Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My school will be sending all ucas forms online using ucasapply, for 2005 entry. I was just wondering with this new procedure do the students get to see the teachers reference on them before it is sent to ucas?

ReputationRep:
    Have a read of this --> http://ucas.com/apply/studentstarter05.pdf . I can't be bothered to type stuff
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by s-k)
    My school will be sending all ucas forms online using ucasapply, for 2005 entry. I was just wondering with this new procedure do the students get to see the teachers reference on them before it is sent to ucas?
    No!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have read that before, i know you can check the status of your Ucas application online, but can you actually see the teachers reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    No!
    I'm going to be able to read mine and we're using UCAS apply online. My tutor said she will go over it with us or something before she adds it on and sends it.

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't let us see ours, but after your application has been processed, for £10, you can request to see it via UCAS under the data protection act.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why your tutor wouldn't show you it. Our tutor wants our PS in before she starts to write the reference so she can maybe mention certain interests, qualities etc in the reference.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher read his reference to me before he sent it off...obviously he wouldn't let me change anything, but he was just running it by me so I wouldn't be too surprised if the interviewers brought anything in it up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by john williams)
    I dont see why your tutor wouldn't show you it. Our tutor wants our PS in before she starts to write the reference so she can maybe mention certain interests, qualities etc in the reference.
    In effect, its fairly similar to the end of year report you would get in Yr 12, but with certain aspects emphasised. It should be clear, though, that we are given very limited space - about 6 or 7 lines maximum per subject. The tutors then have to piece it all together with their own 'top' and 'tail' about the candidate as a person, trying to put in things that would be helpful, but not repeating what the candidate has already done in his/her PS. That's why we need to see them early on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    My school doesn't let us see ours, but after your application has been processed, for £10, you can request to see it via UCAS under the data protection act.
    Wow... my school suddenly seems to be doing something right! I've already seen mine and recommended loads of changes etc., such as class ranking and superlative phrases. Most universities only really want details of academic progress and the regard you are held in unless it is specifically relevant to your course, so for medics it is important but not really for most subjects.

I think you have to make sure you get a well written reference, but truth be told I don't think many teachers' write bad ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    Wow... my school suddenly seems to be doing something right! I've already seen mine and recommended loads of changes etc., such as class ranking and superlative phrases. Most universities only really want details of academic progress and the regard you are held in unless it is specifically relevant to your course, so for medics it is important but not really for most subjects.

I think you have to make sure you get a well written reference, but truth be told I don't think many teachers' write bad ones.
    Our teachers are renowned for writing honest references and predicted grades, so althoughs ometimes they might be harsh, unis trust them. If you get predicted an A at my school, the unis really trust you're gong to get it. Works both ways I suppose, but I think some of our teacher references are very honest, which is why we don't always get to see them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I completely agree. I think the thing at my school is that because we have a 40minute registration in the morning, and they generally have the same A Level teachers as we did at GCSE, and sometimes even before that (e.g. I've been taught by one of my English teachers for 6 years).

Sorry to be presumption, Ellie but do you go to a private school? As generally they are able to be more open on the reference, because more people apply to the top flight universities. I also think that everything is viewed in the contexts set by your own personal statement (e.g. if your teacher speaks of an overpowering enthusiasm yet your personal statement is monotone and shows nothing but a cure for insomnia, it looks odd) and of course your exam grades.

I think the crucial thing is that your teachers spend a decent amount of time on your reference. I know a lot of people from the local community college received supplementary letters because their references simply weren't detailed enough, or were missing fundamental facets such as predicted grades.

Out of interest, Ellie, what application stage are you at? Did/Does it not gnaw at you that you can't look at your reference? I couldn't stand that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers are renowned for writing honest references and predicted grades, so althoughs ometimes they might be harsh, unis trust them. If you get predicted an A at my school, the unis really trust you're gong to get it. Works both ways I suppose, but I think some of our teacher references are very honest, which is why we don't always get to see them
    lol, its not as if the uni can actually remember your particular school and its 'reputation'..

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I go to a grammar school. I'm applying to uni in Sept, but we've already explicitly been told that we will not get to see our references. It doesn't bother me really, but if I start to get a lot of rejections, then I'll probably ask UCAS to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    *sharpens knife in preparation* Rejections, grr.

Hmph. I don't even know which one of my teachers are writing it! It's also possible at my school, for a teacher who's never even taught me to write it! Might actually be for the best though, I look a lot better on paper
    How can someone who doesn't know you write a statement? Weird! We get to choose who does it!

ReputationRep:
    we've already explicitly been told that we will not get to see our references.
    It is illegal to withold references from students (Data Protection Act, I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    It is illegal to withold references from students (Data Protection Act, I think).
    That's why you can get them from UCAS under the data protection act, but I won't see them through my school.

ReputationRep:
    If your school are using the online applications procedure then you can call data protection on them as it will be stored on a computer at their end. Even if they are not then it is likely that your reference will be on a computer and not handwritten. No need to pay £10!

ReputationRep:
    Our guidance teachers write them for us. I had a meeting with mine a month or two ago and he thought I still wanted to be an astrophysicist. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Our guidance teachers write them for us. I had a meeting with mine a month or two ago and he thought I still wanted to be an astrophysicist. :rolleyes:
    Morning sweetums

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.