The Student Room Group

UCL Postgraduate Applications 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bhv67
Hope you did well in your interview ? Was that face to face ? and what kind ?
Would you mind sharing your background ?
cheers

It was the WePow interview. That meant, it was a one-way interview. Pre-recorded questions and it gave me a few seconds to prepare my answer and then it would start recording and automatically submit. Kind of nerve wrecking to be honest.

I am a currently doing my BSc in the US, even though I am a european citizen. So I'd consider myself rather international. Haha.

GPA of 3.59/4.00, joined a few clubs and organizations on campus, I have at least one really strong reference, personal statement OK.

Founded my own company a few years ago, nothing major but gave me a little experience.

We'll see if it's enough to get in. I hope it is. I watched a debate from the school of management where it was said that the previous year's acceptance rate was less than 4%..
Reply 41
Original post by Twooz
Well, it states on Portico "You should receive a response approximately six weeks after the application became complete."

I did receive a 'response' in the form of an interview that I completed on Wednesday. So technically they did give a response to my application, just not a decision.

I will probably contact them if I have not received a decision within two weeks.

What program did you apply for? I sincerely hope that I will manage to avoid the interview somehow, it scares me pretty much
Original post by Murph_
Hey! Do you mind me asking when did you apply? I applied for Social Cognition about three weeks ago and my application is still 'under assessment'. It should take them six weeks to answer, but I am, normally, getting pretty anxious :biggrin:

I applied in the beginning of November, 2nd or 3rd. Hope that helps
Reply 43
Original post by Murph_
What program did you apply for? I sincerely hope that I will manage to avoid the interview somehow, it scares me pretty much

MSc Business Analytics.. It is a really competitive program, I guess.

I didn't think I had to do the interview either, which is why I initially applied because I thought "Hey, what's to lose?" but then the invitation for the interview came and took me by surprise.
Reply 44
As I wrote in the other thread, just got my conditional offer for MSc Security Studies. The condition is pretty "strict", but I'm en route to it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
My application status has changed! It says 'currently being processed by admissions'. According to thread from last year, this means that I will get the decision after the midnight, right?

Ok, I forgot how to breath :biggrin:
Original post by Murph_
My application status has changed! It says 'currently being processed by admissions'. According to thread from last year, this means that I will get the decision after the midnight, right?

Ok, I forgot how to breath :biggrin:

Awesome! Good luck, let us know how it goes :smile: . Seems portico will be closing for a week from tomorrow so you may not be so lucky time wise, but fingers crossed :smile: .

Little behind you, just got my second reference submitted and my status has now changed to:

"Application under assessment
Your references have been received and your application has been initially assessed.

We may need to contact you by email if we require further information about your application. If any items are showing below as still required please upload via the applicant portal as soon as possible. If the option to upload is not showing then please email them instead

You should receive a response approximately six weeks after the application became complete."
Make a research inquiry to a Professor for a PhD and he asked for my CV...do you think this is a good sign?
Reply 48
Original post by ViralRiver
Awesome! Good luck, let us know how it goes :smile: . Seems portico will be closing for a week from tomorrow so you may not be so lucky time wise, but fingers crossed :smile: .

I was offered a place the same day after midnight, around 1PM! The theory is definitely true!

Good luck to all of you, I hope that everyone will get offers!!

Original post by Anna.Karenina
Make a research inquiry to a Professor for a PhD and he asked for my CV...do you think this is a good sign?

I am sure it is a good sign!! The fact that he would like to learn more about you, means he is considering you for serious!
Reply 49
Hi all
I'm currently applying for the MA in Education Gender and International Development. Anyone out there opted for the same course? Do you know if an application will start being assessed if a document is pending or does it need to be completed by the time the procedure starts.
Thank u
Original post by Kalisti
Hi all
I'm currently applying for the MA in Education Gender and International Development. Anyone out there opted for the same course? Do you know if an application will start being assessed if a document is pending or does it need to be completed by the time the procedure starts.
Thank u

It says on Portico that the turnaround time is 6 weeks from when the application is complete (i.e. all documents received).
Does anyone know if the deadlines are when the applications have to be submitted or completed?
Reply 52
Original post by Kalisti
Hi all
Thank u

Your status at Portico should change to 'application under assessment' as soon as your documents and references are uploaded. You will also receive an email about this!
Reply 53
Original post by Murph_
Your status at Portico should change to 'application under assessment' as soon as your documents and references are uploaded. You will also receive an email about this!

Thank you. I could have completed my application by mid November but I have been expecting my MA transcript from the University of Manchester. I graduated quite a long time ago and transcripts of this sort could take up to 8 weeks to be delivered, something I didn't know. So frustrating! The staff at the relevant department is sooo indifferent and unhelpful.
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of applying to the MA Education and International Development at UCL. I'm currently doing BA Accounting and Finance at Durham University so this MA is not really relevant to my undergraduate study. Moreover, I don't have any relevant working experience in a lower middle income country but I'm actually from a lower middle income country (Vietnam). I got a 2:1 68% last year so not that "super smart" type. However, I really really like this course and it would best suit my long-term goal. So anyone know how competitive is this course at UCL? Would it be sensible for me to apply since I don't have any relevant experiences or undergraduate study? Do I even stand a chance of getting an offer? And in my ps, should I be honest and say I hope to work in many other parts of the world or should I say I just want to go back to my country?
Submitted my application two weeks ago almost and my page has shown as being initially assessed and under assessment since. However, I just got an email saying that my application has now been received and the application payment has been taken. Is that just a big delay with an acknowledgement email or could it mean I'm getting a decision soon xD?
Reply 56
Original post by ViralRiver
Submitted my application two weeks ago almost and my page has shown as being initially assessed and under assessment since. However, I just got an email saying that my application has now been received and the application payment has been taken. Is that just a big delay with an acknowledgement email or could it mean I'm getting a decision soon xD?

Over 3 week for me and i got similar email after 2 weeks.
This just means that it's going thru initial assessment such as credentials check and it's not reached the dept yet.
They told me that there first decision point is in Jan so i might have to wait till end of Jan
Not sure why they claim 6 weeks
Damn was hoping the wait could be over for at least one haha. I've been putting off other applications in the hope I get at least one from my current pool so I can save on application money and time!
Reply 58
Original post by bhv67
Over 3 week for me and i got similar email after 2 weeks.
This just means that it's going thru initial assessment such as credentials check and it's not reached the dept yet.
They told me that there first decision point is in Jan so i might have to wait till end of Jan
Not sure why they claim 6 weeks

Wait, are you serious? It's been 7 weeks for me now and nothing.
I did my interview like two weeks ago..

I can't really wait until January because I have an offer with a scholarship elsewhere.

Does the first decision point in January count for all of the programs?!
I'm thinking of applying end of January for a masters in management, would that be too late?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending