Could this cause permanent damage?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok so I train in a martial art and yesterday someone kicked me harder than they were supposed to in the top of the calf. It has been in agony since and I can barely walk. However I am supposed to be at a competition for the martial art tomorrow and I have a grading on Monday to get a higher belt. I have trained hard for both of these over the last 3 months so I cant really afford to miss out. I was thinking about just taking painkillers beforehand and then doing both then resting afterwards but some people have advised me against it. Could this cause permanent or long lasting damage?
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cant be sure as ti the extent of your injuries but from what you've written if you can barely walk I would strongly advise against taking part in any strenuous activity.
I understand the effort you have to go through to get a higher belt, but your health is worth more.
I know you will be gutted now, but there's always another chance. I've too had to miss my grading sometimes due to unfortunate events.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by starfab)
Cant be sure as ti the extent of your injuries but from what you've written if you can barely walk I would strongly advise against taking part in any strenuous activity.
I understand the effort you have to go through to get a higher belt, but your health is worth more.
I know you will be gutted now, but there's always another chance. I've too had to miss my grading sometimes due to unfortunate events.
Yeah I think it could just be damaged muscle, I've put ice on it and it seems to be easing it slightly, I just really don't want to miss out since I've worked hard for this and it'll all be for nothing if I can't do it.
shawtyb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what would mr miyagi say
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok so I train in a martial art and yesterday someone kicked me harder than they were supposed to in the top of the calf. It has been in agony since and I can barely walk. However I am supposed to be at a competition for the martial art tomorrow and I have a grading on Monday to get a higher belt. I have trained hard for both of these over the last 3 months so I cant really afford to miss out. I was thinking about just taking painkillers beforehand and then doing both then resting afterwards but some people have advised me against it. Could this cause permanent or long lasting damage?
From what you've said it is pretty significant pain. If you're having difficulty putting weight on it or walking i'd suggest you get it looked at by a doctor. You can call 111 to check the best place (and maybe get an apointment booked), but i'd tend to say urgent treatment centre/ walk-in or GP if you can get seen within the next day or two.
It may be muscle damage like a bruised muscle? I would suggest taking painkillers and using warm pads and trying to take it easy until you can see a doctor and get their advice. There are certian meds that are better for certian injuries and they can advise you on that as well as checking to make sure it's nothing serious. Some things could have a potential to cause some long term damage if you don't treat it properly.

I certinally wouldn't suggest you exercise or train until you know what it is (and probably even then). If you are keen on training still, tell the doctor that so they can at least give you advice on how not to hurt yourself more doing it.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah I think it could just be damaged muscle, I've put ice on it and it seems to be easing it slightly, I just really don't want to miss out since I've worked hard for this and it'll all be for nothing if I can't do it.
I've been through something like this. Talk to your instructor/sensei about it and I am sure that they will also tell you that your health is worth more. Who knows, maybe you will be better by grading day.
However, I don't think you can risk tomorrows competition as this could lead to a more permanent injury. There will be other opportunities.
:hugs:
Your hard work has not gone to waste... unless you forget that knowledge
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Being in agnony sounds more like an injury. You should listen to your body, but that level of pain indicates going to see the Dr , who will probably suggest RICE (Rest, ice, compression elevantion). You cna if you wish leave it 48 hours to see if it settles, but if its constant pain throughout then that indicates injury to me and you need it assessed.

I would say the competition is out and another kick on the injured area isnt going to be smart.

The grading on Monday I dont know. You ahve to see how it feels closer to the time and dont like to yourself. remeber it sounds like the nature of your sport means someone could be imposing forceful contact to the injured area again. To that extent i wouldnt risk it and most likely you will need to rearrange the garding for another time as well. Injuries happen. The worts thing you could do is go in injured and make it worse, turning something that may need a weeks recovery into a more serious injury that needs several months to recover from.

You either have common sense and look after yourself or you do not.

Complete no brainer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (113)
15.44%
Uncertainty around my education (120)
16.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (70)
9.56%
Isolating with family (50)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (28)
3.83%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (64)
8.74%
Loneliness (78)
10.66%
Financial worries (29)
3.96%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (65)
8.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.42%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (68)
9.29%

Watched Threads