The Student Room Group

How Important are Mocks?

Hello,

The last two weeks have been horrible and I tried my best, but I am wondering the significance of our results. Are they just for an understanding of where you are currently working at? if anyone knows, please enlighten me with your knowledge!

Hazel:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Not really important as they don't count for anything.

Just an opportunity to see whether your revision strategy is working, what's going well and whether you need help in any particular areas.

Wouldn't stress too much over them. If they go well, it's a confident booster; if not then no big deal but good chance to reflect on how to do better next time.
Original post by Hazelac
Hello,

The last two weeks have been horrible and I tried my best, but I am wondering the significance of our results. Are they just for an understanding of where you are currently working at? if anyone knows, please enlighten me with your knowledge!

It depends. For the most part, yes, they're just to establish an understanding of where you're currently at. However, they may impact your predicted grades which in turn may impact your application to sixth form. But no, they're not the be all and end all, you still have time to improve.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
It depends. For the most part, yes, they're just to establish an understanding of where you're currently at. However, they may impact your predicted grades which in turn may impact your application to sixth form. But no, they're not the be all and end all, you still have time to improve.

Thank you!

I have already got into my two colleges/sixth forms or choice so hopefully they do not need to be provided with them! I don't think they will be awful, just not what I would have liked:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Interstellar3
Not really important as they don't count for anything.

Just an opportunity to see whether your revision strategy is working, what's going well and whether you need help in any particular areas.

Wouldn't stress too much over them. If they go well, it's a confident booster; if not then no big deal but good chance to reflect on how to do better next time.

They really don't matter too much. It might depend on the sixth form, but mine never mentioned them when I was applying. They're a good indication to see how much you know so far, but if you mess up it's fine. You still have plenty of time to improve :smile:
I think mocks are important in the sense that they show how much progress you have been making within subjects. I have mocks in February time and since my exams are May/June, I think mocks should be emphasised. They can either motivate you or knock your confidence leading up to exams.
The grades you get in mocks aren't important, what is important is what you learn from them ( e.g how to/not to revise, common mistakes, weak areas ect )
Reply 7
I will disagree with most of you all here! Mocks are supposed to be harder than your actual exams, so let's say you got a B in English, you might get an A in your finals. The Mock should be a real MOCK Paper though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hazelac
Hello,

Not really- not for GCSE's anyway.:smile:

Original post by Trevish
I will disagree with most of you all here! Mocks are supposed to be harder than your actual exams, so let's say you got a B in English, you might get an A in your finals. The Mock should be a real MOCK Paper though

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? My teachers made my mocks pretty hard last year- some used past papers but some actually took the time to make up their own questions which were pretty hard, unless I was just really stupid!:tongue:
Original post by SubZero~
I think mocks are important in the sense that they show how much progress you have been making within subjects. I have mocks in February time and since my exams are May/June, I think mocks should be emphasised. They can either motivate you or knock your confidence leading up to exams.

Wow. February is pretty close to your real exams!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Wow. February is pretty close to your real exams!:smile:

Can't tell if that was sarcasm or not, but yes, it doesn't seem like it but it really is. :smile:
Not really- not for GCSE's anyway.:smile:

What? My teachers made my mocks pretty hard last year- some used past papers but some actually took the time to make up their own questions which were pretty hard, unless I was just really stupid!:tongue:

That's what I meant. Mock should be harder than finals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mocks aren't really too important BUT if you ended up missing one of your real exams (bc u were hospitalised or saink) then they use your mock grade and maybe some of your other assessments and stuff to give you a grade. That's what I was told anyway. Maybe that was just for A-levels. But then again the system probably works the same way for all exams.
Mocks dont count for anything, they are for you to see what kind of results your getting.
Can't tell if that was sarcasm or not, but yes, it doesn't seem like it but it really is. :smile:

Yes, I meant it!:smile:
Yes, I meant it!:smile:

But is that sarcasm though? :rofl:
But is that sarcasm though? :rofl:

No, I wasn't being sarcastic!:smile:
No, I wasn't being sarcastic!:smile:

Hmm... :u:
Hmm... :u: