The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Questions about the University of Nottingham? Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Exceptional
Hang up a picture of the campus in front of your study area, that should motivate you!

Accommodation is paid for termly with me - the government sends the loan and then I transfer it to the account of my accommodation provider via an online system.

What's the sport vibe there like? I play football and heard from other Notts undergaduates that there are 3G pitches, which you can enter for free?? What is the new David something centre like?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by JaseyRae
Really weird question, but did you choose your accomodation? I've heard some people don't get to and was just wondering 😂

Yeah you do, but some accommodation, particularly those in uni park, gets filled up really quickly so if you apply too late, you might not get your preferred accommodation.
Original post by ReallyWigga
What's the sport vibe there like? I play football and heard from other Notts undergaduates that there are 3G pitches, which you can enter for free?? What is the new David something centre like?

Sports vibe is huge, the David Ross sports centre is honestly the best in the UK. You can access tennis courts and some pitches without a membership, yes.

We're ranked 2nd or 3rd in BUCS at the moment I believe, so there's a lot of people who take it seriously, albeit probably less as a proportion than Loughborough.
Hi, which do you think is better? Raleigh park or Nottingham 2? And why do you think its better than the other. I dunno which to pick from the both.
Original post by crazyhacker123
Hi, which do you think is better? Raleigh park or Nottingham 2? And why do you think its better than the other. I dunno which to pick from the both.

I live in Nottingham 2 and I've got friends in Raleigh. Nottingham 2 is better, that's the consensus as far as room quality goes. We also have a gym and the staff seem better equiped to respond to any problems.

On the "down" side, the only flat that I know of that consists of students who are European is mine. The Asian community is huge here. The advantage is that it's relatively quiet, but the reputation that Asian students are quite cliquey remains true from what I see. Raleigh Park is more of a traditional "university experience" kind of accommodation for first years.
I live in Nottingham 2 and I've got friends in Raleigh. Nottingham 2 is better, that's the consensus as far as room quality goes. We also have a gym and the staff seem better equiped to respond to any problems.

On the "down" side, the only flat that I know of that consists of students who are European is mine. The Asian community is huge here. The advantage is that it's relatively quiet, but the reputation that Asian students are quite cliquey remains true from what I see. Raleigh Park is more of a traditional "university experience" kind of accommodation for first years.

Ohh right! Does raleigh park have a gym? So you say Nottingham 2 is better, how many flat mates does a normal en suite room flat get? How far is it from jubilee campus and the city center? There are supermarkets close by or do we have to go to the city to buy our groceries?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ohh right! Does raleigh park have a gym? So you say Nottingham 2 is better, how many flat mates does a normal en suite room flat get? How far is it from jubilee campus and the city center? There are supermarkets close by or do we have to go to the city to buy our groceries?

Thank you :smile:

Raleigh Park doesn't have a gym and it has smaller beds and rooms.

In Nottingham 2 we have five rooms in a flat - Raleigh is the same I believe.

Both are equidistant from Jubilee Campus, literally a 5 minute walk. There's a bus stop next to the accommodation that takes you to town, an average journey is about 10 minutes, maybe less. It'd take 30 minutes to walk.

Nottingham 2 is incorporated into a Lidl, Subway, Greggs, Domino's and a noodle bar. Everyone who lives here or at SPC/Raleigh uses them.

Have a walk around the area on Google Maps, it'll get you acquainted with the layout. :smile:
Raleigh Park doesn't have a gym and it has smaller beds and rooms.

In Nottingham 2 we have five rooms in a flat - Raleigh is the same I believe.

Both are equidistant from Jubilee Campus, literally a 5 minute walk. There's a bus stop next to the accommodation that takes you to town, an average journey is about 10 minutes, maybe less. It'd take 30 minutes to walk.

Nottingham 2 is incorporated into a Lidl, Subway, Greggs, Domino's and a noodle bar. Everyone who lives here or at SPC/Raleigh uses them.

Have a walk around the area on Google Maps, it'll get you acquainted with the layout. :smile:

Thank you so much for the information :smile:
What about the international students? Are there alot? Mostly are from which country?
Thank you so much for the information :smile:
What about the international students? Are there alot? Mostly are from which country?

At Nottingham 2? There are lots - mostly from East Asia. There are a few from the Middle East too and to a lesser extent, Europe. Not many British people from what I've seen, although all staff are.
At Nottingham 2? There are lots - mostly from East Asia. There are a few from the Middle East too and to a lesser extent, Europe. Not many British people from what I've seen, although all staff are.

Haha i meant the university :P
Hello,

I'm a first year at the University of Nottingham, approaching the end of my first semester. A lot of you will be deciding where to firm/insure soon, so ask away!

Have you been to the jubilee campus? What is it like there?
Haha i meant the university :P

Ah, sorry!

Yes, there are students from over 150 countries here. Again, lots of Asian nations are represented. Diversity is apparent everywhere, akin with the rest of Britain's top universities. I've met people from at least 20 countries on my course alone, and it's quite small in comparison to others (100 people).
Original post by Spratty
Have you been to the jubilee campus? What is it like there?

I study on Jubilee Campus, so yes!

It's small compared to University Park but there's a bigger community feeling. You can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes and I tend to see familiar faces when I travel between buildings. The HopperBus takes you to Uni Park within a few minutes if you want to benefit from the larger libraries on the other campus, as well as the Students' Union.

We have a Starbucks, gym, various private companies, interesting structures and places to relax aside from the faculty buildings.

I prefer this campus (it's one of the reasons why I chose my course at Nottingham).

This video might give you a better insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IxgJV_VSFU - although it's missing a few new buildings such as the recent Chemistry Lab and Entrepreneur Centre.
I study on Jubilee Campus, so yes!

It's small compared to University Park but there's a bigger community feeling. You can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes and I tend to see familiar faces when I travel between buildings. The HopperBus takes you to Uni Park within a few minutes if you want to benefit from the larger libraries on the other campus, as well as the Students' Union.

We have a Starbucks, gym, various private companies, interesting structures and places to relax aside from the faculty buildings.

I prefer this campus (it's one of the reasons why I chose my course at Nottingham).

This video might give you a better insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IxgJV_VSFU - although it's missing a few new buildings such as the recent Chemistry Lab and Entrepreneur Centre.

Thanks! I got an offer for Computer Science there :biggrin:
Ah, sorry!

Yes, there are students from over 150 countries here. Again, lots of Asian nations are represented. Diversity is apparent everywhere, akin with the rest of Britain's top universities. I've met people from at least 20 countries on my course alone, and it's quite small in comparison to others (100 people).

Oh okay :smile:
Do you anything about the FAM course? I have received an offer for that. Wondering how it is! 😁
How do you get on the Periodic Videos YouTube channel?
Reply 36
ask ur mum she is good in bed
Original post by Spratty
Thanks! I got an offer for Computer Science there :biggrin:

Well done!
Oh okay :smile:
Do you anything about the FAM course? I have received an offer for that. Wondering how it is! 😁

I do, FAM students share quite a few modules with Industrial Economists. Lecturers are good and you'll be learning generally from textbooks they've written. You have two optional module choices in each semester during first year, as well as four core modules in each semester.

There are lots of career events through the Business School, where most of your classes will be, as well as extra curricular opportunities like Enactus, entrepreneur competitions, writing for the Economics Review/Impact Magazine... there are too many to list, but there's something for everyone.

It's quite a big course - some modules are numerical like Quantitative Methods. Others are more qualitative, like Business Law. With optional modules, you could make your degree as qualitative or as quantitative as you want to (aside from the core modules you have to take).

What A levels are you doing?
Original post by astrobadger
How do you get on the Periodic Videos YouTube channel?

The staff in those videos are quite often seen around Uni Park - my advice would be to go and ask them or contact Brady. Or, become an aficionado on Chemistry without jeopardising your personality and then you'll probably be invited to talk about something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending