The Student Room Group

"Personal statement... don't bother". [MMU OPEN DAY]

So whilst at the MMU open day, I went to a psychology lecture. The admissions tutor said very clearly in the presentation that they don't bother looking at personal statements and that colleges put too much pressure on them when they aren't important in your application (at least in the case of MMU).

I literally nearly cried in that lecture theatre, I spent so long making sure it was grammatically correct with loads of enthusiasm for the course content. Hours in the morning creating it.... All to find out they don't bother.
Newcastle told me the same thing when I went to their open day earlier this year. Some unis it is just about grades.But I wouldn't be too worried if you have their entry requirements because for most (not speaking about all) you are likely to get an offer. Anyway a good personal statement will stand you in good stead for the other unis you are applying to!
Reply 2
Original post by Neddie001
Newcastle told me the same thing when I went to their open day earlier this year. Some unis it is just about grades.But I wouldn't be too worried if you have their entry requirements because for most (not speaking about all) you are likely to get an offer. Anyway a good personal statement will stand you in good stead for the other unis you are applying to!

I was hoping my personal statement would get me an unconditional offer (or push it more that way) *sigh*
It's MMU after all. They'll let you in if you can spell your name.

Spoiler

Reply 4
And MMU comes approximately halfway down all the uni rankings. Whilst rankings aren't everything, they do show that this isn't really the opinion of a top university.
Original post by Rigby16

I literally nearly cried in that lecture theatre, I spent so long making sure it was grammatically correct with loads of enthusiasm for the course content. Hours in the morning creating it.... All to find out they don't bother.

Being able to produce grammatically correct pieces of writing is a skill that will serve you well during a degree.
Even if all your Universities place little importance on a Personal Statement, it's time well spent.

At the very least it gets you to think long and hard about why you wish to do the course. If you begin to lose interest in the future, you can reflect upon those reasons. Furthermore, writing about yourself will be necessary when applying for jobs and internships in the future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rigby16
So whilst at the MMU open day, I went to a psychology lecture. The admissions tutor said very clearly in the presentation that they don't bother looking at personal statements and that colleges put too much pressure on them when they aren't important in your application (at least in the case of MMU).

Few universities look at the PS when deciding whether to make an offer (there are exceptions for heavily oversubscribed courses/universities - especially those like LSE who don't interview).

All universities will look at a PS on results week to decide whether to accept applicants who have missed their offer conditions.

It isn't that they aren't used - it's more that schools/colleges misrepresent how and when they're used.

Writing this sort of statement is something you'll need to do time and again in your adult life. Even if one of your five choices doesn't use it for your specific subject (for this year) that doesn't mean you've wasted your efforts.
Original post by Rigby16
I was hoping my personal statement would get me an unconditional offer (or push it more that way) *sigh*

You are only likely to get an unconditional if your predicted grades are two or three above the entry requirements and even then it is not certain you will get an unconditional!
Original post by Rigby16

Thank ****, my first choice is MMU Economics, having such a hard time finishing my personal statement and linking stuff to the subject, this gives me hope!
Reply 9
MMU Econ & Banking is my 3rd choice, might see you there :wink:
For the reassurance of those who spent hours on their PS, I just got an email from the head of department who read my personal statement and then commented on the different sections - it resulted in an unconditional offer!
I personally haven't heard any of the 9 top unis I visited say they didn't take your personal statement into account, in fact it can be what puts you above another candidate with the same predicted grades. Good luck nonetheless!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending