The Student Room Group

Change of choices

Im currently studying biomedical engineering at UCL. Ive been at uni for almost 2 months and have decided i want to become a chemical engineer instead. I achieved A*AB while most of the best unis want 3 As and above. Is it possible to drop out , retake exams, and get offers from the likes of UCL, imperial and manchester for chemical engineering for the next academic year?
Original post by Garvey1998
Im currently studying biomedical engineering at UCL. Ive been at uni for almost 2 months and have decided i want to become a chemical engineer instead. I achieved A*AB while most of the best unis want 3 As and above. Is it possible to drop out , retake exams, and get offers from the likes of UCL, imperial and manchester for chemical engineering for the next academic year?

Probably, but I'm sure there are already universities that will take you with A*AB. Maybe you could transfer at your current university?
Reply 2
they've said no as my B is the issue, hence why i feel i should retake if it is possible to get offers for next year after doing so.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Probably, but I'm sure there are already universities that will take you with A*AB. Maybe you could transfer at your current university?

Pretty much all unis wanted 3 As for chem eng bar a few unis that are not up to par, also i want to go to one of the ones i listed.
Pretty much all unis wanted 3 As for chem eng bar a few unis that are not up to par, also i want to go to one of the ones i listed.

If you want to become a chemical engineer you would go to whichever university offers you a place on an accredited degree course. The reality is that in industry, many don't consider any university to be "up to par", in terms of teaching relevant skills and material relevant to becoming a practising engineer in industry, but if the degree is IChemE accredited, it at least demonstrates a clear minimum standard and likely isn't much better or worse than another accredited degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
If you want to become a chemical engineer you would go to whichever university offers you a place on an accredited degree course. The reality is that in industry, many don't consider any university to be "up to par", in terms of teaching relevant skills and material relevant to becoming a practising engineer in industry, but if the degree is IChemE accredited, it at least demonstrates a clear minimum standard and likely isn't much better or worse than another accredited degree.

I understand that, but most of these unis would not take me with my current B in chem, so i wanted to know whether me leaving uni, retaking chem, and applying would be possible
I understand that, but most of these unis would not take me with my current B in chem, so i wanted to know whether me leaving uni, retaking chem, and applying would be possible

It is possible but why tf would you waste time retaking an a-level when you already have the required grades to do the same degree elsewhere?
Reply 7
Original post by trapking
It is possible but why tf would you waste time retaking an a-level when you already have the required grades to do the same degree elsewhere?

bro its too late to transfer and do the course this year, so why not retake and get into a better uni, i don't mind putting the work in and retaking one subject and working at the same time

Quick Reply

Latest