The Student Room Group

HP Laptop help...pavillion 360??

Hey guys,
I have been trying to find a laptop for university for a looooooong time and I have found this one : http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=E9M13EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Looks fine i guess, and it seems to be good (i'm no expert)

I would just like to know your opinions on this laptop and if you think it is suitable and good? Am doing a science degree so nothing fancy lol

Also, I would reallyyyy like to know if the battery can be changed in this laptop...if it can be removed or anything?

THANK YOU all:smile:

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
Hey guys,
I have been trying to find a laptop for university for a looooooong time and I have found this one : http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=E9M13EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

I would just like to know your opinions on this laptop and if you think it is suitable and good? Am doing a science degree so nothing fancy lol

Also, I would reallyyyy like to know if the battery can be changed in this laptop...if it can be removed or anything?

You are paying too much for a laptop which doesn't even have i3 or 8 gig!
Original post by john2054
You are paying too much for a laptop which doesn't even have i3 or 8 gig!

why do you say that? what do u mean?
It is 15% off btw so its 339.99 and not 399.99

I thought that intel pentium and intel core i3 are pretty much similar...and is 4gb not sufficient enough for university? I did look else where but the cheaper ones are 2gd, 32gb so i dunno

What laptop do you have if you do for universiy?
Reply 4
why do you say that? what do u mean?
It is 15% off btw so its 339.99 and not 399.99

I thought that intel pentium and intel core i3 are pretty much similar...and is 4gb not sufficient enough for university? I did look else where but the cheaper ones are 2gd, 32gb so i dunno

What laptop do you have if you do for universiy?

the laptop i got was £300, included an intel pentium i3 processor, and 8 gig ram. This is what i would recommend for you. Look again...
the laptop i got was £300, included an intel pentium i3 processor, and 8 gig ram. This is what i would recommend for you. Look again...

intel pentium i3? surely u mean intel core i3?

And that seems so good...but i genuinely cannot find any...can you tell me which laptop you have please?
Hey guys,

Rubbish laptop, try and get something with i5 core minimum
Reply 7
intel pentium i3? surely u mean intel core i3?

And that seems so good...but i genuinely cannot find any...can you tell me which laptop you have please?

yes intel core. i3 is the minimum you want really! Ideally with 8 gig of ram.
yes intel core. i3 is the minimum you want really! Ideally with 8 gig of ram.

ok...which laptop did you get?
How could i get that cheap? 15.6 is tooo heavy for me
How could i get that cheap? 15.6 is tooo heavy for me

Look for second hand i5's on gumtree and other places like that

Look, here's one: https://www.gumtree.com/p/macs/macbook-air-13-1.7ghz-i5-4gb-ram-256gb-ssd-good-condition/1200964054
(edited 7 years ago)
whatever you do don't buy off gum tree, i did that myself a few months ago, and was fleeced. You are much better buying new, and a new i5 is out of your budget range i'm afraid!
I will have a look thank you
whatever you do don't buy off gum tree, i did that myself a few months ago, and was fleeced. You are much better buying new, and a new i5 is out of your budget range i'm afraid!

oh really? ok......what laptop do you have that has all these things?
The problem with this laptop are 3 fold

- only 4 gigs of ram
- Non SSD (SSHD offer quick loads when you turn on but you won't notice any other difference)
- Only an N3710 processor
The last one is a little more complex. An I5 won't always be better then an I3 if the I3 is generations ahead. There are websites like CPU boss that make comparing processors very easy. Don't be fooled into thinking because a laptop has an "I5" it's always a good thing.

The truth is if you're happy with that then it's not a bad price. Once you go below the larger laptops you pay more for less performance because it takes more work to create smaller laptops. This levels out if you buy something like an XPS 13 but by that time you're spending well over £700.

If you really need something smaller you would be better off with a 2nd hand thinkpad or something similar.

May I ask what you're planning to use it for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for such a detailed answer!
I have looked at the websites you sent and the main problem for me is the size...I don't know if I can carry a 15.6 everyday for 4 years...

I totally get what you mean when you say to spend more and buy a better laptop but I genuinely cannot afford anything above about £340

I though ssd was better than hdd and it didnt matter if i got intel core or intel pentium?

The chromebooks usually have lower storage and ram..which I thought was bad,,.

Would you recommend an 8gb ram and 1tb hdd over a 4gb ram and 500b sshd?
the first choice suggested here looks good

I have looked at the websites you sent and the main problem for me is the size...I don't know if I can carry a 15.6 everyday for 4 years...

I totally get what you mean when you say to spend more and buy a better laptop but I genuinely cannot afford anything above about £340

I though ssd was better than hdd and it didnt matter if i got intel core or intel pentium?

i meant core not pentium

You need to try and get in to the habit of taking a pen and paper to uni, and writing notes in lectures. Or buy a dictaphone. I mainly use my laptop at home for writing up notes etc...
You need to try and get in to the habit of taking a pen and paper to uni, and writing notes in lectures. Or buy a dictaphone. I mainly use my laptop at home for writing up notes etc...

ohh ok ...yes that is a good idea
Thank you
the first choice suggested here looks good

i meant core not pentium

Ok so the 1tb hdd is fine compared to less ssd?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending