The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do

I'm an F1 and I have a colleague who's an F1 but less than full time. He's been an F1 for 18 months plus and is struggling to progress.

I don't work with him much but we do talk especially as we're the same grade, so I feel like I know him well enough.

The problem is: behind his back, I know that other members of the team are frustrated by him. They compare us both because we're both F1s. And even though temporarily it makes me feel good to know that they think I'm a good F1 it makes me sad as well since, like I said, I know him. So I feel quite torn.

Not sure what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an F1 and I have a colleague who's an F1 but less than full time. He's been an F1 for 18 months plus and is struggling to progress.

I don't work with him much but we do talk especially as we're the same grade, so I feel like I know him well enough.

The problem is: behind his back, I know that other members of the team are frustrated by him. They compare us both because we're both F1s. And even though temporarily it makes me feel good to know that they think I'm a good F1 it makes me sad as well since, like I said, I know him. So I feel quite torn.

Not sure what to do.

Why has he been an F1 for 18 months? Did he fail to pass F1 the first time?
Reply 2
Why has he been an F1 for 18 months? Did he fail to pass F1 the first time?

Because they don't work full time as the OP has said.

OP you've been put in an awkward situation but there isn't really anything you need to do. Your colleague will have a supervisor who will be monitoring their progress so I'd focus on just trying to be a good friend and avoid getting sucked into the criticism.

Not sure what to do.

What do you want to do and what are you prepared to do?

1. If colleagues talk, they talk. You cant get involved or at least dont go ****ging him off as well.
2. Maybe keep your ears open and decide what aspects they are most frustrated with. There may be things he can change easily, which he in unaware of? Just how he interacts?
3. Decide if you want to befriend him? Go for a drink and ***** about the world, job etc and he might open up? Maybe that will give you an in?
4. The question then becomes how much you want to help him? Maybe you cna think of hints, tips or information that can ive you a good bang per buck oh helping him address issues?
5. Alternatively you cna be a passive non patronising friend.
6. Let him take the lead though or at least tread warily, less he gets the wrong idea. You want to avoid nosey, arrogant or patronising.
Reply 4
Original post by Sarky

OP you've been put in an awkward situation but there isn't really anything you need to do. Your colleague will have a supervisor who will be monitoring their progress so I'd focus on just trying to be a good friend and avoid getting sucked into the criticism.

I think that's probably what I'm going to have to do.

Original post by 999tigger

6. Let him take the lead though or at least tread warily, less he gets the wrong idea. You want to avoid nosey, arrogant or patronising.

I don't think I can bring it up in a way that won't seem patronising or arrogant. And I also don't want to be the person who goes "X said this about you"

It's an uncomfortable situation and I don't think it's my responsibility to be the bearer.

Thanks guys for both of your opinions
Well maybe if you become better friends he might open up about why its taken 18 months. Some people are skilled diplomatically and good at empathy, so they can do it without treating on toes. If you feel its beyond you then dont try. The fall back is just to be his friend, if you see him stuck, then you can offer to help and dont join in with slating him off if that is what other people are doing. At least you wouldnt be making things worse.
I have been in a similar situation in recent times with (mainly nursing) colleagues talking about someone at the same level as me who is LTFT. I didn't talk to her about that in particular, but she did often share some of the challenges of being LTFT, which I think a lot of people aren't so aware of - I know it was certainly not something I'd thought about. She still only got 6 months in each job despite being 60% hours, ie she still moved on when the rest of us did, rather than having a year in the job. It meant that she overall had a lot less time in the job, doing a larger number of little jobs. Less time to get to know the team, less time to get familiar with the peculiarities of that job. Less continuity of care if you're missing for part of the week - people often forget you've not been there and then get frustrated when you don't know what happened with patient x on Friday. So it's just overall harder to settle and get to know people and get to know the job. It could be any or none of those reasons why your colleague is struggling, but I think even for an outgoing confident person it is challenging to be LTFT, and even harder when you're very new / junior.
I've been in the same situation, albeit a little more removed than you. There was one FY1 who was so cautious and slow it was frankly dangerous. They'd take at least 2 hours per patient review when on call (not an exaggeration). I don't think they ever saw a patient without ordering an echo. I never worked with them though i was just hearing about it, Yet all my colleagues ever did was ***** about this FY1 and never actually do anything. I found that quite frustrating.

I'd say: if there are specific areas you are concerned about you should contact their clinical supervisor (presumably a consultant on your current placement). Or another consultant you trust. You can ask to do so anonymously. Just say you want to ensure they are aware of specific issues the team believes exist. I think this is valuable to a) protect patients b) to get this person any additional help they might need. Even if its just to make sure they're 'on the radar' as it were.

I've done the same for new nurses I thought were struggling (just informally telling the matron, just so they'd keep a closer eye you know). I think it helps them more than causes them problems.
(edited 7 years ago)
-

SJT options

A: take no action
B: join in with your colleagues discussing him behind his back
C: directly confront your colleagues and tell them they are unprofessional
D: based on colleague feedback, suggest ways he can improve his performance
E: gently explore why he may be struggling with FY1

Remember, do as you should do not as you would do.
Wth is an F1.....
Original post by Mystery.
Wth is an F1.....

You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
Wth is an F1.....

That's what a D4 would post :rolleyes:
I seriously don't get this
Original post by Etomidate
You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

Original post by nexttime
That's what a D4 would post :rolleyes:
I seriously don't get this

F1, previously known as PRHO, is what you are before F2, i.e. prior to CT1/ST1 unless you do GPVTS, that is.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Etomidate
F1, previously known as PRHO, is what you are before F2, i.e. prior to CT1/ST1 unless you do GPVTS, that is.

Spoiler

So like the keys at the top of the keyboard or what ?
So like the keys at the top of the keyboard or what ?

No. Look at the forum you're in. Perhaps google.

And does it really matter? The OP asked for help from people who would understand the scenario. Qualified members replied. They clearly know what F1 is, does it matter if you don't?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending