The Student Room Group

Cheating in a relationship

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 5 years. We have a house, 2 dogs and a good lifestyle. We have talked about getting married but this is not something I'm keen on, including having kids.

I've always experienced feelings of 'is this it?' Or 'will I ever meet someone again'. I recognise this isn't normal for some people but I take this approach a lot.

Recently I went on holiday to visit a friend. Whilst there I joined a dating website because my friend was on one. I met a guy and ended up cheating on my partner. I did not feel any guilt and if anything when I got back I realised even more how bored j was with my life. Since this time I have been really distant with my partner and have been on dating apps in the U.K. I know this makes me look terrible and I don't even understand why I am acting in this way. I am weighing up leaving my partner but I do care about him and we have a good life. He is good to me and would never ever betray me. I just can't help but think I can't ignore my recent actions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 5 years. We have a house, 2 dogs and a good lifestyle. We have talked about getting married but this is not something I'm keen on, including having kids.

I've always experienced feelings of 'is this it?' Or 'will I ever meet someone again'. I recognise this isn't normal for some people but I take this approach a lot.

Recently I went on holiday to visit a friend. Whilst there I joined a dating website because my friend was on one. I met a guy and ended up cheating on my partner. I did not feel any guilt and if anything when I got back I realised even more how bored j was with my life. Since this time I have been really distant with my partner and have been on dating apps in the U.K. I know this makes me look terrible and I don't even understand why I am acting in this way. I am weighing up leaving my partner but I do care about him and we have a good life. He is good to me and would never ever betray me. I just can't help but think I can't ignore my recent actions.

Now how would you feel if someone you loved was doing this to you, this is totally unfair. You should end your relationship so your boyfriend can actually find someone who cares about him because you clearly don't.
Reply 2
Yes, totally break up with him.

He deserves someone who respects him more.
Please just break up with the guy so he can find someone else. It's the only way you can atone for this. Stop thinking about yourself so much and think how much he'll be crushed when he finds out. It's not his fault you're bored and that's no excuse to cheat. Give the guy a break and let him be with someone who doesn't abuse him emotionally.
Reply 4
Yep the 'Is this it'? dilemma is a huge one in life. Especially nowadays when people have such high expectations.

You should confess your sins and then move towards an open relationship or break up. If you stay together I think you need to properly establish whether you both want marriage or kids or not.

I truly think open relationships make a lot of sense. Long term monogamy is not realistic for most people.

Was the cheating sex even any good? Were you unsatisfied with your partner or just filling a void in your life?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I agree with all of the above
To be honest, you should speak to your partner and together figure something out. Perhaps not for you two's sake, but definitely for the children sake. Personally I think that you should feel guilty and that you don't deserve him because if you did, then no matter what you would not have joined a dating site in the first place let alone agreed to meet up with a stranger. However it is not my relationship so yeah forget about my personal opinion on you, after all I am not the one with you.
Break up with him.

What you did is disgusting and a complete betrayal of trust. Considering the fact that you yourself have said he would never betray you, I think he deserves a hell of a lot better.

Leave your partner and get it out of your system. Don't even bother begging him for forgiveness when you realize you threw away something good.
Original post by YOLO BABY
To be honest, you should speak to your partner and together figure something out. Perhaps not for you two's sake, but definitely for the children sake. Personally I think that you should feel guilty and that you don't deserve him because if you did, then no matter what you would not have joined a dating site in the first place let alone agreed to meet up with a stranger. However it is not my relationship so yeah forget about my personal opinion on you, after all I am not the one with you.

There's no children involved, but I would be worried about the two dogs.
I always wonder why guys like girls like this. I have no idea. :colonhash: I mean what sort of a guy sleeps with a girl like this? Cheating is a total turn off.
Original post by Clockrice
I always wonder why guys like girls like this. I have no idea. :colonhash: I mean what sort of a guy sleeps with a girl like this? Cheating is a total turn off.

The guy doesn't know.....
Reply 11

What guys? The guy doesn't know.
u should be ashamed of yourself
Original post by johnTroy1
The guy doesn't know.....

I am talking about the guy she slept with on holiday, not the guy she is with.

Cucks.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Cucks.

:puke:No, just no.
I've been in a similar position. Tried to make it work but I made myself (and probably my then partner) very very miserable in the process. You need to have a very open discussion with yourself about what you want, and then with your partner either about making adjustments to the relationship, or leaving it.

There will be someone else out there who is just as nice and caring, and who you can have a long term meaningful relationship with. Staying with someone because they're nice is likely to do a number on your self esteem if you think they're the only person who will be nice to you!

Most of all, don't beat yourself up for sleeping with someone else. It happens. the people who say it's 'disgusting' etc are very boring or naive people :wink:

Not that there is anything wrong with wanting multiple partners, being a cheat is a terrible character flaw as far as I am concerned. Some people would disagree, I am sure many would agree though.

If you have any decency and if you care at all, break it off.
Cowardly move OP.
I've been in a similar position. Tried to make it work but I made myself (and probably my then partner) very very miserable in the process. You need to have a very open discussion with yourself about what you want, and then with your partner either about making adjustments to the relationship, or leaving it.

There will be someone else out there who is just as nice and caring, and who you can have a long term meaningful relationship with. Staying with someone because they're nice is likely to do a number on your self esteem if you think they're the only person who will be nice to you!

Most of all, don't beat yourself up for sleeping with someone else. It happens. the people who say it's 'disgusting' etc are very boring or naive people :wink:

You can't be serious? If you want to go round sleeping with people don't get in a relationship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending