The Student Room Group

UCL Postgraduate Applications 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bhv67
anyone else heard any updates from CSML, my portico also changed this afternoon but heard nothing since then

From what I understand you should be able to see the result after 12 pm (GMT). Good luck!
Reply 221
My portico changed this afternoon, as well. Feeling nervous and sick to my stomach... hoping these few hours will fly by. Good luck to everyone!
Reply 222
Seems like CSML applicants are getting quicker responses than ML? Thought it was supposed to be the opposite
Has any CSML received a decision yet, or just a change on portico? It wouldn't make sense for CSML to get decisions when the admissions tutor for ML said he can't look at apps for another 3+ weeks. Unless of course they process CSML first, and then look at ML separately. I guess as CSML can be offered an ML place if they miss CSML for any reason it may make sense. Who knows haha. I give up trying to understand any of the university's admissions processes!
Original post by ViralRiver
Has any CSML received a decision yet, or just a change on portico? It wouldn't make sense for CSML to get decisions when the admissions tutor for ML said he can't look at apps for another 3+ weeks. Unless of course they process CSML first, and then look at ML separately. I guess as CSML can be offered an ML place if they miss CSML for any reason it may make sense. Who knows haha. I give up trying to understand any of the university's admissions processes!

My email said process of ML is completely independent of CSML.
Reply 225
I have received a CSML offer, then again, I applied quite early (1st December)
Reply 226
My application for MSc CSML was "unsuccessful" according to Portico. To be honest, I didn't expect that rejection :/ Congrats to everyone who got in!

Also, could any successful applicant share his background?
Original post by Krek95
My application for MSc CSML was "unsuccessful" according to Portico. To be honest, I didn't expect that rejection :/ Congrats to everyone who got in!

Also, could any successful applicant share his background?

Sad to hear. :frown:

Did they make you an alternative offer?
Reply 228
Original post by StephenWond3rboy
Sad to hear. :frown:

Did they make you an alternative offer?

No, they didn't. I suppose that I was rejected because my background in programming wasn't very strong. Anyway, I will be attending Oxford, since I got no offer from UCL. Best of luck to you!
Original post by Krek95
No, they didn't. I suppose that I was rejected because my background in programming wasn't very strong. Anyway, I will be attending Oxford, since I got no offer from UCL. Best of luck to you!

Sad to hear that. Oxford isn't that bad though :tongue:
Which course are you attending?
Reply 230
Original post by Krek95

What's your background in programming like? I thought admissions was only after a strong quantitative background
Reply 231
Original post by InfamHabito
Sad to hear that. Oxford isn't that bad though :tongue:
Which course are you attending?

MSc in Statistical Science. It seems to me that it is quite interesting and demanding like MSc CSML. However, it lacks the breadth in machine learning.

Original post by Sg23
What's your background in programming like? I thought admissions was only after a strong quantitative background

I had the same impression. With respect to my programming background, I have attended an introductory course in C++, while I gained further experience with self-studying. Also, I know some basic R thanks to an introductory course in machine learning.
Reply 232
Original post by Krek95
MSc in Statistical Science. It seems to me that it is quite interesting and demanding like MSc CSML. However, it lacks the breadth in machine learning.

I had the same impression. With respect to my programming background, I have attended an introductory course in C++, while I gained further experience with self-studying. Also, I know some basic R thanks to an introductory course in machine learning.

Quite a shame. Programs should be more explicit in spelling out the specifics of entry requirements - I had trouble judging whether I would be qualified for a handful of programs (by the standards of the admissions committee). Then again, they may expect you to call in and inquire in detail on these matters

Either way, it seems to lead to a significant amount of misallocated effort and losses for all parties. Oxford sounds pretty awesome regardless, so congrats on that
Original post by Krek95

Yeah, I think programming seems to have much more weight than initially expected. I have a similar background to yours, where I've used MySQL, R and MATLAB for specific projects. My quant background should have been fine.

Seems not, so they offered me MSc Data Science. Which has similar ML modules, but no access to advanced or unsupervised learning topics. So you basically lose out on frontiers of ML research (more self-study :P ).

Edit: It's really odd, though. I specifically checked Linkedin for people with quant heavy, programming low backgrounds before applying to see if they got accepted into the course. Generally, they do. Seen guys from Econ, Stats, and Maths backgrounds get in without much programming (at least on their CV).
(edited 7 years ago)
Did they tell you that it was your programming background (or lack of) that held you back?
Reply 235
Original post by ViralRiver
Did they tell you that it was your programming background (or lack of) that held you back?

No, they didn't provide any feedback. I assumed so, since my quantitative background is decent.
Sent off my application in November and it still reads "application under assessment". I contacted the department out of sheer panic and desperation, and they said that they just got the application from the admissions office, which has been sent to the course tutor who "will review it and recommend an offer" and then admissions will let me know. Where I am from, college admissions are sliiiightly less complicated, and I have zero idea about what is even happening. :/
UCL is an absolute farce. I'm so disappointed by the way they've approached this whole process. I withdrew my application today and accepted my backup offer from Imperial (which I submitted a week after I applied to UCL and got a response to on January 3) instead.

If this is how they run their admissions, then it indicates what a shoddy operation their whole department must be. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be part of such an institution.
Reply 238
Original post by danaxx92
UCL is an absolute farce. I'm so disappointed by the way they've approached this whole process. I withdrew my application today and accepted my backup offer from Imperial (which I submitted a week after I applied to UCL and got a response to on January 3) instead.

If this is how they run their admissions, then it indicates what a shoddy operation their whole department must be. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be part of such an institution.

You should send them an e-mail, tell them you're going to imperial because their admissions department is ****. Btw I applied November and still haven't heard back, just tried calling the management department and surprise surprise been ignored again.
Original post by rida.s
You should send them an e-mail, tell them you're going to imperial because their admissions department is ****. Btw I applied November and still haven't heard back, just tried calling the management department and surprise surprise been ignored again.

I'm not going to lie, the time they take to make a decision is frustrating, but I haven't faced the lack of communication, if anything, the Security and Crime Science department have always replied to emails as fast as possible. Even regarding the email about not having gotten a decision yet, I got the reply on the same day that I sent the email (well, same day for me, but then I'm ahead of UK time).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending