How to go about re-sitting A level exams? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I am an A level student who has just messed up their exams. I hadnt applied for university due to sheer laziness and was planning to do so in October and have a gap year in the ensuing academic year. I want to resit some of my A levels but was wondering where i apply to do this and how much each exam would roughly cost to retake. I went to a sixth form school, but my rapport there with the teachers is so poor that id prefer to try and help myself.

Also if i sat an AS exam, re-sat and did poorly again, does this mean i am now unable to sit the exam again, even if i have now finished the whole two year course. I think this question shows how out of touch i am with the education system.

Replies would be much appreciated people.
dee
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I am an A level student who has just messed up their exams. I hadnt applied for university due to sheer laziness and was planning to do so in October and have a gap year in the ensuing academic year. I want to resit some of my A levels but was wondering where i apply to do this and how much each exam would roughly cost to retake. I went to a sixth form school, but my rapport there with the teachers is so poor that id prefer to try and help myself.

Also if i sat an AS exam, re-sat and did poorly again, does this mean i am now unable to sit the exam again, even if i have now finished the whole two year course. I think this question shows how out of touch i am with the education system.

re-sits cost 10.00 per module, well thats what we pay school. i'm not 100% sure but i think if you re-sit, and do badly you can re-sit again but you forfeit the grade you already achieved eg.

FIRST ATTEMPT
86/100

SECOND ATTEMPT
70/100 you keep the 86/100

THIRD ATTEMPT

60/100 you must take this mark

That is what I've been told and I must say I'm not 100% sure. Hope this helps

d xx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Cheers very much

(Original post by dee)
re-sits cost 10.00 per module, well thats what we pay school. i'm not 100% sure but i think if you re-sit, and do badly you can re-sit again but you forfeit the grade you already achieved eg.

FIRST ATTEMPT
86/100

SECOND ATTEMPT

THIRD ATTEMPT

d xx
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dee)

FIRST ATTEMPT
86/100

SECOND ATTEMPT

THIRD ATTEMPT

d xx
I don't think that that's quite right. If you resit a module, and you get worse, you have the choice b/w the marks you first got and the marks you got on the resit. If you want to resit for the second time, you forfeit only the mark you got when you first did the module (i.e. from the example, the 86/100). Then the choice is the marks obtained from the 1st and 2nd resit.
dee
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I don't think that that's quite right. If you resit a module, and you get worse, you have the choice b/w the marks you first got and the marks you got on the resit. If you want to resit for the second time, you forfeit only the mark you got when you first did the module (i.e. from the example, the 86/100). Then the choice is the marks obtained from the 1st and 2nd resit.
That's not what i've been told, neway i'll check with my friend who re-sat sum of his AS modules. however, i'm sure i got that info off him!! I really don't think you choose to take the extra marks from the re-sit, you automatically get them - otherwise what was the point of it?? But if you do worse, you keep the original mark - it's this bit i'm sure of, it was the next part that i wasn't 100% on. Oh well im confusin myself now so!!

d xx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

The BBC have a webpage on cashing-in here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2188859.stm

ASW2 is an online school offering A levels, retakes and private tuition:
http://www.ASW2.net
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)

I think you're right

Phil
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%