The Student Room Group

HP Laptop help...pavillion 360??

Scroll to see replies

Today's laptops are a lot faster than they used to be. Generally speaking they will boot up in under a minute if new. I don't see the need for ssd cards, but then i've never had one. Up to you.
Original post by john2054
Today's laptops are a lot faster than they used to be. Generally speaking they will boot up in under a minute if new. I don't see the need for ssd cards, but then i've never had one. Up to you.

ok i see what you mean thank you
Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
Thanks for such a detailed answer!
I have looked at the websites you sent and the main problem for me is the size...I don't know if I can carry a 15.6 everyday for 4 years...

I totally get what you mean when you say to spend more and buy a better laptop but I genuinely cannot afford anything above about £340

I though ssd was better than hdd and it didnt matter if i got intel core or intel pentium?

The chromebooks usually have lower storage and ram..which I thought was bad,,.

Would you recommend an 8gb ram and 1tb hdd over a 4gb ram and 500b sshd?

How do you take notes? Because if you're doing a science degree with any component at all of chemistry, maths, or physics then you will need to use a pen to draw structures and write equations; it's impossible to take typed notes for these classes. If you are using paper notes then it might be possible to leave the laptop at home or in your locker, making weight a little bit less of an issue, and the utility of a bigger screen might compensate when you actually do use it.

(alternatively you could follow a 'paper-free' system, but you'd need to double your budget and buy something like a Microsoft Surface with digital pen input. Although the Pavillion screen does bend back on itself so you can use it a bit like a tablet, the screen doesn't have an active digitiser so the experience of using an e-pen with it will be absolutely dreadful)

I'd really advise that you avoid chromebooks. You might get away with it if you're a law or history student and basically using web browsing and word processing, but as soon as you start needing to use special software or ancient legacy scientific websites that only function with Internet Explorer 6, you're screwed.
(edited 7 years ago)
oh right, I do get get you mean
I have looked at the websites you linked and I also searched up the difference between ssd and hdd
They say that hdd is more likely to be broken? what is your take on that?

The chromebooks are usually 4gb and celeron...does it matter?

Also, what is your opinion on these laptops if you dont mind having a look please
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5499317

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W8A33EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Y3V73EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

I was also wondering if the trackpad as a mouse mattered?

Thank you!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks
Right now I do not have a laptop at all...therefore I takes notes by pen and paper however there is sooo much content on each slide such as body structures that I simply am falling behind in taking notes...

I thought that I would be able to view the powerpoint on my laptop as well as copy paste any necessary information as I do tend to lose focus as well after a while since I fall behind too.

I would also only need the laptop to write up word documents and use spreadsheets on excel and most likely search up key information

I have also purchased E Books that my university recommended me to get and I would want to look at these while I am writing up any notes.

I have a desktop at home however my whole family uses it and if I wanted to refer back to the online book I would have to wait until they finished and by that time I get fed up...I also have a lot of free time between my lectures that I think if I take my laptop with me then I could use it to view the powerpoints and the Ebooks while I am writing up my notes at university rather than waiting to come home

I just want a suitable laptop for all these reasons

You're looking for a portable device, so you probably need to pay less attention to 'performance factors' (i3 versus i5 or SSD versus HDD) and look at what the device weighs and what the battery life is like, which will have much more impact on how much you enjoy using it! Remember, with the HP Pavillion, you are paying extra (in terms of money and weight) for gimmicks like the touchscreen which don't sound particularly relevant.

I'm a big fan of using 'pain points' to help identify your best laptop: rather than trying to figure out the things that you want most, try to figure out what annoys you most or would be absolute dealbreakers:

- Laptop too expensive (very important to you)
- Laptop too heavy (sounds very important)
- Laptop runs out of battery (you haven't mentioned this, but it's crucial on a high-portability device that you use in lectures a lot)
- Screen too small (doesn't seem to bother you too much so discount this)
- Laptop runs too slowly/crashes all the time
- Laptop runs out of storage quickly
- Nice speakers, screen performance, video cards, etc
- Can't use the full range of Windows
- Can't use the laptop without internet access

If the last two don't bother you, get a Chromebook. If the last two would cause problems, buy a Windows machine instead - if you could at all manage to squeeze another £130 into your budget, a Dell 13 XPS would be perfect, if not then an Asus Eeebook or Lenovo IdeaPad might work. The issue of storage/speed is really something where you get as much as you pay for, after everything else is taken care of - there's no point in getting a lightning-quick 1000 GB SSD device even if you could afford it if it has a battery life of 30 minutes and weighs 10 kg.
Original post by prospectivemed56
You're looking for a portable device, so you probably need to pay less attention to 'performance factors' (i3 versus i5 or SSD versus HDD) and look at what the device weighs and what the battery life is like, which will have much more impact on how much you enjoy using it! Remember, with the HP Pavillion, you are paying extra (in terms of money and weight) for gimmicks like the touchscreen which don't sound particularly relevant.

I'm a big fan of using 'pain points' to help identify your best laptop: rather than trying to figure out the things that you want most, try to figure out what annoys you most or would be absolute dealbreakers:

- Laptop runs out of battery (you haven't mentioned this, but it's crucial on a high-portability device that you use in lectures a lot)

If the last two don't bother you, get a Chromebook. If the last two would cause problems, buy a Windows machine instead - if you could at all manage to squeeze another £130 into your budget, a Dell 13 XPS would be perfect, if not then an Asus Eeebook or Lenovo IdeaPad might work. The issue of storage/speed is really something where you get as much as you pay for, after everything else is taken care of - there's no point in getting a lightning-quick 1000 GB SSD device even if you could afford it if it has a battery life of 30 minutes and weighs 10 kg.

Thank you for your reply,
If i was to buy the lenovo ideapad or asus eeebook like you suggested, then wouldnt I have to buy a USB as although they are suitable, the storage is just not enough for 4 years of work?
I wouldn't buy a chromebook. The "everything online" thing might sound good in theory but in practice it's a pain. If you're looking to spend a small amount get a 2nd hand thinkpad. I've come around to this in the last few weeks but a thinkpad X220/X230 are very cheap off Ebay for what you get. If you're looking to spend more there are options right now.

If you want a limited laptop buy something like an Acer R11 windows laptop ( http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5535295 ) you can stick linux on it if that's what you wish. You can on a chromebook but you can't use windows, and that can limit you.

What are the main points the laptop has to cover?

Original post by prospectivemed56

This list is a very good quicklist to look against.
ohhhh k..Yes, I also like the lenovo laptop however it is the 15.6 size and weight that is putting me off
Could you have a quick look at this laptop too..I really appreciate you opinions !

http://www.staples.co.uk/laptop-computers/cbs/224713910.html?promoCode=&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=224713910&m=0
Original post by SomeGuyHere
I wouldn't buy a chromebook. The "everything online" thing might sound good in theory but in practice it's a pain. If you're looking to spend a small amount get a 2nd hand thinkpad. I've come around to this in the last few weeks but a thinkpad X220/X230 are very cheap off Ebay for what you get. If you're looking to spend more there are options right now.

If you want a limited laptop buy something like an Acer R11 windows laptop ( http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5535295 ) you can stick linux on it if that's what you wish. You can on a chromebook but you can't use windows, and that can limit you.

What are the main points the laptop has to cover?

This list is a very good quicklist to look against.

ah ok i see
I'll also have a look at ebay then thank you

My main purpose would be to use it for word document and excel and to view my EBooks that I purchased for my university course.
I might also take it to lectures however on other people's advise I probably will just stick to notes however I would need it to view presentations and use them to make notes
ohh ok sorry about that
At the moment I am thinking of purchasing the hp laptop as it is 14 inch but most importnatly the battery life is upto 9hours
Which I think is useful http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Z5A31EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

I am just wondering what colour to get now in your opinion( sorry if i am being annoying with all the questions ha)
The silver( at the top that I like i think)or black

Really appreciate it thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
ok
This laptop is on sale for 322.14..is that not worth it for this laptop do you think?
And I genuinely cannot find it anywhere else
I thought the black might not let me see the keys as well as my finger smudges might occur rather than the silver one
oh does that mean it is not as popular too?
I did look at ebay and amazon also and they have the 14 inch laptop but are either AMD or celeron
Does it matter if the laptop is AMD or i3 processor?
Yes, but it is much too late for that now as I have purchased as I said earlier haha
But thank you.
I would just like to say thank you to you all (especially acsel for all the informative replies) in helping me decide what laptop to buy!
I would've genuinely bought the hp pavilionx360 but thanks to you all I was able to realise that a more traditional laptop would be more sturdy, durable and better for value
In the end I bought this laptop (£322.15):
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Z5A31EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Thanks all again!:cute:

good buy. when it arrives, make sure that the first thing you do is go to applications settings and remove norton and avast, then install avg and advanced system care from the internet. You will also need to put in your wifi password and username for this. Do you want the web addresses for avg and system care??

Also install office after you have done all of this, assuming you have it??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending