The Student Room Group

Portfolio for computing for games

Hello, I am an international student and I have applied to computing for games course at Falmouth university. Today I received a letter asking for some pre-interview work. The problem is that I don't really know what sort of work I should send. So, perhaps someone could help me with this and suggest what I should include in my portfolio? Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you contacted the admissions tutor (it is Michael Scott) for advice?

The course uses GitHub extensively, and so you can find examples of work there:

https://github.com/Falmouth-Games-Academy
Reply 2
I've sent you a PM.

Edit:

I also found this which may be helpful:

"Evidence of programming practice and/or game development practice in the form of a portfolio and reflective notes. This could be presented as an open-source code repository, website, and/or digital video (i.e., GitHub, GameBucket.io, YouTube, etc.). Please note that, while the course team do not assume that new students have prior programming experience or technical qualifications, they expect students to be enthusiastic and curious enough to have explored the area and engaged in some form of practice on their own, even if the resulting projects are small and/or incomplete. The reflective notes should comment on how the content of the portfolio, alongside any other relevant achievements and/or experience, relate to the key technical/creative competencies and/or characteristics required by computing professionals who work in the games industry. The course team are particularly interested in evidence that demonstrates either: (i) technical practice and an interest in creativity; or (ii) creative practice and a willingness to learn about technology. They are also interested in traits including: resilience; dedication to a craft; initiative; discipline; and comfort with mathematics."

Here is an example from the November 2016 Tecademy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJQNYT_-pM
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your help, Adrir :smile:
Original post by waflizz
I don't really know what sort of work I should send. So, perhaps someone could help me with this and suggest what I should include in my portfolio?

Hi Waflizz,

I am the Admissions Tutor for BSc(Hons) Computing for Games at Falmouth University's Games Academy.

You can find information about our admissions process on our interview information page here:

http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/interview-information/computing-for-games

Sections 5 and 6 highlight specifically what we are looking for.

I would like to highlight the following statement for those interested in applying:

We appreciate that many candidates will be self-taught programmers, and so we do not evaluate the size or quality of the source code in the showcase. We are more interested in its existence.

As such, we are very liberal about what can be included. I have seen candidates submit work prepared in Scratch and/or App Inventor. Others send in their solutions to Nifty Assignments and/or Khan Academy Tutorials. Some will even follow YouTube tutorials and send in completed games. We even welcome incomplete attempts and works-in-progress, particularly where work is tied to a coursework project or extended project that is ongoing. Failed experiments are also really interesting to discuss at interview!

We just want to know that those students we send offers to have had, at least, some experience of programming before committing to studying the craft for three or more years of their life. BSc(Hons) Computing for Games is a very technical, practice-orientated course. So, there is a lot of programming, mathematics, and it covers the same theory as a more traditional computer science curriculum.

It is the willingness to learn we are trying to identify, as we will introduce everyone to the very basics and their foundations in the first study block. So, you don't need a strong programming background or formal programming qualifications.

Please also note, however, that some applicants will submit nothing. The pre-interview submission is an optional part of the application process. Though, in such circumstances, we will question in more depth why applicants are applying to the BSc and not to our suite of BA courses.

If you have any questions, please feel welcome to contact me.

All the best,
Michael

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending