mathislife
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am in my final year at Warwick studying Maths Bsc, expected to get a 2:1, do I stand a chance in getting funding for a Msc in either Finance or Economics?

If so, how do I go about it?
tutonic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
While you stand a chance to gain admission, funding is absolutely out of the question since you don't have a First. You might be able to get it at Warwick since they can judge you more holistically, since you're from there anyway but outside of Warwick, I'd say pretty unlikely.
mathislife
Rep:
?
(Original post by tutonic)
While you stand a chance to gain admission, funding is absolutely out of the question since you don't have a First. You might be able to get it at Warwick since they can judge you more holistically, since you're from there anyway but outside of Warwick, I'd say pretty unlikely.

Not even funding from a 'lower' russel group uni?
tutonic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not entirely optimistic of your chances. Simply put, this is how I see it. Every decent school will get quite a number r of applicants with a First. Since funding opportunities are fairly limited for each school, all else being equal, they'd get it over you since most of them are based on academic merit. I'm not implying you won't get any. Just that you shouldn't be hoping for it and manage expectations.
Oilfreak1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mathislife)
Not even funding from a 'lower' russel group uni?
You're not at oxbridge there are no "lower" russel group unis to you, just unis that score worse on league tables or are less represented in BB IBDs.

(Yes i know COWI is a thing, doesn't stop warwick being another run of the mill non oxbridge uni)

OT: i'm sure warwick will give returning students a discount. A 2.1 is nothing to shout about so funding is highly unlikely.
mathislife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oilfreak1)
You're not at oxbridge there are no "lower" russel group unis to you, just unis that score worse on league tables or are less represented in BB IBDs.

(Yes i know COWI is a thing, doesn't stop warwick being another run of the mill non oxbridge uni)

OT: i'm sure warwick will give returning students a discount. A 2.1 is nothing to shout about so funding is highly unlikely.

Ok thank you Oilfreak1!

Are you honestly saying they put all russell group unis, below cambridge and oxford, in the same tier?

If so, what makes you so sure? Surely, different unis have different ways of judging? Some may value Warwick better than Liverpool, for example? Some may not?

I get the 2.1 thing though.
Oilfreak1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok thank you Oilfreak1!

Are you honestly saying they put all russell group unis, below cambridge and oxford, in the same tier?

If so, what makes you so sure? Surely, different unis have different ways of judging? Some may value Warwick better than Liverpool, for example? Some may not?

I get the 2.1 thing though.
Being on a course with both harvard grads and university of leeds grads I can say without a shadow of a doubt that unless you went to oxbridge/HYP(and probably a few other big American names I cba to cite), where you went to university does not matter at all (as long as the course is accredited).

My proof of oxbridge being different? it's purely anecdotal I have plenty of friends on 2.2s from cambridge who ended up in UCL or Imperial for their masters in fairly competitive courses as well. (Finance, ChemE, phys etc.).

I'm not sure why but it appears at least to many postgraduate admissions tutors, an Oxbridge degree is distinctly different to any other UK degree. (again my evidence is anecdotal and someone could come along and say they've witnessed different).
mathislife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oilfreak1)
Being on a course with both harvard grads and university of leeds grads I can say without a shadow of a doubt that unless you went to oxbridge/HYP(and probably a few other big American names I cba to cite), where you went to university does not matter at all (as long as the course is accredited).

My proof of oxbridge being different? it's purely anecdotal I have plenty of friends on 2.2s from cambridge who ended up in UCL or Imperial for their masters in fairly competitive courses as well. (Finance, ChemE, phys etc.).

I'm not sure why but it appears at least to many postgraduate admissions tutors, an Oxbridge degree is distinctly different to any other UK degree. (again my evidence is anecdotal and someone could come along and say they've witnessed different).
Do you think theres a chance of me getting a scholarship at a non-russell group uni?
Oilfreak1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think theres a chance of me getting a scholarship at a non-russell group uni?
I don't know but its generally not worth doing a masters at a non russel group uni. best to get a job even something menial and pay your way through a more prestigious program in a year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads