The Student Room Group

Calling all mature students applying for adult nursing march/sept 2017

Hello, I am new to this so please bare with me...

I would like to introduce myself my name is NelFran, (Mature student) I am really interested in applying for Adult Nursing thinking to apply to LSBU, Essex, West London, Anglia Ruskin and Bedfordshire.

Anyone got any tips....

I currently have an Access to Nursing Level 3 behind my belt but don't think this is enough to get into uni. Some unis are expecting 21 distinctions and 18 merits etc (in credits equivalent) I don't think I have these and will struggle to get in. I do have 33 merits and 3 distinctions in credits so I am hoping this is enough.

Anyone else in the same or similar position feel free to reply to my discussion.

Even if your applying for the same course, lets chat!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nelfran29
Hello, I am new to this so please bare with me...

I would like to introduce myself my name is NelFran, (Mature student) I am really interested in applying for Adult Nursing thinking to apply to LSBU, Essex, West London, Anglia Ruskin and Bedfordshire.

Anyone got any tips....

I currently have an Access to Nursing Level 3 behind my belt but don't think this is enough to get into uni. Some unis are expecting 21 distinctions and 18 merits etc (in credits equivalent) I don't think I have these and will struggle to get in. I do have 33 merits and 3 distinctions in credits so I am hoping this is enough.

Anyone else in the same or similar position feel free to reply to my discussion.

Even if your applying for the same course, lets chat!

I'm applying for Adult Nursing at QUB, Ulster, Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield Hallam.

Have you sent your application yet?
Reply 2
I applied a couple of months back, how are you finding the process so far?

Since it's nearly the deadline for UCAS Applications I am guessing you have already applied.

Do you have any offers yet or interviews pending?
Reply 3
I only sent mine a week ago so not heard anything yet!

I'm a bit anxious as I'm not doing an access course and my A levels were a few years ago.

Have you heard anything?
Reply 4
I had an interview at the University of Bedfordshire back in December last year, I was unsuccessful with Anglia Ruskin and I am still waiting to hear from the other 3.

Get your preparation underway in terms of English and maths prep I found the entrance exams the most nerve racking part not to mention the interview.
Reply 5
Original post by KBAN2455
I only sent mine a week ago so not heard anything yet!

I'm a bit anxious as I'm not doing an access course and my A levels were a few years ago.

Have you heard anything?

Hi KBAN2455, I found it easier calling the universities and finding out even before applying, I told them my grades and if they would accept, but so long as your qualification isn't outside of the 5 years you should be fine, providing your personal statement is perfect.

What about experience? Do you have experience already included on your personal statement, I am sure your not the only student in this position. I believe all universities give each applicant's a fair chance.

Are your references done as part of UCAS yet?

Also updating you, I now have an interview for West London, now the waiting game in the others.

It's such a nerve-racking experience but definitely worth it in the end when we get offered a place at out first or second choice universities.

Good luck, feel free to drop any questions.
Reply 6
Hi KBAN2455, I found it easier calling the universities and finding out even before applying, I told them my grades and if they would accept, but so long as your qualification isn't outside of the 5 years you should be fine, providing your personal statement is perfect.

What about experience? Do you have experience already included on your personal statement, I am sure your not the only student in this position. I believe all universities give each applicant's a fair chance.

Are your references done as part of UCAS yet?

Also updating you, I now have an interview for West London, now the waiting game in the others.

It's such a nerve-racking experience but definitely worth it in the end when we get offered a place at out first or second choice universities.

Good luck, feel free to drop any questions.

I did speak to them on Open Days and it was fine! I got four As so grade wise I'm fine.

I have experience in a dementia care home and in a residential sixth form for autistic young adults so that's covered! Just worried as I'm currently a finance manager so concerned they may wonder why such a drastic change!

Thank you for the reply and congratulations on the interview, really great news.
My reference is done and I'm confident about my personal statement, I spent a lot of time on it hence my sending my application a bit later...
Reply 7
I did speak to them on Open Days and it was fine! I got four As so grade wise I'm fine.

I have experience in a dementia care home and in a residential sixth form for autistic young adults so that's covered! Just worried as I'm currently a finance manager so concerned they may wonder why such a drastic change!

Thank you for the reply and congratulations on the interview, really great news.
My reference is done and I'm confident about my personal statement, I spent a lot of time on it hence my sending my application a bit later...

You are sorted, good luck
Reply 8
You are sorted, good luck

Good luck to you too!
Reply 9
UPDATE!!!

I have been offered a place at Uni of Bedfordshire, still waiting on 3 more woo hoo!!!
UPDATE!!!

I have been offered a place at Uni of Bedfordshire, still waiting on 3 more woo hoo!!!

That is amazing news! Congratulations 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Reply 11
Thank you, so excited, still got 1 more interview at west london to prepare for yet
Reply 12
How did you prepare for your interview?
Reply 13
Original post by Zee99
How did you prepare for your interview?

Hi Zee99, I don't know if this message was for me but I'll answer it anyway :smile:

In terms of interview preparation, I would say firstly relax and don't let your nerves define you as a person. Yes we are all humans and nerves are natural but go into your interview with enthusiasm and a clear open mind.

Easier said than done right! Well here's some news for you. My first interview was the hardest one because I didn't know what to expect but when I sat my literacy and numeracy test I did the best I could to the best of my knowledge and ability. That's all we can do right! When I got through to interview stage I was over the moon and I knew It wasn't over yet I still had to prove myself.

Depending on the course you have applied for, I would advise you to research the role of a nurse/ midwife/ ODP and know it enough to answer any question about the subject and use your transferable skills and personal qualities and skills. Research the specific skills, qualities and personality of your chosen career. Look at what's going in the media for instance shortage of beds in many hospitals at the moment what are the implications of this on patients/ staff, the local community for instance. Know your subject inside and out. They are not expecting you to be an expert but it's useful to know and understand the demands and pressures of a nurse/ midwife and so on.

Another thing every university is different some will adopt a traditional interview style/ group exercise or an MMI - multiple mini interview or selection days. It's useful to know which style you will have to attend. Think about the questions you might be asked and situations that you might encounter working in the healthcare environment. Youtube is a good source or Google for looking for common interview techniques or questions.

Also, there are forums which discuss specific universities which may help you on your journey, I hope my response was helpful.

What have you applied for?
Reply 14
That is amazing news! Congratulations 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Hi KBAN2455, feels like ages, how are you whats new?
Reply 15
Hi Zee99, I don't know if this message was for me but I'll answer it anyway :smile:

In terms of interview preparation, I would say firstly relax and don't let your nerves define you as a person. Yes we are all humans and nerves are natural but go into your interview with enthusiasm and a clear open mind.

Easier said than done right! Well here's some news for you. My first interview was the hardest one because I didn't know what to expect but when I sat my literacy and numeracy test I did the best I could to the best of my knowledge and ability. That's all we can do right! When I got through to interview stage I was over the moon and I knew It wasn't over yet I still had to prove myself.

Depending on the course you have applied for, I would advise you to research the role of a nurse/ midwife/ ODP and know it enough to answer any question about the subject and use your transferable skills and personal qualities and skills. Research the specific skills, qualities and personality of your chosen career. Look at what's going in the media for instance shortage of beds in many hospitals at the moment what are the implications of this on patients/ staff, the local community for instance. Know your subject inside and out. They are not expecting you to be an expert but it's useful to know and understand the demands and pressures of a nurse/ midwife and so on.

Another thing every university is different some will adopt a traditional interview style/ group exercise or an MMI - multiple mini interview or selection days. It's useful to know which style you will have to attend. Think about the questions you might be asked and situations that you might encounter working in the healthcare environment. Youtube is a good source or Google for looking for common interview techniques or questions.

Also, there are forums which discuss specific universities which may help you on your journey, I hope my response was helpful.

What have you applied for?

Thank you, you have kind of made me less stressed than I was. I am applying for adult nursing, how long did your interviews last?
Hi KBAN2455, feels like ages, how are you whats new?

I've got an interview for Nottingham on the 18th. (MMI, no English & Maths test)
And a withdrawal from Ulster as no funding for English students.
What's new with you?
Reply 17
I've got an interview for Nottingham on the 18th. (MMI, no English & Maths test)
And a withdrawal from Ulster as no funding for English students.
What's new with you?

Hi KBAN2455, Thats great good luck are you prepared?

I am still waiting on Essex and South bank to get back to me!
Reply 18
Original post by Zee99
Thank you, you have kind of made me less stressed than I was. I am applying for adult nursing, how long did your interviews last?

Hi Zee99, I have only had 2 interviews, the first was a group interview which lasted around 20-30 minutes and then the traditional face to face interview it lasted around the same time.

My second interview was MMI consisting of several stations, you answer the question then move on.

What unis have you applied for?
Reply 19
Hi Zee99, I have only had 2 interviews, the first was a group interview which lasted around 20-30 minutes and then the traditional face to face interview it lasted around the same time.

My second interview was MMI consisting of several stations, you answer the question then move on.

What unis have you applied for?

I have applied for Nottingham, Derby, Birmingham city, Lincolin and Sheffield Hallam Uni's. Have you heard back from any Uni's yet? And if the uni's were far from yours how did you get there? By public transport or car, or do you think its better to stay there overnight?

Quick Reply