bethanyr0se284
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently studying AS french. I really enjoy the subject so i dont want to drop it, but i am finding it really hard keeping up with the rest of my class. Especially since everyone speaks another language fluently apart from me! Does anyone have any tips on how to catch up with the rest of the class and stop falling behind. The bits i find particularly difficult is learning grammar rules (e/g adjectives and adverbs) but particularly knowing when to use them. For example in our last test we had sentances with gaps in. We were given verbs to put in the gaps but had to conjugate them. I found it hard to figure out whether it was msc/fem sing/plural and what tense to put it in. Is there any tips on making this a bit easier?
Also what are good resources to use improve my grammar( like duolingo or Zut)?
Thanks
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bethanyr0se284)
I am currently studying AS french. I really enjoy the subject so i dont want to drop it, but i am finding it really hard keeping up with the rest of my class. Especially since everyone speaks another language fluently apart from me! Does anyone have any tips on how to catch up with the rest of the class and stop falling behind. The bits i find particularly difficult is learning grammar rules (e/g adjectives and adverbs) but particularly knowing when to use them. For example in our last test we had sentances with gaps in. We were given verbs to put in the gaps but had to conjugate them. I found it hard to figure out whether it was msc/fem sing/plural and what tense to put it in. Is there any tips on making this a bit easier?
Thanks
Hey Bethany,

Sorry you didn't get any replies to this one — I'll try my best to help out!

It can be really difficult when you're in a languages class with fluent speakers, it can make you feel like you're not capable of learning the language. This isn't the case, I promise. It is frustrating when they know things you don't — but that's because they've spoken the language for probably a majority of their lives! Don't let that get you down :hugs:

In terms of catching up, always always ask your teacher for any work you've missed or extension work. Ask for a copy of the textbook or anything else they recommend you can do… for example, I read French news, French children's books etc and it's really useful. I also watch the news in French (France24.fr) and it's really a great tool to help with your listening. The first thing people will say is: "I don't understand it" — don't worry. They're speaking at a normal pace and using complicated vocab, focus more on what you do understand and keep listening to it. It'll become clear.

To aid with listening and reading, the most important thing you can do is learn vocab. Keep going over all of your vocab and its translation/meaning. Memorise them off-by-heart. You'll find that with this extra information, everything becomes a lot more clear. Also look out for cognates, usually if a word sounds the same in English it will probably mean the same. (Make sure to look out for false friends though!)

In terms of grammar and conjugation, you will need to memorise the verb endings and agreements. Try to look at sentences and conjugate a verb into other tenses to see what it sounds like and how the structure of the sentence changes to accommodate that. Try and pick up the patterns that occur when the gender is different. Look at active and passive voice, observe what changes. Make sure you're aware of your direct and indirect object pronouns. In basic terms, you must revise and memorise them. I know it's really boring, but it's the best way to do it.

You should have some verb tables for conjugation, pick a verb (i.e. jouer) and see how it conjugates. Memorise all of the conjugations for the word. Once you've done this, you should be able to then take (almost) any -er verb and conjugate it. Do the same for -re and -ir verbs too. As for the irregular verbs (i.e. MRS VANDERTRAMP or whatever mnemonic you use for them) — you must simply memorise the irregular endings. That's the worst bit, so make sure you have a look at them.

To recognise genders, look for patterns:

"Les filles jouent" — We can see it refers to more than one female performing an action in the present tense. For that, we take the verb jouer (to play) and conjugate it into the plural ils/elles form, which is jouent. There's a useful tool online by Bescherelle that can help when conjugating. It might help you to revise the endings and patterns too: bescherelle.com

I've used Duolingo and I find that's the best tool out there! Also, have a look at Quizlet vocab cards too: https://quizlet.com/subject/French-AS/

I hope this helps and all the best — you've got this!! :dumbells:
Ethan
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bethanyr0se284)
Thanks
iEthan has given you some really good advice here, and I'd urge you to follow it. It's horrid when everyone else in the class is babbling away in seemingly perfect French and you're sat there busily trying to construct something to say in your head! I know.

What grammar book do you use? Personally, I really like Action Grammaraire - it's detailed enough to see you through AS/A2 but not as detailed as something like French Grammar and Usage which although excellent is perhaps a little bit too detailed.

As well as learning the basic 'rules' of grammar (for instance when you would use l'imparfait for describing things in the past, and use passé composé for a one-off, completed action) try to find examples of the grammar rules you're learning in context, in for instance a book that you're reading or an article/topic you're studying.Learning grammar rules in the context of a sentence, rather than just as a list of rules, really helps cement them in your mind.

Good luck. Or should that be bonne chance!
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
iEthan has given you some really good advice here, and I'd urge you to follow it. It's horrid when everyone else in the class is babbling away in seemingly perfect French and you're sat there busily trying to construct something to say in your head! I know.

What grammar book do you use? Personally, I really like Action Grammar - it's detailed enough to see you through AS/A2 but not as detailed as something like French Grammar and Usage which although excellent is perhaps a little bit too detailed.

As well as learning the basic 'rules' of grammar (for instance when you would use l'imparfait for describing things in the past, and use passé composé for a one-off, completed action) try to find examples of the grammar rules you're learning in context, in for instance a book that you're reading or an article/topic you're studying.Learning grammar rules in the context of a sentence, rather than just as a list of rules, really helps cement them in your mind.

Good luck. Or should that be bonne chance!
PRSOM!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads