The Student Room Group

Vet physio or Vet nursing + bio vet science??

Poll

Vet physiotherapy @Harper Adams or Vet nursing + bioveterinary sciences @Bristol?

I'm currently in my A2 year and I've got a dilemma. I've applied to study vet medicine at Nottingham and am waiting to hear back after the interview but I ballsed up the practical exam so am not expecting an offer. Now I think I'll have to choose between my 2 'safer' options - vet physio @Harper Adams or vet nursing +bioveterinary sciences @Bristol. I already have a conditional place at the Bristol course which I'm confident I can get (BBC), and an interview at Harper in February which I can (hopefully) get an offer out of (offers are around ABB which I like to think I can be confident of). Problem is I really can't choose between the two, and if I do get an offer from Harper it'll be a hard decision. Any advice?
Reply 1
It depends what you are more interested in career wise and also preference for location. Harper Adams is very good but obviously the location will be more rural, which is sometimes nice but inconvenient. Bristol is a very good uni and I assume a more central location.
I am very interested in trying to go into veterinary physiotherapy, but the physiotherapists I know all said the only way to get into it is to be a vet first, or be a human physio and do an accredited conversion- many of the BScs in vet physio do not have any sort of accreditation to allow you to practise last I checked. Vet nursing makes it easier to find a job, and the added biovet sciences means you could also work in a lab etc, opening up your options a little. Go to open days for both and also try and speak to people studying either (I do biovet at Lincoln so can't offer direct advice about either!) good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the reply! Yeah I had heard that you have to train in human physio somewhere along the line and that doesn't really appeal to me. I'll ask some questions when I'm at Harper then I'll make a decision. Thanks again!😀
Reply 3
Hi. I am the course manager for the BSc Veterinary Physiotherapy course at HAU. I can confirm you do not have to qualify as a human physiotherapist first to be able to practice as a veterinary physiotherapist. Also all BSc Veterinary Physiotherapy courses are accredited by the National Association of Veterinary Physiotherapists.
Reply 4
Turns out I needn't have bothered with this post, I got the offer from Nottingham anyway !
Reply 5
Congrats! :bunny:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending