Cambridge have six, the *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Cambridge have six, the *******s.
    aren't they all connected anyway to form MERLIN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    aren't they all connected anyway to form MERLIN
    Some I think yes, I'm not sure the micro-kelvin imager or whatever it was was.

ReputationRep:
    we agree at last
    nooooooooooooooo...must not agree, must not agree, must not agree.............ermmmm you suck! there! we don't agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    nooooooooooooooo...must not agree, must not agree, must not agree.............ermmmm you suck! there! we don't agree!
    i do suck indeed

ReputationRep:
    i do suck indeed
    The question is, what?

ReputationRep:
    The question is, what?
    ok don't understand that one, but idea was to agree with bosslady as she seems so petrified that our ideas might be the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)

Finally, I don't know much about Edingburgh or St Andrew's for Physics, but would certainly say they are not in the top5 for the subject. Internationally, they seem quite well known for their names, but in England they are not really considered some of the top unis. Edingburgh is better than St And in my opinion)
    That you don't know much is quite clear: St Andrews is a top 10 uni for Physics in both the Times (5) and Guardian (8) tables and had a 5 RAE rating in the last assessment. Edinburgh is in the top 20 and also has a 5. Both offer high quality teaching, strong international student communities and a high quality of student life.

Both these institutions are undeniably top universities.

ReputationRep:
    For someone who has so many opinions on the subject Ms Hoofbeat has suprisingly little knowledge of the researchers and centres of research excellence in the UK. Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that she isn't even at University yet.

ReputationRep:
    For someone who has so many opinions on the subject Ms Hoofbeat has suprisingly little knowledge of the researchers and centres of research excellence in the UK. Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that she isn't even at University yet.
    I probably shouldn't have been so snotty but I get fed up with people who know nothing about Scottish universities dismissing them because they're not in England. The sheer bloody arrogance is astounding - and I speak as a proud Englishwoman who went to a Scottish university on the advice of a Welshman!

Perhaps when £3000 fees are payable in England the benefits of the Scottish system will be more widely appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenverDiva)
    I probably shouldn't have been so snotty but I get fed up with people who know nothing about Scottish universities dismissing them because they're not in England. The sheer bloody arrogance is astounding - and I speak as a proud Englishwoman who went to a Scottish university on the advice of a Welshman!

Perhaps when £3000 fees are payable in England the benefits of the Scottish system will be more widely appreciated.
    Don't worry about it, she also said exeter wasn't a good place to do physics, despite having a 5 rating and two FRS's in the department! I'm also an english graduate of a scottish university (well my gran was a scot) , but I don't take advice from welshmen.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is a great uni for Physics! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, she also said exeter wasn't a good place to do physics, despite having a 5 rating and two FRS's in the department! I'm also an english graduate of a scottish university (well my gran was a scot) , but I don't take advice from welshmen.
    Exeter requires very low grades to get into, and I was under the impression that on one of the ratings, all that was being measured was the uni's ability to meet criterial/expectations that it sets for most of the points and hence why very few uni's score really low scores. If the uni's play the system they end up with good scores in these examinations.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that on one of the ratings, all that was being measured was the uni's ability to meet criterial/expectations that it sets for most of the points and hence why very few uni's score really low scores. If the uni's play the system they end up with good scores in these examinations.
    You're thinking of the Teaching Quality Assessment rating, in which a score is given out of 24. The 5 rating is for Research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    You're thinking of the Teaching Quality Assessment rating, in which a score is given out of 24. The 5 rating is for Research.
    yeah that would be the one

ReputationRep:
    Exeter requires very low grades to get into
    But it also has a high drop out rate. It is a very good department for research with some of the top physicists in the country researching there - exposure to this level of research is critical in providing a good physics degree.

ReputationRep:
    But it also has a high drop out rate. It is a very good department for research with some of the top physicists in the country researching there - exposure to this level of research is critical in providing a good physics degree.
    how is a high drop out rate good? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    how is a high drop out rate good? :confused:
    I didn't say it was good, but it shows that the degree is not that easy.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I wasn't aware that Scottish Universities were well renowned for Physics there's no need to be so rude:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Finally, I don't know much about Edingburgh or St Andrew's for Physics....
    ...I was only going by what I had been informed by others and from the data I had looked at when I was applying to Uni. My lack of knowledge of top scottish unis is probably hampered by the fact that I primarily applied to Uni's in the South of England.

However, regarding, Exeter, I still stand by my statement. It is not a "top" university for Physics. Indeed it might still be good, but as the initial poster wanted to know the "best" that were available to her/him, then I stand by my statement. We could go on all day listing all the good universities, but that won't help the initial poster!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was good, but it shows that the degree is not that easy.
    or some of the students that the uni let in aren't up to it?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.