The Student Room Group

getting over someone u can never be with

i have a fairly strong crush on one of my good friends but the problem is she's already in a very steady, healthy relationship with one of my other good friends. they've been together for almost a year now and i can tell they're really happy and well-matched with each other. recently they exchanged promise rings so it's pretty serious and they're definitely headed for the long-term.

not that long ago my crush's girlfriend told me that my crush used to like me sometime in the academic year 2014/15. before that i'd kinda had suspicions that she had, or maybe that she even still liked me a bit at the beginning of their relationship. in march/april time this year i started seeing another girl who would often get jealous of the friendship i had with my current crush, telling me 'she blatantly likes u' which i dismissed, obviously not interested anyway as we were both in relationships at the time. there were also a few occasions where things would be implied by her. this one time i was outside for lunch with her and her gf plus a few other friends of ours and i accidentally called one of our other friends by my crush's name. as a joke, we then continued the conversation with swapped names and mine was swapped with her girlfriend's. her gf then said to her 'i know u've always wanted to f**k [my name]', to which she answered 'yep' without hesitation. i said 'good thing i'm [her gf's name] then hahaha!!' and the conversation moved on. she also seemed kinda sad when she found out i was seeing the girl i got with in march/april? maybe that's just bc they didn't really get along though.

i miss her so much recently because we're at different colleges now and i see her very sporadically. even when i do see her we're rarely alone and we don't get to talk like we used to. a couple of weeks ago we did end up having a good conversation and she said she missed talking to me and worried if i was okay three or four times a week. it was so lovely and it reminded me of how happy she makes me.

but all of this is irrelevant anyway really because i know that even if they did break up we could never be together bc that would mean sacrificing my friendship with her girlfriend ((especially bc i know she would be profoundly affected by their split as she's quite an emotionally intense person and i can see she really loves her)) and i love her and value our friendship too much to ever do that to her. this goes without saying considering the above, but i have no intention of interfering in their relationship either - their happiness is ultimately the most important thing.

even though i wasn't close with either her or her gf until they got together it's difficult thinking what might've been. i thought that if i just ignored my feelings they would eventually subside but it's been months now and i still think about her every day and hope she'll text.

any advice on ways to get over her and move on?
Original post by Anonymous
i have a fairly strong crush on one of my good friends but the problem is she's already in a very steady, healthy relationship with one of my other good friends. they've been together for almost a year now and i can tell they're really happy and well-matched with each other. recently they exchanged promise rings so it's pretty serious and they're definitely headed for the long-term.

not that long ago my crush's girlfriend told me that my crush used to like me sometime in the academic year 2014/15. before that i'd kinda had suspicions that she had, or maybe that she even still liked me a bit at the beginning of their relationship. in march/april time this year i started seeing another girl who would often get jealous of the friendship i had with my current crush, telling me 'she blatantly likes u' which i dismissed, obviously not interested anyway as we were both in relationships at the time. there were also a few occasions where things would be implied by her. this one time i was outside for lunch with her and her gf plus a few other friends of ours and i accidentally called one of our other friends by my crush's name. as a joke, we then continued the conversation with swapped names and mine was swapped with her girlfriend's. her gf then said to her 'i know u've always wanted to f**k [my name]', to which she answered 'yep' without hesitation. i said 'good thing i'm [her gf's name] then hahaha!!' and the conversation moved on. she also seemed kinda sad when she found out i was seeing the girl i got with in march/april? maybe that's just bc they didn't really get along though.

i miss her so much recently because we're at different colleges now and i see her very sporadically. even when i do see her we're rarely alone and we don't get to talk like we used to. a couple of weeks ago we did end up having a good conversation and she said she missed talking to me and worried if i was okay three or four times a week. it was so lovely and it reminded me of how happy she makes me.

but all of this is irrelevant anyway really because i know that even if they did break up we could never be together bc that would mean sacrificing my friendship with her girlfriend ((especially bc i know she would be profoundly affected by their split as she's quite an emotionally intense person and i can see she really loves her)) and i love her and value our friendship too much to ever do that to her. this goes without saying considering the above, but i have no intention of interfering in their relationship either - their happiness is ultimately the most important thing.

even though i wasn't close with either her or her gf until they got together it's difficult thinking what might've been. i thought that if i just ignored my feelings they would eventually subside but it's been months now and i still think about her every day and hope she'll text.

Come and join the club... literally just me.
Anyway, just act like normal and try to prevent any outbreaks that would ruin you two as friends. The feeling would soon disappear
and you'll move on naturally.
Reply 2

Can i ask are you all girls? i got a bit confused reading it anyway the best way to get over someone is not to see/talk to them you will eventually get over her and find yourself not thinking of her as much but that is if you cut contact.
I think it hurts more as you have regrets thinking what if you asked her out back then what could have been.
Just keep busy with work or hobbies and make new friends you could meet someone new and your feelings for this crush will disappear.
If they do split up and you still have these feelings i would suggest going out with her regardless what your friend will think. Be honest after college you will not have much contact with this person and if they were a good person they would accept it and be happy for you.
Reply 3
I think a friendship is not really a viable option here if it hurts you too much. I understand it's hard to cut her off completely but you need to slowly transition away from her and reduce contact as much as possible. If she is heading towards the long term, there's nothing much you can do.
As a person who fancies somebody I end up unable to be with something like every other year I can confirm it's basically a case of waiting. Oftentimes cutting down the amount of contact speeds things along exponentially.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
As a person who fancies somebody I end up unable to be with something like every other year I can confirm it's basically a case of waiting. Oftentimes cutting down the amount of contact speeds things along exponentially.

This. And no stalking on Facebook, turn off their appearances in Memories as well.
Then find someone else to get together with.
Original post by ckfeister
Come and join the club... literally just me.
Anyway, just act like normal and try to prevent any outbreaks that would ruin you two as friends. The feeling would soon disappear
and you'll move on naturally.

Aha ditto ! Just act normal and pretend certain things you hear about them don't gut you form the inside out :colone:
Anyone else felt like this was a ***** to read?
Reply 8

The **** is a promise ring? Is that like a kiddie version of engagement?

You get over her by realizing that life goes on, and getting with someone you actually grow to love, rather than "have a crush" on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending