An academic but equally creative degree? Watch

RHutchison2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I have a dilemma. I feel as if there are two sides to me. Academic and creative.
I'm pretty much a 'straight A student' with the exception of one B in Higher maths. I've always considered studying a respected and academic degree such as medicine/law. But another part of me has always wanted to just be creative, in art, drama, music and film/media etc. But my love for the Arts, Biology and business just don't seem to be able to be combined in a career choice. Every time I look at uni courses I just feel as if I would lose a bit of myself if I go one way.
Any advice for someone in this situation? Or any uni courses them tick both cirteria?
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RHutchison2)
So, I have a dilemma. I feel as if there are two sides to me. Academic and creative.
I'm pretty much a 'straight A student' with the exception of one B in Higher maths. I've always considered studying a respected and academic degree such as medicine/law. But another part of me has always wanted to just be creative, in art, drama, music and film/media etc. But my love for the Arts, Biology and business just don't seem to be able to be combined in a career choice. Every time I look at uni courses I just feel as if I would lose a bit of myself if I go one way.
Any advice for someone in this situation? Or any uni courses them tick both cirteria?
You sound like a good fit for a liberal arts degree which may work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
This was so me before I applied. I went for the academic side because I thought there's a better job prospect. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

Did you do higher geography? I find it to be a good mix of creativity and academic.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go and visit the Wellcome Collection in London, or at least look at it online: Arts, Biology and Business can coexist very successfully. Think about your long term goal, not just the degree.
RHutchison2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Mystery.)
This was so me before I applied. I went for the academic side because I thought there's a better job prospect. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

Did you do higher geography? I find it to be a good mix of creativity and academic.
Nope, I did higher maths, English, art, drama and human bio
Also just out of interest what did you end up doing?
GetOverHere
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd personally say Dentistry, but that's me being biased as a dental student haha c:
Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
Ah ok. You know you can take three subjects in your first year so even you could even pick and mix for the first year to see if you really enjoy business/art/biology at a higher level.
Neuroscience sounds quite cool to me but I'm not sure of the creative element.
As for art, you could do interior design but then again less academic content.
I once asked about a similiar question at an open day in my school where all different representative from university came and they basically told me it's pretty difficult to think of one and recommended me to do something academic and keep the creative side as a hobby. Not really sure if this even helps.
Also as someone else suggested, liberal arts might be a good option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (38)
15.97%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (17)
7.14%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
7.14%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (26)
10.92%
Monster Munch (18)
7.56%