The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Apply for Accommodation!?

Heyyy

Ive got a unconditional offer and accepted it, so now i'm starting to look at student accommodation for 2017 September. Anyone know when I can start to apply as on SHU it says from 1st December but on sites such as UNITE some places can be booked now so don't know what to do. Also on SHU website you have to register but when I go to do that it says "invalid" and my details do not exist in the system, anyone know why?
Original post by VinnyRobinson
Heyyy

Ive got a unconditional offer and accepted it, so now i'm starting to look at student accommodation for 2017 September. Anyone know when I can start to apply as on SHU it says from 1st December but on sites such as UNITE some places can be booked now so don't know what to do. Also on SHU website you have to register but when I go to do that it says "invalid" and my details do not exist in the system, anyone know why?

Hey Vinny,

Officially, accommodation applications open for Sheffield Hallam on 1st December. This way, you apply through the university and you are guaranteed a place to live. You will also pay the price that is agreed between the university and the accommodation itself, rather than any higher cost and fees that may come with applying directly.

We always recommend that our students apply directly with the university to make sure they do have somewhere to stay. If you apply on 1st December, you'll be in with a great shot of staying in the accommodation you choose and will be placed with other students in their first year too.

You will receive an e-mail from us next month with information on applying for accommodation so we'll let you know it's open.

Do you have any more questions? :smile:

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hey Vinny,

Officially, accommodation applications open for Sheffield Hallam on 1st December. This way, you apply through the university and you are guaranteed a place to live. You will also pay the price that is agreed between the university and the accommodation itself, rather than any higher cost and fees that may come with applying directly.

We always recommend that our students apply directly with the university to make sure they do have somewhere to stay. If you apply on 1st December, you'll be in with a great shot of staying in the accommodation you choose and will be placed with other students in their first year too.

You will receive an e-mail from us next month with information on applying for accommodation so we'll let you know it's open.

Do you have any more questions? :smile:

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)

Ah okay, thanks for the quick reply. So from the 1st December ill be able to register and apply but can't register before that date?
hi there! i'm a first year at Hallam living in halls.

for your first year, i'd recommend applying through the uni accommodation service. you can only apply from the 1st December, as it says on the website. yeah, you can't register before the 1st; you'll have to wait until then. :/

i wouldn't apply for accommodation through UNITE - at least during your first year. you could be placed anywhere in the building, with second or third years, or have an extra-long contract. all the contracts through the university accommodation service are 44 weeks.

i've been to a few of the UNITE properties and currently live in Exchange Works, so if you wanna ask any questions about the uni or the accommodation i'll be happy to answer! :smile:
Original post by notinacreepyway
hi there! i'm a first year at Hallam living in halls.

for your first year, i'd recommend applying through the uni accommodation service. you can only apply from the 1st December, as it says on the website. yeah, you can't register before the 1st; you'll have to wait until then. :/

i wouldn't apply for accommodation through UNITE - at least during your first year. you could be placed anywhere in the building, with second or third years, or have an extra-long contract. all the contracts through the university accommodation service are 44 weeks.

i've been to a few of the UNITE properties and currently live in Exchange Works, so if you wanna ask any questions about the uni or the accommodation i'll be happy to answer! :smile:

Heyyy
Ah right thanks for letting me know. Yeah as don't want to be placed with 2nd or 3rd years want to be with people that are in same situation in there 1st year.

Oh cool, I was looking at exchange works and was wondering what its like as I've seen a few mixed reviews saying it's overpriced for what you get, and seem some comments saying the rooms don't look like they do on some pictures :/ what do you make of it being a first year living there? :smile:
Original post by VinnyRobinson
Heyyy
Ah right thanks for letting me know. Yeah as don't want to be placed with 2nd or 3rd years want to be with people that are in same situation in there 1st year.

Oh cool, I was looking at exchange works and was wondering what its like as I've seen a few mixed reviews saying it's overpriced for what you get, and seem some comments saying the rooms don't look like they do on some pictures :/ what do you make of it being a first year living there? :smile:

to be honest, i really like it here!

he rooms are big, you get an en-suite and the room photos are actually pretty representative! all the rooms have been refurbished in the last two years, so it's really nice.

Exchange Works itself is pretty small - there are about 90 flats - in comparison to places like The Forge, which is quadruple the size of Exchange Works. living here i'm also ridiculously close to City Campus - it's a 10 minute walk to the Adsetts building. in the opposite direction, it's about the same to walk to Aldi or Waitrose, which are the two biggest and nearest supermarkets.

if you're at Collegiate campus, i would honestly say to not live here. my flatmate is based at Collegiate and rolling out of bed at 10:30 when she has a lecture at 11 is just not possible.

i dunno if internet speed matters to you, but here, at 12pm on a Saturday, i'm getting 57mb/s download and 49mb/s upload, which is nice! much faster than my internet at home.

i think the social aspect is pretty good, too! i'm not a big drinker, but because i'm so close to the HUBS i can always pop down there if there are socials on with societies. Exchange Works is also pretty close to some nightclubs, so you don't have to worry about catching a taxi back to your accommodation - it's close enough to walk. however because it's so small, you have a pretty limited range of people to hang out with from within your accommodation. places like The Forge are much more social in terms of flat parties, etc.

i hope that covered some of your questions! :smile: if you have any other about the city, the uni itself, etc, please feel free to ask those too. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending