The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Postgraduate Applicants for 2017 Start

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExpatMustang
I could very well be wrong! I'm not entirely sure as to how the whole process works in the U.K., I just know from when I have talked with individuals in the admissions office it has been indicated to me that they wait for all your references.

It could also be true that, depending on the caliber of your application (high marks, lots of research, work experience, etc. etc.), they didn't care so much about your references! I know in the U.S. it is well known among applicants that while LORs are important, many colleges just ask for them as a formality and don't give them much credence. Then again, at other U.S. colleges, a good LOR can make or break your application. Totally dependent upon on the university and the department at the university you are applying to!

Or this can all be hogwash and they're just REALLY REALLY quick in making decisions! :biggrin:

Yeah I heard that, in the US, LoRs are VERY VERY important and could really make a difference. In Europe we generally tend to see them more as a formality, as you said - which also causes professors to be quite "ummm" when you ask them for a LOR, as they are not very used to that (at least here in Italy)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I have an offer for MA Terrorism, Security and Society. Final reference uploaded on the 13th January and I got an offer on the 18th, so all in all about 3 working days to get an offer.

Anyone else considering going into private accommodation ?
Reply 62
Original post by AkatsukiZetsu
Does anyone know when will KCL starts to consider the applications? Is it after every item ahs been submitted (including referees)? or do they start considering it without the referees?

I got my unconditional offer 3-4 weeks after I submitted the application, before my second reference uploaded her letter. I'd say it's on case by case basis.

Anyone else got an offer for the Public Policy and Management course?
Just got my offer for the Political Economy of Emerging Markets MSc! Super pumped! They've had my application for like 3.5 months and I was starting to get curious as to why there was such a long delay
Original post by Andi.di
I got my unconditional offer 3-4 weeks after I submitted the application, before my second reference uploaded her letter. I'd say it's on case by case basis.

Anyone else got an offer for the Public Policy and Management course?

Hi, I have an offer for Public Policy (I know it's not quite the same but the courses share some similar modules). It took me 3 weeks to get an offer (it arrived on my birthday too!) so I was very pleased to get an offer so quickly :smile:
Sent off MSc (Pre-Reg) Physiotherapy application 10 weeks ago and still heard nothing back! Anyone had a response? :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by GemmaConlin
Hi, I have an offer for Public Policy (I know it's not quite the same but the courses share some similar modules). It took me 3 weeks to get an offer (it arrived on my birthday too!) so I was very pleased to get an offer so quickly :smile:

Great, congrats! Not bad of a birthday present :smile: Do you mind sharing your profile? I am curious about others in these programmes!
Reply 67
Original post by vittoriaguzman
hi! just applied to Cultural and Creative Industries and the Arts and Cultural Management MA. Anyone else out there?

In the process of writing the application essay for the same course! Should be sending in my application by next week :biggrin:
Hi everyone!

I am currently studying in the US and I have been applying to universities in the UK for international relations masters programs. King's College is my top choice. I have about a 3.3 CGPA right now, but will probably have about a 3.5 CGPA by the time I graduate in May, which is pretty much the exact minimum, or maybe a little bit less than what King's is asking. I'm really banking on my personal statement, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities and experience helping me out. Although, i'm not sure how much consideration UK schools give those aspects when making their decisions.

I applied a few days before Christmas, and I haven't heard back yet and I am starting to get really nervous. How long do decisions usually take? I only applied at the International Relations MA, which I now realize is one of the most competitive programs offered at King's. I have been thinking about submitting an application for other programs such as International Peace and Security or Conflict, Security and Development in order to make my chances of getting admitted a bit better. Although, i'm worried if I apply to other programs after having my application in for this long would just make me appear desperate.

Also, out of the three schools I applied to I have so far only gotten into City, University of London, which was my third choice out of the three. On this website many people are claiming that it is a "**** uni" and that they accept everyone. Is this true? Also, City has given me six weeks to accept my place and pay a deposit there, I'm worried I won't hear back from King's or the other university I applied to before that six week time is up. Any suggestions on what to do there?

Thanks!
Original post by gelavender
Hi everyone!

I am currently studying in the US and I have been applying to universities in the UK for international relations masters programs. King's College is my top choice. I have about a 3.3 CGPA right now, but will probably have about a 3.5 CGPA by the time I graduate in May, which is pretty much the exact minimum, or maybe a little bit less than what King's is asking. I'm really banking on my personal statement, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities and experience helping me out. Although, i'm not sure how much consideration UK schools give those aspects when making their decisions.

I applied a few days before Christmas, and I haven't heard back yet and I am starting to get really nervous. How long do decisions usually take? I only applied at the International Relations MA, which I now realize is one of the most competitive programs offered at King's. I have been thinking about submitting an application for other programs such as International Peace and Security or Conflict, Security and Development in order to make my chances of getting admitted a bit better. Although, i'm worried if I apply to other programs after having my application in for this long would just make me appear desperate.

Also, out of the three schools I applied to I have so far only gotten into City, University of London, which was my third choice out of the three. On this website many people are claiming that it is a "**** uni" and that they accept everyone. Is this true? Also, City has given me six weeks to accept my place and pay a deposit there, I'm worried I won't hear back from King's or the other university I applied to before that six week time is up. Any suggestions on what to do there?

Thanks!

Hey there! I am also an American who applied to the U.K. for graduate programs!

Even with a 3.3, you're meeting King's minimum preferred GPA so if you get it up to a 3.5 this last semester, you'll be pretty set. However, I hate to say it but do not be surprised if you don't get your first choice with the M.A. in International Relations, with how competitive it is there is a good chance that you might not get it. That being said, your GPA is fine for all of their other programs, though I do know from personal experience that for the Conflict, Security, and Development M.A. your GPA needs to be pretty high up there (they also have an admissions cap of 30-45 students, and it fills up quickly). I applied with a CGPA of 3.553 and didn't get it, but it was my second choice and luckily I got my first choice at King's (MSc Political Economy of Emerging Markets).

I know you said King's is your preferred school, but SOAS also has a very similar program (MSc Violence, Conflict, and Development) that I applied for and I got it. SOAS doesn't have any admissions caps for their programs so as long as you meet the minimum criteria and write a good personal statement (I also reached out to the program convenor with a few general questions, he was a really nice guy). Not a lot of people seem to give a lot of love to SOAS but if you're interested in the international development world at all (like I am), they're ranked like 11th in the world, which is pretty impressive! I would also check out University College London (UCL) as they have a ton of programs very similar to King's, I got in there as well and you and I seem to have similar academic stats.

In regards to getting an answer from King's, I called them and they said if I don't have an answer within a week to message them, so I would recommend calling them and asking what the hold up is. From what I have been told these kinds of issues are not uncommon for KCL. I think you will for sure have an answer by the end of the month, but if you're like I am, the sooner, the better, so I would call!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought the more information the better! If you want to PM me with more questions that's fine, too!
Hey there! I am also an American who applied to the U.K. for graduate programs!

Even with a 3.3, you're meeting King's minimum preferred GPA so if you get it up to a 3.5 this last semester, you'll be pretty set. However, I hate to say it but do not be surprised if you don't get your first choice with the M.A. in International Relations, with how competitive it is there is a good chance that you might not get it. That being said, your GPA is fine for all of their other programs, though I do know from personal experience that for the Conflict, Security, and Development M.A. your GPA needs to be pretty high up there (they also have an admissions cap of 30-45 students, and it fills up quickly). I applied with a CGPA of 3.553 and didn't get it, but it was my second choice and luckily I got my first choice at King's (MSc Political Economy of Emerging Markets).

I know you said King's is your preferred school, but SOAS also has a very similar program (MSc Violence, Conflict, and Development) that I applied for and I got it. SOAS doesn't have any admissions caps for their programs so as long as you meet the minimum criteria and write a good personal statement (I also reached out to the program convenor with a few general questions, he was a really nice guy). Not a lot of people seem to give a lot of love to SOAS but if you're interested in the international development world at all (like I am), they're ranked like 11th in the world, which is pretty impressive! I would also check out University College London (UCL) as they have a ton of programs very similar to King's, I got in there as well and you and I seem to have similar academic stats.

In regards to getting an answer from King's, I called them and they said if I don't have an answer within a week to message them, so I would recommend calling them and asking what the hold up is. From what I have been told these kinds of issues are not uncommon for KCL. I think you will for sure have an answer by the end of the month, but if you're like I am, the sooner, the better, so I would call!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I thought the more information the better! If you want to PM me with more questions that's fine, too!

Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, MA International Relations would be my first choice, so i'm obviously worried about not getting into that. I haven't applied to any other programs at King's, but I would like to. I'm just worried that it would reflect poorly on me if I were to apply to two other similar programs two months after submitting the first application. Maybe I am just overthinking it though. I will be sure to look into the other programs, I would just feel kind of bad making my references send in even more letters for me. Also how did you call them? Do they have a US number you can call them at?
Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, MA International Relations would be my first choice, so i'm obviously worried about not getting into that. I haven't applied to any other programs at King's, but I would like to. I'm just worried that it would reflect poorly on me if I were to apply to two other similar programs two months after submitting the first application. Maybe I am just overthinking it though. I will be sure to look into the other programs, I would just feel kind of bad making my references send in even more letters for me. Also how did you call them? Do they have a US number you can call them at?

Are the other programs in the same department? If not, there will be completely different people reading through your application so you won't need to worry about that. I think it would be worth applying anyway, you never know how it will work out! I felt the same way about making references write more letters, I applied to 11 programs and felt awful about making them do all that writing. But, I figure it's part of their job and if they like you they're probably happy to do it.

Regarding calling them, you can use the phone number they have on their website for their admissions office, I called them using the Skype app on my phone to avoid getting charged for an international call. Just keep in mind the time difference!
Are the other programs in the same department? If not, there will be completely different people reading through your application so you won't need to worry about that. I think it would be worth applying anyway, you never know how it will work out! I felt the same way about making references write more letters, I applied to 11 programs and felt awful about making them do all that writing. But, I figure it's part of their job and if they like you they're probably happy to do it.

Regarding calling them, you can use the phone number they have on their website for their admissions office, I called them using the Skype app on my phone to avoid getting charged for an international call. Just keep in mind the time difference!

Unfortunately not, the only programs I can find that I am interested in are ones in the War Studies Department. But yeah I guess you are right about the references. I will probably send in a few more applications and call them tomorrow.

Have you made a decision on where to go yet? It sounds like you've gotten into a lot of programs already.
Unfortunately not, the only programs I can find that I am interested in are ones in the War Studies Department. But yeah I guess you are right about the references. I will probably send in a few more applications and call them tomorrow.

Have you made a decision on where to go yet? It sounds like you've gotten into a lot of programs already.

Over in the war studies postgrad thread, some other have been rejected for certain courses, and accepted in others so it's totally dependent on your profile. I'd apply for as many as you can, one of them will take you! I hold an offer for MA Terrorism, Security and Society

^^What he said. Apply to everything you can, it won't hurt you. That's the policy I've followed and it has worked really well for me thus far!

I've actually only gotten into 3 programs right now, and they're King's MSc Political Economy of Emerging Markets, SOAS' MSc Violence, Conflict, and Development, and UCL's MPA Development, Technology, and Innovation Policy. I've ruled out SOAS, but will probably do King's first and defer enrollment at UCL until 2018. So I'll (hopefully) be doing both programs. US schools are just really slow in getting answers, they said I should have them by mid-March, but I've pretty much decided on KCL and UCL.
^^What he said. Apply to everything you can, it won't hurt you. That's the policy I've followed and it has worked really well for me thus far!

I've actually only gotten into 3 programs right now, and they're King's MSc Political Economy of Emerging Markets, SOAS' MSc Violence, Conflict, and Development, and UCL's MPA Development, Technology, and Innovation Policy. I've ruled out SOAS, but will probably do King's first and defer enrollment at UCL until 2018. So I'll (hopefully) be doing both programs. US schools are just really slow in getting answers, they said I should have them by mid-March, but I've pretty much decided on KCL and UCL.

Original post by Calllu-m
Over in the war studies postgrad thread, some other have been rejected for certain courses, and accepted in others so it's totally dependent on your profile. I'd apply for as many as you can, one of them will take you! I hold an offer for MA Terrorism, Security and Society

Well congrats to both of you on your offers! Looks like i'll be spending some time tomorrow sending in a few more applications. Although I don't think that I see any programs at UCL that interest me as much as the ones in KCL's War Studies Department do.. How long did KCL take to get a decision back to each of you? And yeah, schools in the US usually take a long time, I'm not applying to any though haha.
Well congrats to both of you on your offers! Looks like i'll be spending some time tomorrow sending in a few more applications. Although I don't think that I see any programs at UCL that interest me as much as the ones in KCL's War Studies Department do.. How long did KCL take to get a decision back to each of you? And yeah, schools in the US usually take a long time, I'm not applying to any though haha.

I applied to UCL and KCL on the 3rd January, both became complete on the 12th, I got my offer from KCL on the 18th January, and an offer from UCL yesterday. KCL War Studies has been my dream postgraduate location since my second year of undergrad so I've accepted and paid my deposit for my place.

I applied to KCL in October and got my acceptance January 31, I was starting to get really antsy about the delay but after talking to others I wasn't surprised by it. So don't interpret the delay in getting a response as a rejection! Also, I applied to UCL December 23 and got accepted February 1.

Maybe some of the U.K. members can help direct you to other notable War Studies programs at other universities outside of KCL, though I do know KCL's is top notch.
Original post by Calllu-m
I applied to UCL and KCL on the 3rd January, both became complete on the 12th, I got my offer from KCL on the 18th January, and an offer from UCL yesterday. KCL War Studies has been my dream postgraduate location since my second year of undergrad so I've accepted and paid my deposit for my place.

Wow that's so quick, I wish mine was like that too! One of the schools I applied to got back to me after about two weeks now which I think is what's making me inpatient on waiting on my decision from the rest haha.
I applied to KCL in October and got my acceptance January 31, I was starting to get really antsy about the delay but after talking to others I wasn't surprised by it. So don't interpret the delay in getting a response as a rejection! Also, I applied to UCL December 23 and got accepted February 1.

Maybe some of the U.K. members can help direct you to other notable War Studies programs at other universities outside of KCL, though I do know KCL's is top notch.

Yeah I think that's what is making me so anxious is that i'm thinking that the delay is a rejection. When you applied to multiple programs at King's did you use the same references? I'm just wondering if I need to contact my references again or if it will just transfer automatically in their system.

Quick Reply

Latest