The Student Room Group

How to be an A student

since the beginning of my academic journey I've always been an average student with B-C grades. My gcses are okay (7Bs,2As,3Cs) but it was the best i could do given the circumstances.
Now I've began my As courses I don't want average grades or 'just passes', I want A grades, the only problem is I don't know how to achieve them.
does anyone have any tips for the best grades and motivation ?
I take History, English lit., Sociology and Business studies.
I hope to get into a Russel group uni
Original post by Nadinejas
since the beginning of my academic journey I've always been an average student with B-C grades. My gcses are okay (7Bs,2As,3Cs) but it was the best i could do given the circumstances.
Now I've began my As courses I don't want average grades or 'just passes', I want A grades, the only problem is I don't know how to achieve them.

Consistently working hard, instead of cramming at the end. And lots of past papers
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
Consistently working hard, instead of cramming at the end. And lots of past papers

Thank you, I'll start looking for past papers
Thank you, I'll start looking for past papers

Your GCSE's are better than mine, if I may ask, what were your 12 in? As I only did 10, and I thought to do Further Maths and Further Additional Science you needed to be an A* student. I achieved 1 A*, 4A'a, 1 B, 2 C'a, 1 D1 and 1 E (Product Design) which I don't like to discuss😂. I'm currently doing A levels, with ambitions of Cambridge to study Law. So aim high my friend! Do A LOT of past papers, and go over notes/answer questions etc. Revise for every essay and have consistency. This is basically what I do, with the exception of doing past papers yet, and I have been consistently achieving A/B grades thus far in Sixth Form. Do not give up, you have very good GCSE's (seriously, 12 is insanely good), and you certainly can do well at A level. Good luck!

My GCSE grades were pretty "meh" (quite worse than yours) and I walked out of A-Levels with A*A*B so really, the only thing I've changed is that I focused on my 3 subjects all throughout the year consistently, meeting deadlines, doing questions every day, or most days anyway (this is maths though, not sure how doable this is for your subjects) and looking outside the curriculum in some aspects to help aid my understanding.
Reply 5
Original post by AnonymousEric
Your GCSE's are better than mine, if I may ask, what were your 12 in? As I only did 10, and I thought to do Further Maths and Further Additional Science you needed to be an A* student. I achieved 1 A*, 4A'a, 1 B, 2 C'a, 1 D1 and 1 E (Product Design) which I don't like to discuss😂. I'm currently doing A levels, with ambitions of Cambridge to study Law. So aim high my friend! Do A LOT of past papers, and go over notes/answer questions etc. Revise for every essay and have consistency. This is basically what I do, with the exception of doing past papers yet, and I have been consistently achieving A/B grades thus far in Sixth Form. Do not give up, you have very good GCSE's (seriously, 12 is insanely good), and you certainly can do well at A level. Good luck!

i took english lit, english lang, ict, bio, chem, physics, art, maths, french, history, business and rs for gcse :smile:
Thank you so much <3
i'll defo start doing practice papers and note re-reading
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
My GCSE grades were pretty "meh" (quite worse than yours) and I walked out of A-Levels with A*A*B so really, the only thing I've changed is that I focused on my 3 subjects all throughout the year consistently, meeting deadlines, doing questions every day, or most days anyway (this is maths though, not sure how doable this is for your subjects) and looking outside the curriculum in some aspects to help aid my understanding.

Ok so consistency is key. got it :smile:
set a target everyday :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest