:

st andrews, glasgow, edinburgh, cardiff, warwick, leicester and the usual suspects (cambridge, oxford, UCL, imperial)

ReputationRep:
    manchester have their own telescope

ReputationRep:
    manchester have their own telescope
    Just one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Just one?
    well a proper one, as oposed to the kids play things you find on the roofs of some physics departments in the UK

ReputationRep:
    well a proper one, as oposed to the kids play things you find on the roofs of some physics departments in the UK
    You think that's a lot?

ReputationRep:
    You think that's a lot?
    it is when its this big

ReputationRep:
    That's jodrell bank! I thought you were talking about visual telescopes not radio ones!

ReputationRep:
    That's jodrell bank! I thought you were talking about visual telescopes not radio ones!
    no of course not

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.