GCSE Psychology Self teach Watch

Mimletz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm in Year 11 and I want to take an extra GCSE by myself, I was wondering if it is possible to self teach GCSE Psychology, I want to know if it is difficult or easy. Secondly which exam board is best for GCSE Psychology.
_gcx
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mimletz)
Hi, I'm in Year 11 and I want to take an extra GCSE by myself, I was wondering if it is possible to self teach GCSE Psychology, I want to know if it is difficult or easy. Secondly which exam board is best for GCSE Psychology.
It's possible. I would contact your current school/centre for information. I know little about GCSE Psychology, so I wouldn't be of much help in regards to commenting about difficulty.
Nye2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did aqa psychology gcse and taught myself - it was pretty straightforward and interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mimletz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nye2001)
I did aqa psychology gcse and taught myself - it was pretty straightforward and interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How difficult was it and what grade did you achieve?
doodledoo12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing Edexcel GCSE psychology at school as an extra lesson and it's easier than I thought it would be! The revision books is amazing! However it would take you two years not 1?! I assume you're trying to do it just this year x
Mimletz
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodledoo12)
I'm doing Edexcel GCSE psychology at school as an extra lesson and it's easier than I thought it would be! The revision books is amazing! However it would take you two years not 1?! I assume you're trying to do it just this year x
Yep, my aim is to try and do it starting now for the next exam period!
Nye2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How difficult was it and what grade did you achieve?
I got a C and was disappointed with this grade, however, I barely did any proper revision! None of the students in my class failed

Posted from TSR Mobile
doodledoo12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep, my aim is to try and do it starting now for the next exam period!
So summer 2017 or 2018?
Black Water
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by doodledoo12)
Edexcel isn't too bad.
MariamsRevision
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently in Year 10 and I'm doing Edexcel GCSE Psychology. The following is the course layout:
Unit 1:
Topic A - Perception 
Topic B - Dreaming
Unit 2:
Topic C - Do TV and video games affect young people’s behaviour?
Topic D - Why do we have phobias?
Topic E - Are criminals born or made?

So far it is quite straight forward and just mainly getting to grips with the concepts and information.

We also have access to the official books in lessons (available on Amazon and eBay) although I do have a free online version full of the complete revision notes, key words, activities, checklists etc if that's of any use to you.

We just completed a section of Topic A and had an assessment which I'm pleased to say that I got an A in. I believe that this was partly because of the fact that the majority of the questions were multiple choice and short answer which is common in the Unit 1 paper.

The overall structure of the Edexcel Psychology Exams:
Unit 1 - Perception and Dreams (1 hour, 15 mins) - 60 marks - 40% of the final grade
•Consists of multiple-choice and short-answer questions
Unit 2 - Social and Biological Psychological Debates (1 hour, 45 mins) - 90 marks - 60% of the final grade
•Multiple choice questions, short answers and some extended writing
• Tougher than Unit 1 as there is less MCQ and more questions requiring long answers
doodledoo12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MariamsRevision)
I'm currently in Year 10 and I'm doing Edexcel GCSE Psychology. The following is the course layout:
Unit 1:
Topic A - Perception 
Topic B - Dreaming
Unit 2:
Topic C - Do TV and video games affect young people’s behaviour?
Topic D - Why do we have phobias?
Topic E - Are criminals born or made?

So far it is quite straight forward and just mainly getting to grips with the concepts and information.

We also have access to the official books in lessons (available on Amazon and eBay) although I do have a free online version full of the complete revision notes, key words, activities, checklists etc if that's of any use to you.

We just completed a section of Topic A and had an assessment which I'm pleased to say that I got an A in. I believe that this was partly because of the fact that the majority of the questions were multiple choice and short answer which is common in the Unit 1 paper.

The overall structure of the Edexcel Psychology Exams:
Unit 1 - Perception and Dreams (1 hour, 15 mins) - 60 marks - 40% of the final grade
•Consists of multiple-choice and short-answer questions
Unit 2 - Social and Biological Psychological Debates (1 hour, 45 mins) - 90 marks - 60% of the final grade
•Multiple choice questions, short answers and some extended writing
• Tougher than Unit 1 as there is less MCQ and more questions requiring long answers
This is the same course I'm doing! But you do it over a two year period! This person wants to start now, he/she is in year 11 I've already been doing it for a year and a half and haven't finished the content yet! So I don't think they would be able to do it in 6 months! But yeah it's easy enough to get your head
Round! However you don't have to take GCSE
Psychology to take a level psychology x
AlexanderJenning
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I am in year 9, my school only does A-level psychology and I want to do it as well if you come figure out how to do it could you tell me?
epicnm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi.
I’m also in year 9 and I plan on self-studying GCSE Psychology. I am planning (and also recommend) using AQA as the exam board. This is what most DLP’s suggest.

There are several options when self teaching:
1. Through a Distance Learning Provider
DLP’s are really mixed in terms of their usefulness. There are several distance learning providers, including Oxford Homeschooling and ICS Learn.
2. Using a textbook-
I currently have three GCSE Psychology textbooks. One Collins, One oxford and one AQA.

Bare in mind that GCSE Psychology consists of lots of case studies that need to be remembered. I find this GCSE interesting and intriguing. My school also only offers GCSE Psychology at A Level.

Best of luck
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm doing Edexcel. It's ok so far but I think AQA is the most popular!
adiyan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hyy, i am in year 10 but till research methods psycology is really easy.i would email you some notes.And it is so easy that if you get some notes you can get an A* in it.its my promise to you.
jordy._.kordy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hiii, I am a year 9 self-teaching, it would be really helpful if you could email me some notes, thank youuuuu
(Original post by adiyan)
Hyy, i am in year 10 but till research methods psycology is really easy.i would email you some notes.And it is so easy that if you get some notes you can get an A* in it.its my promise to you.
Neelam nigar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Can you pleAse Email me your notes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads